The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New van… new problem

+2
RML
James1986
6 posters

Go down

New van… new problem  Empty New van… new problem

Post by James1986 Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:36 pm

Hi Everyone, 
I’m new the forum and new to owning an auto sleeper trooper as of this weekend. 
The van is lovey and body work/engine all great. 
However… only the gas hob works at present. 
When I connect the van to 240mains hookup, I am able to turn on the carver heating, the pump for the sink works too. However the fridge (3 way Electrolux) doesn’t work. (I’ve tried it on the correct setting). The fridge does work when ignition turned on. 
There are no electrics when disconnected from 240v. Even the zig unit doesn’t light up. The only internal function is the gas hob at this stage. 
Where do I start with this problem? Is the leisure battery the likely cause of issues? 
I’ve got it booked in for a Hab check in late June. Just wanted to see if I can solve the problem before! 
Thanks so much.
James1986
James1986

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper vw t4
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

New van… new problem  Empty Re: New van… new problem

Post by RML Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:58 am

I'd get something like this and start from the external power supply. 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:43 am

The first thing I question is where did you purchase the van? If from a dealer then I would have thought they should have gone through the operating of various equipment.
GAS……As hob works gas available….Have you sited isolation valves for heater and fridge to confirm they are on? Not familiar with your layout so don’t know where they are but should not be difficult to trace. You say fridge don’t work,is gas pilot light sighted on ? If yes it takes quite sometime for fridge to chill. If not and gas isolator on It will need investigating further in more detail.
240v…..With this on and carver working shows power is available, also battery charger seems ok if water pump then works. Fridge not working on mains, if convinced all switches in correct position then this also needs investigating further.
12v….Fridge works ignition on,I assume engine running,then 12v side of fridge seems ok as being supplied from engine battery.
No 12v without mains on…this will likely be battery dead or defective fuse assumeing all switches in correct position,again not familiar with you layout
A simple digital meter will soon track down where there is and is not 12v starting from the battery.If you don’t have one they are quite cheap and good tool to have. Maybe there is one you could borrow or have friend with one to check for you.
Hope this gives you some things to check and resolves without expense or trouble. 
The best way forward if it applies is back to dealer for a run through systems.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 am

RML wrote:I'd get something like this and start from the external power supply. 
Rich..
A useful wee tool, Rich. , but he would be better with a multi functional meter, starting about the same price, eg. Screwfix digital multimeter product code 75337   up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:06 pm

asof_welcome2

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by James1986 Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice, people! Will get to work on testing the output from various areas! Cheers
James1986
James1986

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper vw t4

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi wave
BobK wrote:
RML wrote:I'd get something like this and start from the external power supply.
Rich..
A useful wee tool, Rich. , but he would be better with a multi functional meter, starting about the same price, eg. Screwfix digital multimeter product code 75337   up!
I agree a digital multimeter is handy for troubleshooting the 12V stuff but testing mains means gaining physical access to the connections and knowing how to interpret the results. Fine for anyone experienced with electrics but possible a safety risk for anyone else, whereas a mains tester is a quick and easy test that can be used by anybody.

Actually there are some very cheap meters that are fine for use on 12V but of questionable safety (in my view)on mains.  think_smiley_46

For the prices involved I’d recommend getting hold of both.  up!

Brod

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

RML and rogerblack like this post

Back to top Go down