The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairford

+2
Poursay
Eltel
6 posters

Go down

Fairford  Empty Fairford

Post by Eltel Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:02 pm

Good evening.

I’m considering changing from my 2017 Nuevo EK to a Fairford Panel Van

A quick question to fellow Fairford Owners.

Is it possible to make the front bed into a single bed ?

Thanks

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Fairford  Empty Re: Fairford

Post by Poursay Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:46 pm

Yes, did it for our granddaughter.
Poursay
Poursay

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:05 pm

Poursay wrote:Yes, did it for our granddaughter.
Many thanks, I found a video of it after I had posted the question.

As I’m 6ft I’m a bit concerned about bed lengths and also cloths storage with such a small wardrobe.

I would be interested in fellow owners comments both good and bad on the practicality of the Fairford 

Regards

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:29 pm

I can’t speak about the wardrobe but the roof lockers will hold plenty of clothes, especially if you fit shelves in them.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:25 pm

The front end heating is poor on the Fairford. The Truma unit is at the rear of the vehicle and AS only fitted small diameter hoses to feed the front. These pass through the washroom and from what I remember it would be a lot of upheaval to fit larger hoses. I personally found the washroom cramped. The washroom door expands if the van gets too warm. It reeks of pvc and becomes awkward to open/close. We never found the rear bed cushions comfy. There was always a lump or dent somewhere. The sleeping arrangements on our Broadway were far better. Plenty of storage in the upper lockers. A lot of the lower storage is lost to the Truma unit and wheel arches.  On the plus side, the driving experience was superior to any coachbuilt that I've had. Didn't feel top heavy and was great for singletrack roads.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:42 pm

Many thanks for your informative reply, the two points you raise heating and a uncomfortable bed has probably made the decision for me to look at other options.

I do want another AS but it may be I will look at other makes if I decide to sell the Nuevo EK 

Thanks again
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:22 pm

With ref to the bed, the answer is simple. Push the two seat base cushions together, that creates a cushion joint somewhere around/behind your knee, then use the two smaller back rest cushions under the area where the pillows and your head goes. 

We’ve been doing that for nearly six years without noticing any bumps etc. in the bed. I actually find the bed comfy at 6ft tall. It might be a little short if I was 6ft 2”.

With regard to the dinette heating, it does take longer to warm that area up, we find after the heating has been on for some time everything balances out, it’s the initial warming of a cold van when the difference is noticed. If we’re away in the winter, after the initial warm up on the first night the electric side of the heating easily maintains the temp, with occasional assistance from the gas side of things when needed. If you leave the heating on mix 2 it seems to sort itself out.

I wouldn’t dismiss it on those points but would consider the available space theres plenty of storage but if you intend on using it with more than two people. The walkway past the kitchen is narrow so can cause some congestion. Ours is one of the first ones so comes with a lot of cushions to make up the front bed, we don’t carry them with us. When grandkids came we made up a smaller double with half the cushions which also didn’t block off the walkway like the full size front does.

The bathroom could be described as on the small side, but I wouldn’t want to give up any other space to make it bigger, you have to compromise something depending on your own priorities, we didn’t really intend on using the shower when we bought the van, so this wasn’t a priority for us, however, lockdown restrictions changed that when site facilities were closed, we managed and it was ok.

Never had any issues with the sliding door to the shower/toilet,

Hope that helps.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:47 pm

Many thanks for post, some interesting points you raised.

Seems we live in the same neck of the woods (Staffordshire)

Perhaps you could send me a message and we could have a chat on the phone.

Regards 
Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:22 am

I think the fairford is a great choice! Took us ages to find our fit, I’m sure you will find yours....

I love driving ours, it’s a pleasure. We are 2 adults and 3 dogs, and the layout we find is great.

I echo much of comments made, especially about rear bed. It’s no biggie though, Chuck a mattress topper or something over it when made and it’s good. You can juggle cushions about to suit. 

I like there is room to ‘lounge’ in the rear, just chill out and when weather allows just throw open them back doors out a full 180 degrees , put your feet up, open the wine and enjoy the view in comfort. That sold it for us really.

The kitchen space is really good with plenty of worktop space. One of us cooks and lays the table in din8ng area when the other just lazes about in the lounge lol.  Love the small cocktail tables for the rear lounge too.

For us, the wardrop has never been a wardrop , it’s just another storage area. We keep hoses  hookup, heater and dogs stuff in there. Plenty space really in overhead lockers at the rear for clothes. 

We also travel with awning and full kit in the undersea box in rear, and the front box provides additional room for all our extras. Big stuff like outdoor tables, chairs and full crates of wine travel in rear isle to move under van when parked up.  The use of a driveaway provides great extra space.

Toilet thoug small is adequate. We never use onsite facilities. Shower pressure is good and water is hot. You get used to the smaller space.

