The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1996 2ltr petrol Harmony

3 posters

Go down

1996 2ltr petrol Harmony Empty 1996 2ltr petrol Harmony

Post by Grahame T Wed May 11, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi folks. On Tuesday my Harmony failed its MoT due to high emissions and I was advised that a new Air Filter plus a set of Spark Plugs would more than likely resolve the problem. I was also advised that due to the extremely low annual mileage I had been doing (roughly 30 miles since last test - cancer plus severe back problems limited use) had likely caused a build up of crud in the system. Any way, the van passed its MoT and I was advised to take it for a decent run, which I did. I took it for approx 20 miles on A Class road and 15 miles on Motorway.

The van ran ok for the duration but when I arrived home and started to reverse it onto my driveway, when I pressed the accelerator the engine cut out. It restarted on the key ok but again died when I tried to accelerate - this happened several times.

I reported this to the MoT garage and they again advised that lack of use and accumulated crud was the likely cause and to let the van cool down and try again later.

I am now in remission from the cancer and want to start using the van again but am somewhat concerned that the engine may die on me when out and about. Any advice that could be given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Grahame
Grahame T
Grahame T

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

1996 2ltr petrol Harmony Empty Re: 1996 2ltr petrol Harmony

Post by vwt4 Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 am

I had a similar problem on my 94 Trophy, a new set of leads and plugs cured it hope you get it sorted soon
mike 
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

JandL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grahame T Thu May 12, 2022 11:21 am

Thanks Mike. New set of plugs plus air filter fitted in order to pass Emissions. It only seems to happen when the engine reaches operating temp.

I’ve also noticed that the fuel gauge has started misbehaving. I’ve got best part of a full tank but the red fuel light comes on and the gauge fluctuates between empty and half full.

Looks as if I’ve got electrical probs.
Grahame T
Grahame T

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JandL Thu May 12, 2022 8:13 pm

My !998 Pug had/has same issues - high emissions due to lack of regular use. 

Keep using it and a regular trash at high revs to clean out crud might help.

As to fuel gauge - probably a sender unit fault - mine fluctuates widely. I just make sure it is toped up with fuel (sod the cost)
JandL
JandL

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Grahame T Fri May 13, 2022 10:52 am

Thanks Jandl. I'm of a similar mind to you. I still don't relish the thought of breaking down in the middle of nowhere with the wife onboard. Stay Safe.
Grahame T
Grahame T

Male

JandL likes this post

Back to top Go down