The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Solar Panels

5 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Solar Panels Empty Autosleeper Solar Panels

Post by Kevinktwo Tue May 31, 2022 9:44 am

Hi, I have just removed the Autosleeper factory fit solar panel, obviously, its the bonding agent that keeps it in place, not the 4 self-tappers as they are tiny, one of the screws was just held in by adhesive no contact with the metal roof. If there is a purpose to the screws why not use rivet nuts...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Solar Panels Empty Re: Autosleeper Solar Panels

Post by Dbvwt Tue May 31, 2022 10:24 am

Normally I would be quite shocked by that discovery but sadly it’s not a surprise! I’ve just fitted a second panel on my roof and used every one of the 8 heavy duty self tappers that came with the 4 brackets.
Just out of interest, why are you removing the panel?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinktwo Tue May 31, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi Dbvwt, I have added a 160 watt where the OEM 80watt panel was, moved the 80 watt forward and added an additional 60 watt, plugging into a victron MPPT controler.
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue May 31, 2022 4:49 pm

Brilliant job, that’s my kind of installation!
What did you do inside with the controller? Tell me you bypassed that EC700 smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue May 31, 2022 7:28 pm

Kevinktwo wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi Dbvwt, I have added a 160 watt where the OEM 80watt panel was, moved the 80 watt forward and added an additional 60 watt, plugging into a victron MPPT controler.
Wow what a clean roof, cleaned our solar panel today ready for a trip, rest of the roof was green, not to mention what was growing under the panel rolleyes
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue May 31, 2022 7:28 pm

Kevinktwo wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wow what a clean roof, cleaned our solar panel today ready for a trip, rest of the roof was green, not to mention what was growing under the panel rolleyes
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinktwo Tue May 31, 2022 8:53 pm

Dbvwt, yes the MPPT positive is connected directly to the battery and the negative to a Victron shunt. Still got to connect the panels and see if it works :)!

The Victron B2B and Victron 240v battery charger also bypass the Sargent, not Sargents fault that they did not know that Autosleeper were inappropriately using their gear with Lithium...

Rgermain, yeh had to clean it to stick the panels on...
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

rgermain and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:12 am

What is the make of the 160w panel you have KevinKtwo ? Think I might have to get one. Did you use existing solar wire.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinktwo Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:10 am

Fontie wrote:What is the make of the 160w panel you have KevinKtwo ? Think I might have to get one. Did you use existing solar wire.

No I didn't use the existing solar cable, mainly because it would have meant a really long cable run for the front panel, If I remember the maximum Watts for the Sargent is 160, so it was a no for the 3 panels I was fitting, plus the Sargent does not have a profile for Lithium which means it shuts down the charge from the panels too early, finally the Victron mppt is theoretically supposed to harvest 30% more energy from a panel than the Sargent PWM, but I would check with those who know as I am on the edge of my knowledge.
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:06 am

Kevinktwo wrote:
Fontie wrote:What is the make of the 160w panel you have KevinKtwo ? Think I might have to get one. Did you use existing solar wire.

No I didn't use the existing solar cable, mainly because it would have meant a really long cable run for the front panel, If I remember the maximum Watts for the Sargent is 160, so it was a no for the 3 panels I was fitting, plus the Sargent does not have a profile for Lithium which means it shuts down the charge from the panels too early, finally the Victron mppt is theoretically supposed to harvest 30% more energy from a panel than the Sargent PWM, but I would check with those who know as I am on the edge of my knowledge.

Sorry should have said I already have a mppt 160w solar controller installed so I am ok there, when you replaced the 80w with the new 160w did you use existing wiring that was there for the 80w panel.

Thanks
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinktwo Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:39 am

Hi Fontie, Sorry for taking so long to get back, no I didn't use the original cable at all, if you look at the roof photo (before I connected the panels) there is a grey box opposite the middle Heiki, It is a waterproof enclosure, I have increased the size of the hole in the roof to accommodate a plastic drain pipe which is a 1/2 inch above the roof and then everything is sikaflexed, it used as a system in the States, this allows me to easily accommodate or modify wiring by fitting glands to it.
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:30 pm

kevinktwo thanks for explaining, I was going to attempt to do the solar myself but its a case of my brain saying yea you can do it, and my body saying no way I have decided mainly because of my bad back to find a company that will do the solar for me. I will show your van photo to whoever I find that will do it, get the panels myself and get them to fit.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:17 pm

Fontie
What amount of power are you needing and what for .I have 2 x80w panels and can get 12 amp the picture will show at 16.00 hours I [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]put the electric kettle on to put some load and 7amps to to leisure and 1amp to the vehicle
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinktwo Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:50 am

Hi Glynne, yes my amount of solar might be absolutely, over the top, especially in the summer, however, we like the North in winter and the amount of sun and it’s low in the sky so a larger array is helpful, LPG is becoming an issue so if necessary  I could possibly move across to an induction hob, and compressor fridge. I negotiated when I purchased the van to get a 100 amp lithium, if I was going to get matched batteries now was the time to do it..I have just retired and needed a project. ps good to see you are getting the maximum out of your panels 160w / 12v = 13 amps
Kevinktwo
Kevinktwo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:19 pm

I want to be off grid as much as possible, I've had 2 100amp Lithium batteries installed a 70amp B2B 160/320 dual solar controller 2000w inverter and a new mains charger for the occasional times I hook up. The company that did the work only use NDS solar panels which were to big, after seeing kevinktwo post that smaller panels are available made me think of swapping the 80w for a 160 which will double my solar input, I cant have a solar in the middle because I've had a Maxfan fitted that sticks out further rearward, so I would have a new 60w at the front giving me 230w in total. The Lithium batteries will take 100amp charge so even with the extra solar I would be below that.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down