Space heater is great. Van is toasty. Agree with comments that front is cooler than rear. Not a huge issue but when we need to we use a small oil filled  rad at that side when on a hookup. It’s for the dogs really! 

There is good space over drivers cab, it takes a dhouble duvet, mattress topper and pillows.

I especially like the outdoor plug point when sliding door is open. There is ample USB and plug points too.....the most I’ve seen in any van I’ve been in.

There isn’t however a really good space to mount a TV, we use a small cello telly with a stand attached to it. The stand is folded against the tv (it’s very stiff) and then we slide the folded stand into the pocket on the wall at the rear. (Outside shower wall) . Can’t bring ourselves to drill holes in walls.

There is also space under drivers seat....it takes for example 2 sets of walking boots.

Inside doesn’t ever feel ‘blockey’ between the areas. It always feels open and light.  It’s doesnt look like there is a lot of lower kitchen cupboard space but there is. For example in our lower cupboards we manage  a small George  Forman grill, 3 medium pots, 2 frying pans , a kettle, a biletti coffee pot and a cafetière.....amongst other things.

I hope you find the best fit for you , good luck
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:31 am

Lorfal wrote:I think the fairford is a great choice! Took us ages to find our fit, I’m sure you will find yours....

I love driving ours, it’s a pleasure. We are 2 adults and 3 dogs, and the layout we find is great.

I echo much of comments made, especially about rear bed. It’s no biggie though, Chuck a mattress topper or something over it when made and it’s good. You can juggle cushions about to suit. 

I like there is room to ‘lounge’ in the rear, just chill out and when weather allows just throw open them back doors out a full 180 degrees , put your feet up, open the wine and enjoy the view in comfort. That sold it for us really.

The kitchen space is really good with plenty of worktop space. One of us cooks and lays the table in din8ng area when the other just lazes about in the lounge lol.  Love the small cocktail tables for the rear lounge too.

For us, the wardrop has never been a wardrop , it’s just another storage area. We keep hoses  hookup, heater and dogs stuff in there. Plenty space really in overhead lockers at the rear for clothes. 

We also travel with awning and full kit in the undersea box in rear, and the front box provides additional room for all our extras. Big stuff like outdoor tables, chairs and full crates of wine travel in rear isle to move under van when parked up.  The use of a driveaway provides great extra space.

Toilet thoug small is adequate. We never use onsite facilities. Shower pressure is good and water is hot. You get used to the smaller space.

Space heater is great. Van is toasty. Agree with comments that front is cooler than rear. Not a huge issue but when we need to we use a small oil filled  rad at that side when on a hookup. It’s for the dogs really! 

There is good space over drivers cab, it takes a dhouble duvet, mattress topper and pillows.

I especially like the outdoor plug point when sliding door is open. There is ample USB and plug points too.....the most I’ve seen in any van I’ve been in.

There isn’t however a really good space to mount a TV, we use a small cello telly with a stand attached to it. The stand is folded against the tv (it’s very stiff) and then we slide the folded stand into the pocket on the wall at the rear. (Outside shower wall) . Can’t bring ourselves to drill holes in walls.

There is also space under drivers seat....it takes for example 2 sets of walking boots.

Inside doesn’t ever feel ‘blockey’ between the areas. It always feels open and light.  It’s doesnt look like there is a lot of lower kitchen cupboard space but there is. For example in our lower cupboards we manage  a small George  Forman grill, 3 medium pots, 2 frying pans , a kettle, a biletti coffee pot and a cafetière.....amongst other things.

I hope you find the best fit for you , good luck
Thanks for your time putting together a wealth of useful information together.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Filbert Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:13 am

We’ve had our Fairford for 3 years from new and are very happy with it. We bought a good quality 4ft mattress for the rear of the van which fits the space well. I also had a rotator fitted to the drivers seat which makes the space at the front of the van less claustrophobic.
Filbert
Filbert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Filbert Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Forgot to mention most of the time there is just two of us using the van and I bought a smaller table to free up some space at the front.

Last edited by Filbert on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ad a picture)
Filbert
Filbert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:49 am

I like the drivers seat like that. We use our front diner a lot but very seldom rest my back against the drivers seat. Probably wouldn’t use a wee table though as we also make a lot of use of cocktail tables at rear.
 We also use the footwell at drivers side for storage when parked up......I’m sure our dogs would prefer a rotating seat!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Poursay Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 pm

We found that as we didn’t use the circular tables, we leave them at home, leaves a little more foot room in the bed. We also use an inflatable mattress, quite a thin one, over the rear bed cushions and this seems to even out the irregularities and makes the bed quite comfortable.
Poursay
Poursay

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Poursay Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:58 pm

Forgot to mention, we leave the rear bed made up and “ live” in the front lounge.
Poursay
Poursay

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 am

Think it all proves just how versatile the fairford is....we are spoilt for choice with many choices for layout......but maybe I’m just biased
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down