The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

older vans

+7
Spoonvet
IanH
inspiredron
jay07bu02
groundhog
Tinwheeler
rambling man
11 posters

Go down

older vans Empty older vans

Post by rambling man Sat May 06, 2023 8:20 pm

im looking at older vans they seem better made than the more newer models,the exterior and interior are really nice but underneath even low probably summer milage they are corroded and wonder if its worth a punt on one and in essence how long could i get out of ones think this may be a well known problem but im new to forum so any advice welcome thanks geoff
rambling man
rambling man

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : still looking
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

older vans Empty Re: older vans

Post by Tinwheeler Sat May 06, 2023 8:27 pm

I’m sure you will get some advice but, first, why not introduce yourself as requested. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The whole of the Welcome section provides useful tips and rules on posting. up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by rambling man Sat May 06, 2023 8:32 pm

im new ,ill look into that one thanks ill find my feet in time hugegrins
rambling man
rambling man

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun May 07, 2023 6:30 pm

rambling man wrote: ill find my feet in time hugegrins
Hopefully not through a rusty floor! snigger

Good hunting, they don't build 'em like they used to hence the reason older decent vans make so much money!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

rambling man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jay07bu02 Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 pm

I remember going to see a low miles symbol in Scotland in 2015.  It was immaculate but a brief look underneath revealed a rotten underside.  Dealer would only put an MOT on it once it had been sold. Salty seafront home had killed that one.

Campervans are based on commercial vans so rust protection is not top of their list as they often die before rust is an issue.  It can be expensive to get all the interior out if it needs new floors welding in.  Once rust has appeared it needs cutting out.
jay07bu02
jay07bu02

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Windrush
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun May 07, 2023 10:21 pm

And don't ignore emission zones and the costs of entering them - deliberately or by accident.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon May 08, 2023 6:37 am

The main reason I bought this Exec is was it is totally rust free. The fact that it needed lots of other work was secondary to its lack of rust. I consider rust to be, effectively, incurable, at best an ongoing headache. (Have a look in Members Factsheets, Exec, a new project and you can see what this one has had done)
That out of the way, the best reason for older vans is my key word.... SIMPLICITY! 
No complex Sargent electrics look in SEARCH, type in Sargent and you'll see what I mean.
No complex ECUs on the engine
No fridges with computers running them
I could go on.
The point re emissions zones is well made, mine is Euro 3,  the zones are well marked and easily avoided with good satnav. An example is an Aire in Berlin which we're using later this year, metres outside the LEZ but close to city centre, there's even route details to it to not infringe the LEZ. For other places, either stay outside and use public transport to visit, or, as we tend to do, certainly in UK, avoid all places with an LEZ altogether.
We're currently back on Spain, mostly on Aires, mostly, and, usually for us, no Ehu, just solar and gas.2.8 turbo diesel copes with even the most demanding of mountain passes with ease.
I could go on!!!!
Worst possible option, imho, is to buy brand new......
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

bikeralw, rambling man and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

older vans Empty advice

Post by rambling man Mon May 08, 2023 7:21 am

IanH wrote:
The main reason I bought this Exec is was it is totally rust free. The fact that it needed lots of other work was secondary to its lack of rust. I consider rust to be, effectively, incurable, at best an ongoing headache. (Have a look in Members Factsheets, Exec, a new project and you can see what this one has had done)
That out of the way, the best reason for older vans is my key word.... SIMPLICITY! 
No complex Sargent electrics look in SEARCH, type in Sargent and you'll see what I mean.
No complex ECUs on the engine
No fridges with computers running them
I could go on.
The point re emissions zones is well made, mine is Euro 3,  the zones are well marked and easily avoided with good satnav. An example is an Aire in Berlin which we're using later this year, metres outside the LEZ but close to city centre, there's even route details to it to not infringe the LEZ. For other places, either stay outside and use public transport to visit, or, as we tend to do, certainly in UK, avoid all places with an LEZ altogether.
We're currently back on Spain, mostly on Aires, mostly, and, usually for us, no Ehu, just solar and gas.2.8 turbo diesel copes with even the most demanding of mountain passes with ease.
I could go on!!!!
Worst possible option, imho, is to buy brand new......
thanks ian great advice, new too much money too much tech, i want a simple life not puzzling over overcomplicated electronics, we are on the same wavelength lez zones i want a van to escape so lez zones are avoided, will be harder as its a way for local councils to make money, thanks for advice and enjoy spain it looks like your well sorted and a very nice van cheers geoff
rambling man
rambling man

