The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin

5 posters

Go down

replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin Empty replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin

Post by shantymanles Tue May 09, 2023 3:52 pm

Good afternoon all you travellers.  I have a 2000 Symbol, When opening the leftx/nearside back door I am facing the back panel of the Shower/toilet. The plastic/Formica panel has faded severely and is cracking. I am looking to replace it, but thus far I've been unable to trace a code number for the pattern (if it still exists) and what thickness it is (1/2/3 mm ?) if I have to us white. The original colour is something like a light walnut wood grain. Anyone else out there had a similar problem??
shantymanles
shantymanles

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin Empty Re: replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue May 09, 2023 4:03 pm

Bit of lateral thinking, we damaged the counter top on our 2014 WXL, after several failed attempts at repair we tried self adhesive floor tiles fro B&Q. 18 months on they are showing no sign of deterioration or losing adhesion

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin Empty Re: replacing decorative plastic/formica on cabin

Post by Paulmold Tue May 09, 2023 4:25 pm

My Symphony was 3 years older and had wood veneer panel not Formica, are you sure yours is Formica.? The original wood colour was light oak. Wood Silk helps bring out the grain and colour but obviously won't work on Formica.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Tue May 09, 2023 6:01 pm

I had that issue on 2004 symbol. I removed the panel. made a new one added storage opening as there is wasted space behind and sourced Fablon Beech Pale from Amazon with spray adhesive also from amazon. I reversed the wood panel to get the correct fit and trimmed corners a bit as necessary.
orac
orac

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Tue May 09, 2023 6:08 pm

As a follow up to my last post. I lived with it for a bit but didn't like the fake wood finish again and wanted to update it. SO I bought from Ebay some grey van lining (the stuff that looks like felt), re-covered the panel with that, then bought edge strip (the black bendable automotive stuff with metal backbone) and lined the storage opening. It looked very smart and a bit more up to date. Just an idea for you.
orac
orac

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue May 09, 2023 6:23 pm

I have used this company for  Vinyl to cover a few things , excellent service and a quality product in a number of various wood finishes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by shantymanles Tue May 09, 2023 7:37 pm

Paulmold wrote:My Symphony was 3 years older and had wood veneer panel not Formica, are you sure yours is Formica.? The original wood colour was light oak. Wood Silk helps bring out the grain and colour but obviously won't work on Formica.
Well Paul. What am I like? Your suggestion, plus hindsight, tells me that plastic/Formica would not fade surely, and certainly would not crack. Therefore You are probably right. My next step is to take it off and examine. Also I'll try Wood Silk on the smaller panel at the end of the draining board on the right/offside.        Thank you. Les.
shantymanles
shantymanles

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shantymanles Tue May 09, 2023 7:46 pm

orac wrote:As a follow up to my last post. I lived with it for a bit but didn't like the fake wood finish again and wanted to update it. SO I bought from Ebay some grey van lining (the stuff that looks like felt), re-covered the panel with that, then bought edge strip (the black bendable automotive stuff with metal backbone) and lined the storage opening. It looked very smart and a bit more up to date. Just an idea for you.
Thank you. Les
shantymanles
shantymanles

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shantymanles Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:I have used this company for  Vinyl to cover a few things , excellent service and a quality product in a number of various wood finishes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thank you. Les.
shantymanles
shantymanles

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shantymanles Sat May 13, 2023 6:43 pm

shantymanles wrote:Good afternoon all you travellers.  I have a 2000 Symbol, When opening the leftx/nearside back door I am facing the back panel of the Shower/toilet. The plastic/Formica panel has faded severely and is cracking. I am looking to replace it, but thus far I've been unable to trace a code number for the pattern (if it still exists) and what thickness it is (1/2/3 mm ?) if I have to us white. The original colour is something like a light walnut wood grain. Anyone else out there had a similar problem??
 For info for anyone else with my problem.........I took the panel off, which was a simple enough job and lo and behold it was 4mm ply ( 1374mm x 588mm.   [54" x 23 1/8"]. Next step is to try and find a supplier with the same pattern, otherwise I will use white.  Hope this is of interest.
shantymanles
shantymanles

Male

Boots likes this post

Back to top Go down