The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident paintwork peeling

2 posters

Go down

Trident paintwork peeling Empty Trident paintwork peeling

Post by Steve Gantlett Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:53 pm

My 2006 hightop Trident is still looking very good, but on the whole hightop section the lacquer on the top of the paintwork is stating to fail comprehensively, blister and flake off. I think it'll soon look quite unsightly. I have two questions, really: 1) apart from looking a bit scabby/unsightly, does it really matter? and 2) can it be fixed? Can old lacquer be stripped, somehow leaving the actual paint good, and then lacquer reapplied (by a professional of course)?
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Member Age : 43
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T5 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Trident paintwork peeling Empty Re: Trident paintwork peeling

Post by Roopert Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:51 pm

That's quite unusual - the adhesion should be top rate because it's done immediately after the base coat is put on. I wonder if it has had a minor scrape to the roof at some point in the past and had a blow over?

Whatever, it should be cosmetic only. The water integrity and weather resistance is provided by the gelcoat under the paint base coat, so unless there is badly repaired accident damage - which you would be able to see - it should be fine. Yes, it can be fixed, but it won't be cheap. They would have to sand back to good paint under, then do base and lacquer again, I would expect.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Alf and Steve Gantlett like this post

Back to top Go down

Trident paintwork peeling Empty Re: Trident paintwork peeling

Post by Steve Gantlett Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:03 pm

Many thanks, Roopert. Appreciated. (Incidentally, I don't think there's been any accident damage. Apart from flaking off in a couple of spots where it might have suffered minor hits from tree branches I suppose, it's getting finely spotted all over, as if it might all start flaking... I'll see...)
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Member Age : 43
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T5 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down