The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What size gas bottle do you have?

+2
astrag60
sharloid
6 posters

Go down

What size gas bottle do you have? Empty What size gas bottle do you have?

Post by sharloid Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm guessing that all gas cupboards in a Ford Duetto are the same size? We currently have a 3.9kg Calor bottle but are hoping that we can get a Gaslow bottle fitted instead (the smallest is 6kg).

sharloid
sharloid

Female

Member Age : 34
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

What size gas bottle do you have? Empty Re: What size gas bottle do you have?

Post by astrag60 Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:00 pm

We carry two, One butane and one propane and switch between them refilling the empty one as we go. That way we never run out smile!
astrag60
astrag60

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

What size gas bottle do you have? Empty Gas bottles

Post by murph Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:27 pm

If you type in supply of Calor Lite into the search box at the top[ of the page there is some info on this including a photo of my gas setup a single refillable bottle Cost under £150 which uses much cheaper autogas(propane.)

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by sharloid Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:48 pm

murph wrote:If you type in supply of Calor Lite into the search box at the top[ of the page there is some info on this including a photo of my gas setup a single refillable bottle Cost under £150 which uses much cheaper autogas(propane.)

Brian2

I'm not sure if a gaslow bottle would fit in the cupboard, I guess I'll have to get the measuring tape out and hope for the best.'' Also, how would we go about filling it up with LPG at a petrol station as it's in a cupboard inside!

Thanks
sharloid
sharloid

Female

Member Age : 34
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

What size gas bottle do you have? Empty Autogas

Post by murph Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Sharloid,
I you can get a calor bottle in your locker then a Gaslow will fit, their 6 kg is the same size as a calor 6kg and thier larger bottle is 11kg slightly smaller than a calor 13kg propane so which ever size your locker is designed to take will fit.
One advatage of a refillable cylinder is that you do not have to wait until it is empty before you fill up therefor if you do run out it is your own fault, the modern bottleshave a guage whic oporates from half full down to empty so it is easy to keep a check on. We had this this system in use on a van conversion before our autosleeper and had to open the back doors to fill it but no trouble.

Brian2

Last edited by murph on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm

sharloid wrote:
murph wrote:If you type in supply of Calor Lite into the search box at the top[ of the page there is some info on this including a photo of my gas setup a single refillable bottle Cost under £150 which uses much cheaper autogas(propane.)

Brian2

I'm not sure if a gaslow bottle would fit in the cupboard, I guess I'll have to get the measuring tape out and hope for the best.'' Also, how would we go about filling it up with LPG at a petrol station as it's in a cupboard inside!

Thanks

Hi sharloid,
I've got a Symbol which is the same layout & roughly the same size as yours (where the gas locker is below the wardrobe?). When I got the van it had a propane bottle (I think 6 or 7Kg) & a smaller container of 3.9.
This was no good to me as I travel a lot in Spain so I fitted a 6Kg Gaslow bottle & carried 2 campingaz 907 bottles as back up, one in the spare slot in the gas locker, the other strapped in the cupboard containing the Truma water heater. You can fit a filler unit on the outside of the van with a stainless steel hose connecting to the Gaslow bottle, it's a fairly simple operation, I believe that somewhere on this forum there are instructions for this.
I got fed up with trying to reach over the Gaslow bottle to connect up the smaller container when the larger one ran out (filling points in Spain are few & far between) so I had Autogas 2000 fit a 20 litre underslung to work in conjunction with the Gaslow system. This will have to be carried out at their works, it is too complicated for DIY.
Alternatively, you can just have an underslung Autogas tank fitted which will free up your gas cupboard for much needed storage, on the Autogas 2000 website is a photo of a 25 litre tank fitted to a Duetto.
I hope this helps, Mike.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:39 am

astrag60 wrote:We carry two, One butane and one propane and switch between them refilling the empty one as we go. That way we never run out smile!

I think I may try this.

Can you advise me on your system?

Thanks, Ian.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't know what Astrag60's setup is but I have two 3.9kg propane bottles and two regulators.
Each regulator has a length of gas tubing (long enough so that I can fit the reg outside the locker) leading to a "T" piece.
One leg of the "T" goes to the van supply pipe and the other two go to a regulator each.
When one bottle runs out, I turn it off and turn the other one on. I do have to turn them both off when replacing the empty one,but that is not a problem.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:14 pm

boxerman wrote:I don't know what Astrag60's setup is but I have two 3.9kg propane bottles and two regulators.
Each regulator has a length of gas tubing (long enough so that I can fit the reg outside the locker) leading to a "T" piece.
One leg of the "T" goes to the van supply pipe and the other two go to a regulator each.
When one bottle runs out, I turn it off and turn the other one on. I do have to turn them both off when replacing the empty one,but that is not a problem.

Frank

Thanks for that Frank.

Makes sense as to what your set up is. up!

Food for thought for me.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down