The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas fittings in an older Symbol

2 posters

Go down

Gas fittings in an older Symbol Empty Gas fittings in an older Symbol

Post by niftyprose Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:44 pm

Hello guys, my first post here. We bought a 2004 Symbol in excellent condition and are in love with it. The vehicle has seen little use and has been parked indoors for several years. We had an opportunity to talk at length with the previous owner, who's now housebound. He had gone to the same campsites for years, and was in the habit of running everything on electrical hookup.

As expected, the water heater and fridge run perfectly on electric. However, despite following the manual to the letter, I haven't been able to get either of them to start on gas. (To get the obvious suggestion out of the way: the cooker lights fine, and I made sure that I opened the gas taps to all three appliances.) The water heater is a Truma Ultrastore and the fridge is a Dometiq. 

I'm struck by the fact that both appliances are offline, and I'm hoping that someone will say "Oh, that's just..." We want to take the vehicle offgrid in a few weeks. Make my day!

Best, NP
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Gas fittings in an older Symbol Empty Re: Gas fittings in an older Symbol

Post by Paulmold Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:07 pm

While waiting for responses, please take a minute to introduce yourself here......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:41 pm

Hi Paul, will do on intro. But there's an update...

I got the fridge working this afternoon -- the trick, which I learned on this forum, being to run the gas cooker to get a flow of gas into the system. So it isn't a gas supply problem.

Suspecting a blown fuse on the PCB, I opened up the circuit board box on the heater -- and found that the previous owner had removed the 12V feed from the board, presumably because he was happy to run the heater on electrical hookups! 

I'm trying to identify a suitable 12V feed among the various wires under the RHS bed...

Best, NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:36 pm

Hi guys, I'm sure no-one's on tenterhooks watching this thread. But I thought it would be worth posting again, in case anyone has hands-on with the wiring in an older Symbol.

In a nutshell: the previous owner made some well-considered changes to the electrics, the important one being to enable the habitation leisure battery to charge off the mains hookup. I can see from the wiring under the sink that some rerouting was done, probably by a professional. Everything is working fine, but one of the modifications was to remove the 12V lead that would originally have supplied power to the board in the Truma water heater. The Truma works fine on electric (a different system) but, as you'd expect, it no longer lights on gas. 

The two ribbon connectors to the Truma board are fine, so I think getting the gas heater working again will simply be a case of locating a suitable 12V feed in the area adjacent the heater and running some two-core cable with the appropriate terminal. I called Austosleepers, who were very helpful. But, if anyone who gets what I'm talking about fancies taking a photo of their own Truma with the 12V lead so that I can see where it's connected, I'd be very grateful.

Best, NP
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:35 pm

Hello guys, I'm aware that this is an intimidating topic so I thought I'd bump the thread with some photos. 

To spare any new readers from having to check over the stuff above: my 2004 Symbol is working perfectly apart from the Truma water heater, which runs on electric but not gas. Close examination shows that the previous owner removed the 12V power line to the PCB in the Truma which controls ignition, although the board's other connections are in place. (This explains why the status light on the relevant control panel stays off!) 

The change was made neatly and with documentation, apparently in the process of making it possible to charge the leisure battery from the electrical hookup. Neat as the job is, it doesn't quite make sense to me, and I'm sure it would be possible to reinstate power to the Truma without disabling the hookup mods. However, although I know something of 12V electrics I'm flying blind, as I don't know what the Symbol wiring would have looked like before the mods. 

I attach photos of the wiring around the Truma. Sorry for the duff lighting. Can anyone help me with this one? Feel free to tell me to lay off and leave it to the pros, or alternatively to offer blue sky solutions. I'm a retirement-age adult and won't blame you for crazy ideas. It's always useful to hear how other people would approach an intractable problem.

Best, NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:37 pm

PS Sorry, spot the newbie! I attempted to send images using the "Host an image' button in the toolbar. I can host them externally and post URLs if anyone wants to see...
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:43 pm

You'll find how to post photos in the Factsheets section, half way down home page.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:55 pm

Thx Paul. NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:24 pm

Hello guys, got these uploaded at last (thx Paul). I'm aware that photos of wiring are difficult to get your head around. The first of the three shows the view on opening the Truma's lair under the driver-side couch. The other two show the wiring looms that are in place. 

Context: The Truma PCB is contained in that radiused box clamped to the right of the cylinder. It would have left Auto-Sleepers with three sets of connections: a 12V power lead to the top left corner of the board and two ribbon connectors. In my case, the 12V lead has been removed outright, leaving the board unpowered but fully connected -- and disabling gas ignition to the Truma, although it works fine on electric.

UPDATE: I'm not getting the images. Will gladly send if anyone's following the topic.

NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down