The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pop top sealant on Trooper 2005 top trim.

2 posters

Go down

Pop top sealant on Trooper 2005 top trim. Empty Pop top sealant on Trooper 2005 top trim.

Post by jonathancamp Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:03 am

I have a T5 Trooper with parallel "pop top". I have some rust round the windscreen and need to remove the black plastic trim around the pop top.

Does anyone know (a) if this is easy and (b) what black sealer is used around the plastic trim?

The black plastic trim is very brittle (2005 model) and may break when I move the trim. The sealer is very hard and I would want to replace the sealer (runs at the bottom of the trim). I'd be interested to know what sealer was used if anyone knows?

Cheers me dears
jonathancamp
jonathancamp

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Pop top sealant on Trooper 2005 top trim. Empty Re: Pop top sealant on Trooper 2005 top trim.

Post by Roopert Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:52 pm

I've never tried to do it and, as far as I know, we don't have anyone on the forum with any actual insight into what product would have been used at the factory. So if you want to know for sure, you'll probably have to contact A/S and give them your build number - from that info they may be able to tell you.

It seems reasonable to assume that it's almost certainly one of the PU-based sealants, such as one of the many variants of Sikaflex. If that's correct, you'll probably have no option but to cut it free. Unlike silicone-based sealants, none of the PU sealant/adhesives that I've used was weak enough to be pulled free.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down