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spoonvet Mon May 08, 2023 3:01 pm

I have a 1999 Duetto - lovely van and very solid, chasis is good, bodywork - I spent £4K last year and its mint now. Older vans will require constant investment - hence as above find a good one and inspect thoroughly. I was looking to upgrade but have decided I can't justify the high prices.
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2008

rambling man and JandL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon May 08, 2023 4:18 pm

I once took a punt on buying a campervan with no MOT, something i'd never usually do and not recommended. However the price was right and the sellers phone was ringing off the hook so I took the plunge. It was a 1993 SWB Transit converted by Leisuredrive. The interior was fine but it was the underside which concerned me and when I took it for MOT they wrote it off as a basket case! However one of the guys put me in touch with an independent welder who wasn't fazed by the work and gave me a very reasonable quote.

I used it for touring and commuting to work for five years or so then sold it. I don't know who owns it now but that van is still on the road to this day!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

rambling man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon May 08, 2023 6:45 pm

One of my best moves regarding rusty vehicle repairs was to make friends with a self employed car restoration welder and fabricator. 
Some of restorations he carried out would make most people run a mile. One of his latest was a VW Camper  that had been sat on a barn floor with no wheels on it. It required most of the floor pan replacing. He manufactured a lot of the panels from sheet steel. 
Unfortunately during the time of owning the Duetto he couldn’t fit it in his original workshop.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

rambling man and Spoonvet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Mon May 08, 2023 9:47 pm

I changed from a great condition 2004 Symbol to a 2017 Symbol. The build quality, fittings, insulation all much better in the older wagon. Plus simple to use. Diesel heater-on, off, thermostat. Similar for hot water etc. My main reason for changing was that we do long distances, so wanted better driving experience easier more modern lighter feel to the wagon. It fulfils that fantastically, but the unnecessary electronics are a big turn off as far as I'm concerned. It seems in most things a case of we can do it so irrespective of benefit/useability, we'll do it and hike the price. Pity. Anyone for a 5 speed (no-slow fast medium not good enough) heater fan ?
orac
orac

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

rogerblack, rambling man and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 09, 2023 6:53 am

I think of things, perhaps differently to most. 
I'd have liked to do my own self build using a 6m max panel van.
Now you have a blank sheet to work from
It'd have a ring 12v main of 30A cable from  LB all the way around about 1m from floor. Everything would be connected to that, all fuses or cb's. As much solar as roof space, connected to both batteries via 10A fuses at batt +ve terminals. All -ves direct to body shell there then to batt -ve
No electronics apart from solar controller. Simple 240vac ring, CB protected for EHU use. Modern composting toilet, compressor fridge.
No gas at all, all diesel fired incl hob and Ch.
Cruise control and can Aircon from van original
What I'm really trying to say is utter simplicity so therefore near total reliability and the ability to be off grid for as long as the fresh water lasts!!?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

bikeralw and rambling man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue May 09, 2023 7:08 am

IanH wrote:I think of things, perhaps differently to most. 
I'd have liked to do my own self build using a 6m max panel van.
Now you have a blank sheet to work from
It'd have a ring 12v main of 30A cable from  LB all the way around about 1m from floor. Everything would be connected to that, all fuses or cb's. As much solar as roof space, connected to both batteries via 10A fuses at batt +ve terminals. All -ves direct to body shell there then to batt -ve
No electronics apart from solar controller. Simple 240vac ring, CB protected for EHU use. Modern composting toilet, compressor fridge.
No gas at all, all diesel fired incl hob and Ch.
Cruise control and can Aircon from van original
What I'm really trying to say is utter simplicity so therefore near total reliability and the ability to be off grid for as long as the fresh water lasts!!?

Not differently to me Ian up!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

rambling man and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down