The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar panel connections

5 posters

Go down

Solar panel connections  Empty Solar panel connections

Post by Chris Pallister Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Hi I am looking to find the connections for the roof mounting connections back to the sergeant unit am fitting the 120W panel as recommended by Sargeant basically where to drill the hole in the roof

Last edited by Chris Pallister on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Better description)
Chris Pallister
Chris Pallister

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Solar panel connections  Empty Re: Solar panel connections

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:09 pm

All depends whether you are connecting to the Sargent power unit or using separate controller. Bit more info required. 
Forum glitch is the sub title doesn't appear except in the index, so never use it. I see from the index on home page that this is for a Warwick Duo.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:17 pm

so what panel are you fitting ? 100w 160w 200w
what solar controller
its best to wire from panel to the controller with the correct wires
on you profile can you put warwick duo and not autosleeper
thanks this makes it better when you need help

Last edited by glyne lock on Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Pallister Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 pm

Hi I am fitting the 120W solar panel as recommended by Sargeant and am wiring back to Sargeant controller
Chris Pallister
Chris Pallister

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:55 pm

with the ec500 and ec700 sargent system fitted and solar to A/S campers the good part is for the sales person to say it has solar system fitted.to make the system good to keep batteries charged when in storage or home when parked up lots of members have done a mod like myself . you need to wire the solar panel to a dual controller and the controller to the batteries .sargent will be good at recommending to get sales but this is what I have removed and done a mod to have a system that keeps all my batteries charged when parked up or the camper used what ever time of the year
on my post. Kemerton xl making improvements. shows the mod
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 pm

I'm not sure that "getting sales" is relevant here, because it sounds as though the OP is just getting advice from Sargent?

But the relevant points are:

1. The solar controller that Sargent use with the EC500 and EC700 isn't a very good one and
2. The way that Sargent integrate that solar controller with the EC500/700 isn't very efficient - when used in fully automatic mode it wastes a lot of the solar panel's power.

So the recommendation - if you have either of those Sargent products - is to install a separate, more efficient Solar controller which can operate across two batteries without the need for the EC500/700 to be switched on and wasting power.

If you have an older type of Sargent control system then this may not apply to you, but on a 2017 van it probably will.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:57 am

Photonic Universe
Dual battery solar controller with remote display, £80 or so.
Connect direct to both panel and each battery.
Bypass anything Sargent!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Roopert wrote:I'm not sure that "getting sales" is relevant here, because it sounds as though the OP is just getting advice from Sargent?

But the relevant points are:

1. The solar controller that Sargent use with the EC500 and EC700 isn't a very good one and
2. The way that Sargent integrate that solar controller with the EC500/700 isn't very efficient - when used in fully automatic mode it wastes a lot of the solar panel's power.

So the recommendation - if you have either of those Sargent products - is to install a separate, more efficient Solar controller which can operate across two batteries without the need for the EC500/700 to be switched on and wasting power.

If you have an older type of Sargent control system then this may not apply to you, but on a 2017 van it probably will.
When you have a Autosleeper with a ec500 or ec700 will understand the problem with the solar system fitted
and as I said is good for the sales person but the operation that people think they are going to get keeping the batteries charged doesn’t work .as lots find out and now had damaged the batteries letting them get to low in voltage
So the advice as Roopert is saying IS only any good for the sales and the Sargent system needs to be bypassed
1 the controller used on a ec500 and ec700 are not the same they do work but are not what I would ever fit and have 
removed and done lots of mods to campers with Sargent systems not just Autosleeper
2 to charge the vehicle and leisure batteries sargent use lots of relays that are needing power to operate and charge the leisure for ref 20 mins then power to the vehicle for ref 20 mins but the sun went and lots of clouds so did not charge the battery for that 20 mins so yes I will say in a nice way very poor system.
Thanks to sargent great ? Systems gets me lots of work
I only fit monocrystalline and not polycrystalline as they are better power smaller in size and the roof space is the first thing to check then get the Panels as to the space.my own camper I have removed the polycrystalline fitted by Autosleeper and fitted monocrysalline panels
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:39 pm

That's pretty much what I've said already, Glyne.

I don't understand your point about "good for sales". The OP doesn't want to buy anything.

I'm just trying to provide some advice for the OP that is simple and readable.

I've no doubt that if Chris gets back to us, he'll find plenty of people here with relevant experience.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down