The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear shocks for a Symbol?

3 posters

Go down

Rear shocks for a Symbol?  Empty Rear shocks for a Symbol?

Post by gripped Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:10 pm

Hi all

I'm a newbie to the forum, though have owned an AS for a couple of years now. Prior to that we had 2 Mazda bongos, but Mrs G wanted a toilet and more home comforts!

Anyway, I'm in the middle of changing the rear shocks (leaking oil) on our 2014 Symbol with the air bag spring assisters, and had a couple of questions.

1. I wanted to know whether the shocks are the standard ones fitted to the base van or if AS changed them during the build?   I'm assuming they are the standard ones, but want to check before I order.  As you'll probably know, the Symbol is a van conversion, not coach built. 

2. And secondly, can anyone recommend any rear shocks ? The OEM ones are around £130 each, but you can get pattern parts for £40 - £60.  I'd like something of reasonable quality, but don't really want to shell out on main dealer prices.  There seems to be loads of choice, but not sure where to start.  One thing I do know is that the shocks are the compressed gas type (with damping oil).  A search on GSF shows only oil versions.

The part number on the 'Sevel' originals is 1362579080 - which I understand may be the same as a 5206TS (OEM Peugeot P/N).  I've also been told that 1623335580 is an aftermarket option.

Any advice welcome. up!
Many thanks.
gripped
gripped

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Rear shocks for a Symbol?  Empty Re: Rear shocks for a Symbol?

Post by Bartfarst Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:38 pm

Welcome to the forum!

All  my experience is with the earlier series of Boxer vans I'm afraid. However, knowing AS, I think it most unlikely that they changed the specification of the dampers. Whether a 'comfort' version was originally fitted ex-factory is another matter but, again, I would expect that such refinement was not sought by AS and that the normal Van-type would have been fitted.

I have had to change the rear shocks an inordinate number of times for my van, and I can't say any one make was any better than any other. That said, for the rears at least, the shocks are pretty cheap, simple and easy to change - with the 230/244 I would do it on the road using the wheel brace. The fronts are another matter altogether and there I've always specified Sachs which are generally OE quality. Back to the rears, I've fitted KYB and they were OK. What matters though is whether a particular manufacturer has a catalogue on line showing all the different options, which may include camper-spec options. KYB is pretty good in this respect, as is Sachs.

Hope this helps.

Bart
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by gripped Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi Bart

Thanks for the quick reply.  That is good to know, I'll take a look on line.  I have KYB springs on my Fiat which seem pretty good.  So I'll see what I can find.

Would AS have specified a "camper spec" then? Or just used a base (bog standard) van?  I assume AS would have fitted the spring assisters (AL-KO) rather than Peugeot?

Many thanks again

Toby
gripped
gripped

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gripped Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 pm

Just an update. I've spoken to AS and the shocks will be the standard Boxer units. So I've ordered some KYB shocks.
gripped
gripped

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:48 am

OK, let us know how they get on.

As an asides, I have found there to be a strong inverse relationship between rear tyre pressure and ride quality. Running the rears too high also led me to believe that my rear shocks were on their way out - very bouncy at the back - when, in fact, there was life left in them.

So, in short, shocks are but one element in a spring - mass system all of which may need review if you're getting poor ride quality.
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by gripped Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. 

While I remember, do you happen to know the:
-Recommended tyre pressures
-Torque setting for the shock bolt
-Torque for wheel bolts 

Sorry for all the questions. It's just I'm up against it to fit everything before we go away next week. 

Many thanks
gripped
gripped

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 pm

If you start on tyre pressures, you won't get away next week poss not even next year!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gripped Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 pm

Ah. The old 'can of worms'
gripped
gripped

Male

Back to top Go down