The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh Water Tank Issues

+2
Paulmold
Barbaraandjim
6 posters

Go down

Fresh Water Tank Issues Empty Fresh Water Tank Issues

Post by Barbaraandjim Mon May 29, 2023 8:26 pm

We have recently purchased a new to us Warwick XL, when we picked it up it had a full tank of fresh water and travelled home with this, as we had been told this was okay.  We set off on our first trip away, having still having an almost full tank.  When we arrived at our campsite, we decided just to manually top up the water tank to ensure we had a full tank as we don't know how long the tank would last.  We suddenly realised we had a problem and the water was flooding out the other side and on investigation, we had lost the drain-down tap and hose.  We were lucky enough to be within distance of getting it looked at/repaired.  The hose and tap were just pushed on, with nothing like a jubilee clip holding it.  Yes we do live in the country and some of the roads around here are a bit pot-holed to say the least, so we think that because of the full tank and the bumpy road we lost the whole drain-down system.  We would love to know if anybody else has had a similar issue and what they did to rectify.  Okay if we are going to a campsite we can fill up on arrival (and drain down when we leave - which is a waste of water) but we do some 'wild' camping and don't really want to be carrying additional water carriers with us.
We are looking at putting additional clips to ensure it is held on and ensuring the tap part is firmly held up but would love to hear other peoples thoughts and ideas.
Many thanks
Barbaraandjim
Barbaraandjim

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Fresh Water Tank Issues Empty Re: Fresh Water Tank Issues

Post by Paulmold Mon May 29, 2023 8:39 pm

As you've found out, the waste hose is simply held up by a Terry clip and as youve also found out the hose is simply a push on fit to the tank. I think most of us with this arrangement have found the answer just as you have - put a jubilee clip on.

Perhaps you could take a minute to introduce yourself....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And by the way, we always travel with about half a tank and carry a 2 gallon can to top up.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

frederic and Barbaraandjim like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed May 31, 2023 7:17 am

My flexible freshwater pipe came from A-S with a jubilee clip at both ends and a terry clip holding up the tap end.  I found quite early on that unclipping the tap end dislodged the jubilee clips resulting in the whole thing falling apart.  The solution was to refit with two tightened jubilee clips at each end and to recheck their security from time to time.  If your van came without jubilee clips it was deficient.

Last edited by Caraman on Wed May 31, 2023 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : waste to fresh)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Barbaraandjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed May 31, 2023 7:49 am

In addition to the foregoing measures, I've added some wire to the drain tap, which - in the event that the tap end were to be dislodged from the retaining clip - would suspend the tap from the chassis so that the tap would not drag on the ground. Otherwise, if the clip failed, the tap would quickly be damaged and the whole hose & tap might be dragged off. 
Have done the same for the grey water drain tap.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed May 31, 2023 8:14 am

I amended my last post from wastewater pipe to freshwater pipe.  But it is worth saying I had similar problems with the rigid wasterwater pipe falling apart as it only had push fit connections.  I solved this in the end with pipe cement (the sort used for plastic downpipes and guttering) although I am not sure that is the right thing to do as the pipe is now fused to the tank.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Barbaraandjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Wed May 31, 2023 10:35 pm

Our waste water pipe came off as well. Used duct tape to keep it joined up.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:53 am

I am just about to replace the  blue fresh water drain hose due to splitting through old age, ours is just pushed on at the tank end no jubilee clip, clipped tap end and Terry clip to secure in the up position, I always travel with a full tank

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down