The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements

4 posters

Go down

T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements Empty T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements

Post by zeberdy Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:04 pm

Having switched from a T4 Topaz to a T5 we found the location of the small table stored behind the single seat and the large table behind the bench seat a much better design on the T4 to the location on the T5 we now have necessitating emptying the cupboard in the washroom to get at the small table and the overhead locker to get at the large table.

To overcome this I have relocated the small table to fit alongside the single seat using the twist catch that previously located it in the washroom cupboard. in my case this was straightforward just having to remove a 12v supply socket that was in the way but not used. see pic

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have found that the large table normally stored in overhead cupboard will fit behind bench seat being pushed over towards sink and retained by original twist catch that had to be spaced out by about 30mm. I also added another location to the catch on the bench seat so it could be pulled out a bit further as in it current position it is very shallow and not comfy to sit on this allows the backrest to recline a bit as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
zeberdy
zeberdy

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Stewart John, pjperry and Mr Grey like this post

Back to top Go down

T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements Empty Re: T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements

Post by frederic Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:53 pm

We have file boxes where you have the small table and the small table is in its wardrobe slot (big one in loft!) We also put in a 230v supply to the near side with the socket behind the side seat in place of the 12 v socket / TV ariel outlet which is now under the top nearside cubby.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Mr Grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements Empty Re: T5 Topaz Modifications & Improvements

Post by Mr Grey Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:33 pm

Kinda makes you wonder why AS moved them from their original positions doesn’t it?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by pjperry Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:19 pm

Apart from these negatives, how did you find going from a T4 to a T5, overall better or much the same?
pjperry
pjperry

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm

T5 s are great but caution may be needed if has the BiTdi unit 
The last of the Topaz on the T6 IMHO is not as user friendly in its interior fitments as the T5 s previousely apart perhaps for the self latching side door.
Discuss
frederic
ps Nice food at the Kings Arms Melrose all day.
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

pjperry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zeberdy Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:11 pm

In my opinion the T5 is easier to drive longer distances, as a facelift model it benefits from the VW improvements making it more car like to drive.

I would say that the interior design of the T4 as a MH was much better thought out where as the T5 seems to have been a raid on existing parts.

The old T4 could sleep someone of 6ft on the passenger side where as the T5 is a tight squeeze for people over 5' 6" the way around this is to turn the front seats side on instead of through 180degs.

Whilst we don't cook much inside the cooker in the T5 particularly the grill should be used with caution and make sure the heat deflector above the grill is pulled out. May even be missing on some models.

With out this excessive heat will build up in the wooden frame beware !!

My old T4 had a much larger overhead locker.

In all cases I would choose the 5 cylinder 2.5 Diesel engine avoiding the 88bhp model that is denoted by the badge on the front with a Blue I the Red I denotes 130bhp and chrome 110bhp on T4 models.

My current T5 has the 175bhp engine and Aircon so a bit heavier on fuel averages 35mpg on a run.
zeberdy
zeberdy

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

frederic and pjperry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grey Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 am

At 6’, I’m grateful for the extra bed length in our T4…still early days in our Topaz ownership but nothing to complain about at all so far 😀

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003

pjperry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pjperry Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:05 pm

Thanks zeberdy, just what I wanted to know. Shame they had to compromise on bed length and overhead locker space. Being over 6' and using the locker to store the duvalays kind of rules it out as future replacement.

Touch wood the T4 will go on for a while longer yet as no one else seems to make anything like it on that platform.
pjperry
pjperry

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:54 am

One l needs to check out the T5 Topaz in the flesh hands on so to speak We have had two to date and there is always a way to modify storage and bed lengths unless one is very tall!
Don't be put off sus it out physically.The auto is great!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down