The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford

3 posters

Go down

Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford Empty Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford

Post by Bob Forder Wed 15 Dec 2021 - 18:20

I own a 2019 registered Fairford (based on a long-wheelbase Peugeot).  I currently have a bike rack for two pushbikes hung from one of the rear doors which is adequate for those bicycles.  However we are envisaging buying electric bikes which, of course, are much heavier.  I'm sure the existing bike rack will not suffice.  The alternative seems to be to have a tow bar fitted with a bike rack mounted on this.  There are various designs.  Of course the bike rack and electric bikes will collectively be heavy, even with the batteries removed and transported inside the van.  I am concerned that the weight on the back of the van could cause instability.  What about the overall load weight of the van.  

Any observations or advice would be gratefully received?  Have any other owners of Fairfords, or similar vans researched this issue?
Bob Forder
Bob Forder

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford Empty Re: Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford

Post by Toffee Wed 15 Dec 2021 - 22:09

I’ve just done exactly the transition you describe to our fairford, and now have a tow bar and a Thule velospace electric bike rack. We also updated the van from 3500 to 3900kgs to stay the correct side of the law. The physical components of the van remain the same (no modifications required) but we can now travel without having to give too much consideration to our payload.
We struggled to get a tow bar fitter to commit to the job as our gas pipes were in the way of the tow bar mounting points on the vehicle, I ended up doing it myself at home and then taking the vehicle back to the tow bar fitting depot for the job to be finished.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford Empty Re: Bike rack for electric bikes on a Fairford

Post by Bob Forder Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 20:00

Thanks, that's useful.  From what you say it seems that the van handles OK with the extra weight on the back?
Bob Forder
Bob Forder

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 22:51

No issues at all
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Solaris Fri 17 Dec 2021 - 15:57

Have a Kingham with towball and Thule Strada rack. Carry 2 electric bikes with no issues and can slide them out of way to open rear doors
Solaris
Solaris

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down