The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer Wing Mirror

4 posters

Go down

Boxer Wing Mirror Empty Boxer Wing Mirror

Post by DesG Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:35 am

Hello

Driving on A82 around Loch Lomond and smacked wing mirrors with a big coach built on a tight bend. Offside wing mirror body cracked and lens smashed. After a little research I'm thinking of replacing the unit myself and wondered if members could help me with a few queries. 

I know there are quite a few variations and I think I'm clear with most things except the arm length. There are 3 arm lengths and It's not clear if my boxer based symbol plus (a van conversion) is short or medium - I think short. Anyone know for sure or have  relevant dimensions?

I've watched a few YouTube videos and apart from the Remo blind complication it looks straightforward,  does anyone have any cautionary tales?

Any recommend sites for replacement units? I've come across a few with prices varying from £70 ‐ £200+. I was thinking of using Ultimatestyling.co.uk - anyone have any experience? 

I'm also looking at protectors, its possible that I might even be able to get away with just replacing the indicator lens unit if I fit one of these since everything else seems to still work. Any comments? 

Many thanks for any advice.
DesG
DesG

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Boxer Wing Mirror Empty Re: Boxer Wing Mirror

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:50 am

I'm pretty sure that all the van conversions have short arm mirrors.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

DesG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:52 pm

When I had the same problem I used some small mesh and filler which worked a treat.  Could you then get away with a stick on mirror
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

DesG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 pm

When same happened to us last year I used wingmirrorman.co.uk, got a full replacement mirror unit with electrics, and temperature sensor for about £130, easily fitted as per YouTube videos and has proved a good buy.

Best tip I found was before removing the old mirror, when you unclip the wiring for mirror from underneath the window control panel in driver's door, tie a piece of string or similar onto the wires then remove the mirror, disconnect the string from the old mirror wires, connect to new and use string to pull the wiring easily into the drivers door for reconnection.

If I remember correctly there are two options for voltage of indicator build. Replacement should match the old one and it is easily checked bynremoving amber cover to check old bulb.

Replacement took about half an hour

As Paul says it is short arm you need

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by DesG Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:21 pm

Thanks for the very helpful response. 

I'm struggling to understand the range of prices for replacement wing mirrors with ostensibly the same specification. Wingmirrorman.co.uk seems like mid range at £130. Dealers have quoted as much as £250 plus labour to replace whilst I found an OEM from a UK website at around £70 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Seems almost too good to be true but gets good reviews and has a 30 day return policy.

Did you encounter any problems with Remo blinds if fitted? The tip with string is helpful.

I'm proposing initially to just replace the indicator lens unit which I'm assuming can be replaced without removing the entire wing mirror unit. The damage to the main unit is not too bad and I can cover it up with wing mirror protectors which I'm intending to fit anyway.
DesG
DesG

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DesG Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:53 pm

As an interesting aside to my wing mirror woes...
I popped into a dealer at Ballachulish (just past Glencoe towards Ft William) who'd been recommended by the CC site warden. They looked at my cracked unit and suggested I leave well alone and get it sorted when I got home. Apparently they average about 10 replacements per week with a record of 11 in a single day - mostly broken on the run through Loch Lomond and Glencoe. They had one chap who was back with the same problem 2 days after they'd replaced his first one. They keep a full range in stock, but they ain't cheap!
DesG
DesG

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:22 am

Blinds came off and back on with no problem. Indicator lens is a matter of tilting large mirror to gain access to two screws then straight forward. My mirror shell was demolished and both lenses cracked so replacement was only option

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

DesG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DesG Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:54 pm

A final update to my wing mirror woes

As mentioned, the offside wing mirror on our Symbol Plus was damaged following a close encounter with a great white on the A82 on the banks of Loch Lomond. Although the body was cracked and the indicator lens damaged, the unit remained serviceable and I was hoping to be able to repair rather than replace.

However, whilst parked *well* inside a layby overlooking Loch Ness we had a second encounter with a great white which seemed to veer towards our van and completely destroyed the damaged unit with its near side wing mirror. I was actually standing admiring the loch and could only watch in amazement as fragments of plastic and glass showered everywhere. Needless to say the **** didn't stop or turn round. I think the problem is that lots of inexperienced drivers are hiring coach built motorhomes and have no idea just how wide they are.

It was Friday evening and we were on our way home, no prospect of an emergency repair but luckily have a rear view camera fitted so managed to complete our return journey without incident. Got back home safely and was able to source a replacement unit for £130 from WingMirrorMan (thanks to BilboBagins) who turn out to be just down the road from us. Fitting was straightforward so saved about £200 on having a dealer replace the unit.

Thanks
Des
DesG
DesG

Male

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down