The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto Fridge issues

4 posters

Go down

Duetto Fridge issues Empty Duetto Fridge issues

Post by Duncan Moore Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:32 pm

Hi All.

I'm new to the forum and joined after recently purchasing a 1996 Duetto. It has an Electrolux RM4217 fridge which isn't cooling down. I tried in on240v EHU and it seemed to start cooling as the freezer box element started to chill down slightly then it stopped. I then switched to gas and a similar thing happened. I left it on EHU for around 7 hours and on gas over night but it failed to cool down. Both my local dealers are saying they can have a look but likely to be end of September and I have a trip booked in a couple of weeks. Its last habitation check in November didn't highlight any problems. Any ideas what the issue might be and suggestions for a remedy? One dealer immediately said the cooling element has failed and basically it's time for a new fridge. 

Thanks all in anticipation.
Duncan
Duncan Moore
Duncan Moore

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Duetto Fridge issues Empty Re: Duetto Fridge issues

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:45 pm

If its stood still for a while without use, then an old trick from caravanning days is to remove the fridge, turn it upside down overnight,  then right way up for a day then upside down again before refitting. This can get the gases circulating but only do it if your competent at disconnecting the gas and reconnecting it along with electrical connections.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:46 pm

Welcome to the forum - I think it's not unusual for dealers to tell you that a fridge has failed and you need to pay £800 to replace it - but then they would, wouldn't they? It's quite rare for the cooling system to fail - it's filled with an ammonia solution so it's unlikely to leak without you noticing.

Assuming that the problem isn't because you're trying to run it way out of level, has the van been driven much recently? The absorption type of fridge will often work better if it's been shaken around a bit, and in fact the "traditional" fix to this type of problem is to remove the fridge and turn it upside down for a while!

In your situation I'd try giving it a bit of a bumpy drive about and then try it on mains again overnight. Take the upper external vent off temporarily and feel the top of the heat exchanger on the back after it's been on for a while - careful, because if the element is working it can get hot enough to burn you (I found that out the hard way!).

If you find that it's getting hot at the back but not inside, you may have to try inverting it to see if that does the trick - but best to start with the easy options first. The Electrolux in my previous van always used to take ages to get going first time it was used each year, but once the internal circulation started, it worked fine.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Hi Duncan,
Its our Duetto you bought. Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with the fridge; it was working fine throughout our last trip in the van (ten days or so up to 1st June).

Are you sure you've got the controls set properly? There are thermostats for both gas and electric. Did the gas actually light? (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!)

We never had an issue with fuses, 12v or 240v, I wouldn't even know how to find the right one to check them....

It could also simply be that the fridge couldn't cope with the high temperatures we've been having; its completely silent in operation on gas, 12v or 240v, so there's no evidence that its working other than stuff gets cold in it. 

The red light in the 12v switch doesn't work, but the fridge did always get cold on a journey when switched to 12v.

Again, sorry to hear you've had an issue, I've been wondering how you were getting on with our much loved old van.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Moore Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:03 pm

Thank you for your replies. Since I posted the gas side of the fridge is now working fine but I haven't had chance to try the mains as yet but will do. Possibly some user error. Your replies and advice are much appreciated. Hello previous owners, I hope you are well and enjoying your new van. The Duetto is getting a weekly wash and clean and has a lovely new carpet right through the cab and living area. My 2 year old granddaughter loves it and keeps asking "When are we going to Portugal?"
Duncan Moore
Duncan Moore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi Duncan,

Very relieved to hear the fridge seems to be ok, and that "Binkie" - name derived from reg no - is being pampered. She did need a new carpet, but we never quite got round to it.... It would be nice to see some pictures! I'll pm you my email address - unless you don't mind putting them on here. 

So when are you going to Portugal?

New van is lovely, not an Autosleeper (but described as a "Duetto 2.0" by the chap who converted it for us) but I'll continue to lurk on this forum if that's ok.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Moore Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:22 am

Achilles heel wrote:Hi Duncan,

Very relieved to hear the fridge seems to be ok, and that "Binkie" - name derived from reg no - is being pampered. She did need a new carpet, but we never quite got round to it.... It would be nice to see some pictures! I'll pm you my email address - unless you don't mind putting them on here. 

So when are you going to Portugal?

New van is lovely, not an Autosleeper (but described as a "Duetto 2.0" by the chap who converted it for us) but I'll continue to lurk on this forum if that's ok.
Hi Rod.

Thanks very much and good to hear from you. Believe it or not Binkie is the name we gave the van because of the registration number, how funny is that. We did have an old VW camper once with the reg EVL so was called the evil one, it did break down quite often so lived up to it's name, Lol. I'll message you some photos of the carpet. Not sure about a road trip to Portugal as yet, perhaps Anglesey first! Chat soon and regards to Di.

Duncan
Duncan Moore
Duncan Moore

Male

Back to top Go down