The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony

3 posters

Go down

Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony Empty Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony

Post by Graham Shaw Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:03 pm

We're looking to replace our 1997 Symphony, which we've had for 10 years.  We love the layout, and the relative compactness of the design. I'd like to know what models members recommend as a newer replacement, bearing in mind that the old Symphony/Symbol design ended in 2006, so we'd want something newer than that, but preferably not much bigger - and spending up to £35K.   I could ask you to include recommendations of other manufacturers, but that would probably get me banned from the site!    smile!
Graham Shaw
Graham Shaw

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony Empty Re: Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 pm

The Symbol layout continued on the x250 Boxer base and the Duetto continued until 2010 with same layout. As for other manufacturers,  the layout was copied by numerous manufacturers. Have you looked at post-2006 Symbols?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony Empty Re: Replacement for much-loved 1997 Symphony

Post by Graham Shaw Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:28 am

Thank you, Paul.  Sounds like the post-2006 Symbol and Duetto will be a good place to start.  Is the interior build quality of the newer models as good?
Graham Shaw
Graham Shaw

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 pm

Certainly up to 2010 (which my van is) I would say build quality was as good as previous but from 2010 onwards on can't comment personally, perhaps other members with later models could add their thoughts.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:31 pm

Based on our experience of AS vans I think our 2015 Kemerton is just on the cusp of when design and build quality changed. It was one of the last vans with a simple power supply system (Sargent EC155) and the only build issue we’ve had to deal with is peeling foils on some of the locker doors.

It gets a lot of use and has never let us down in terms of mission-critical defects, though we had the Whale in-tank water pump replaced with a Shurflo and a gravity fill point added for fresh water before delivery. 

You’ll find a lot of refinement (aka bells and whistles) on newer vans compared with your Symphony, mainly for the better. We too like the front lounge layout, which the Kemerton has, though I’m not sure it’s been copied that widely by other converters to the same spacious extent.

One other factor you might want to take into account is winterisation. From 2014 onwards (I believe) AS have added additional insulation, more powerful heating systems and tank heaters. If you plan to use the van in winter then that might be a consideration.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down