The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older Boxer Gear Selection

5 posters

Go down

Older Boxer Gear Selection Empty Older Boxer Gear Selection

Post by Terry Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 pm

I e-mailed Diamond Dave regarding the user unfriendly gear selection on my 1999 Boxer based Harmony.
Just in case it doesn't appear in PMH the following advice from Diamond Dave might be of use, (if it doesn't breach any copyright)-

The Boxer gearshift is managed by two heavy duty Bowden cables ( a bit like bicycle brake cables but heavier gauge) and is usually pretty reasonable. I have encountered a few vehicles where it was less than satisfactory though and there are a couple of possiblities as to what is causing your problem.
1/ dry/corroded ball joints on the gearbox end of the cables, they can be seen from underneath looking up from behind the engine on the vehicles nearside. A good dose of spray grease on the cable end fittings and associated couplings will often help.

2/ the cables may be out of line and professional help will be needed to adjust them properly.

3/ There have been issues with the scuttle drain tube not being sealed and allowing rain water to enter the gearbox through the gearchange shaft. This water gets mashed up with the gear oil to form a thick and sticky mess that can cause stiff gearchanges. Again professional help will be required to clean the gunge out and refill with good clean oil and seal the scuttle drain tube.

The problem existed when we first owned this specific Harmony and it went back the Peugeot garage and HO in Coventry about 10 times before it improved a little. Turns out the Harmony went through AS quality control in June 1998, we bought it from new in April 1999, plenty of time for the gremlins to seep their way in !!
As I've said elsewhere we're not going far for days out but I'm now on a mission to get it finally sorted out !
She's my baby and the gear selection, knackered drivers seat, faded plastic wood panels WILL be put right.
Daniel at P&P Campers has done his bit now its my turn.
Once that's done, new Uni Royal Rain Max 2's for the new year.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Older Boxer Gear Selection Empty Re: Older Boxer Gear Selection

Post by roli Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 pm

There is a thread on the water issue on the forum, thanks for posting the info sure it will be of value to Boxer owners.

Regarding the gear shift there was one other possible cure, lift the boot from around the gear lever and squirt WD40 on the knuckle joints and down the cables, worked well for us on our last van doing every 6 months or so.
Again you should find a thread on here what others did.

roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Older Boxer Gear Selection Empty Boxer gearshift

Post by Terry Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly try the WD40. I feel heartened in a way that others have had similar issues, I could have done with a forum back in 1999 when up against a sustained defence by the main Peugeot dealer and Peugeot UK. If it hadn't been for Charles Trevalyn's personal intervention I wouldn't have made any progress at all.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Terry,

I've had a fair bit of experience with first generation Boxer gearboxes, water ingress and poor selection. Please see these other earlier topics, in particular my description of the mechanism at the gearbox end of the cables. There's much more to it than rusty ball joints!

Key issue: is the gear lever stiff fore-aft or left-right, or both?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Stuart aka Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Blimey, I thought it was me and when I think back to the grief I had in 1999-2002 well, words fail me!! Thanks for the leads to the various solutions, I'll start with the cheapest, a can of WD 40, followed by some spray grease on the knuckle joints and cables in the cab. Not so sure I know my around the oily bits from underneath, its pity we can't exchange photos on here, I can see what needs to be done better than I can read it, a man thing probably ! Still my son is due to visit soon, I bribe him with the promise of a takeaway, The Frying Fish in Warsash, he'll be under the van before you can say 'large chips' !!
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Terry, where are you located?

If you're passing Redditch at any time I'd willingly take a quick look at it for you.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Halfway between Southampton and Portsmouth J9 M27, and we're unable to travel very far at present. Mrs H is recovering from a stroke so we're on a 20-30 mile radius from here for day trips only.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Sorry to hear of your wife's health problem. I was in the area last weekend but may come down again inthe future if you wanted to meet-up. Just let me know.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Let me know when you're next due down this way and if I'm still struggling with the gear selection issue, we'll try and meet up. I'll re-read the advice for the lower end of the gear selection joints and have a good look for myself.
Thanks for your continued interest, the information received so far may well save me spending money at garage rates for an unknown outcome.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:29 am

Bartfarst wrote:Sorry to hear of your wife's health problem. I was in the area last weekend but may come down again inthe future if you wanted to meet-up. Just let me know.

Bartfarst

Bartfarst ...... You're a 'Star' allthumbz allthumbz

The World needs more of you !!

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 am

Just attacked the top end of the gears with my trusty can of WD40, the one with the straw permanently attached so I could get right inside, what a difference !! I then lifted the bonnet and traced the cable run to the gearbox and gave that a blast as well.
Still a bit of loosening up to do, but looking good so far.
I'm not surprised that there's a bit of an issue as the gearbox is on the LHD side so the cable run is longer than ideal.
I'm a bit concerned about getting WD40 onto rubber bushes so I'd like to be re-assured on that one.
I'm going to get a spray can of grease as well. any recommendations ?
It makes me angry when I think about the hassle we had back in 1999 when the problem 1st arose and the run-around we got from the dealers and Peugeot HO. If I'd known the problem was so widespread and that there was a simple solution rather than being told 'you need e new clutch, that'll £600 and no, its not covered by the warranty' ! Grrrr.
Thank you Bartfarst, rant over. up!

Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 am

I have watched this thread with great interest because I find the gear selection on my 1995 Executive is a bit on the stiff side. My question is much more basic. The gaiter over the gear change handle appears to be fixed behind a plate at the end nearest the dash. Is it merely a case of putting some force into prising the gaiter loose, or am I missing something obvious. Sorry for my poor description - you will gather that I am not in the least mechanically minded, but I do have a can of WD40. smile!
Thanks,
Mick.
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:50 am

Mine is a 1999 and is clipped into place, I started to prise it off from the top edge. Putting back needs care so as to not break the plastic lugs that holds it in place. Good luck.
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Older Boxer Gear Selection Empty Boxer Gearshift

Post by Terry Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Bartfarst- spurred on by your encouragement I got my future son-in-law to go through the gears up top while I stuck my head under the bonnet checking what was actually moving ! Everything has now been WD40'd and then followed up with a spray of white grease. It all feels a lot easier, at last.
ps I think he likes me as he wasn't tempted to start the engine and give me a heart attack !!
All I need now is a Dukdalf set of steps and handrail and we're rockin' !!
Thank you for your help. allthumbz
Terry
Terry
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down