The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto

4 posters

Go down

How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto Empty How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto

Post by dtyson Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm

I need to get some welding done just behind the nearside door pillar extending along just above the door on a 2000 Duetto. There is a black plastic trim strip which extends the length of the vehicle which I need to remove to prevent damage from the welding. I tried removing a few of the obvious screws, but tugging at the strip seems to have no effect. I am wondering if it is glued along the bottom as well. Pic (offside rather than the nearside one which is covered in duck tape as weather protection) of the offending  strip:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyone had to remove this and know the secret?

Cheers,
Dave
dtyson
dtyson
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto Empty Re: How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto

Post by Roopert Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 am

A/S used several different fixing techniques on these, and some were I believe bonded on, but that looks very similar to the ones on my 1999 Flair, which was also Transit-based. That was fixed in place with stainless steel stand-offs, with plastic screws through the trim and into the stand-off.

If so, you should be able to see the stainless fixings with a torch, as there should be a small gap at both top and bottom of the trim.

This is speculation, but what may have happened is that a previous owner has bodged it back in place with sealant after one or more of the stand-offs have come unstuck from the roof (which, if my Flair was anything to go by, happens easily).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto Empty Re: How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto

Post by dtyson Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:00 pm

Roopert wrote:A/S used several different fixing techniques on these, and some were I believe bonded on, but that looks very similar to the ones on my 1999 Flair, which was also Transit-based. That was fixed in place with stainless steel stand-offs, with plastic screws through the trim and into the stand-off.

If so, you should be able to see the stainless fixings with a torch, as there should be a small gap at both top and bottom of the trim.

This is speculation, but what may have happened is that a previous owner has bodged it back in place with sealant after one or more of the stand-offs have come unstuck from the roof (which, if my Flair was anything to go by, happens easily).
Thanks for the info - will have a look when it stops being windy and wet!

Cheers,
Dave
dtyson
dtyson
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigelbs Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:57 am

My Trident (20022) also has the same fixing system with the stainless stand-offs and plastic screws through the trim. Will be interested in how you get on as I also have some rust starting at the front seam. Also I have lost one of the plastic screws, can't source a spare through A/S so would be interested to know if anyone has a source for these.
Nigelbs
Nigelbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:07 pm

As far as I'm aware (it's a long time since I had to fix mine) the bolts are just standard metric nylon bolts - simply take one out, measure the diameter, round that figure up to the nearest mm and do a search online. I'm fairly sure that mine were originally cheese-head shaped and the ones I used were intended to fix number plates, so they weren't quite the same head shape, but it wasn't noticeable. I used them mainly because they are easy to get in black.

Here's an example (based on an assumed M6 bolt, though I may be remembering the diameter wrong):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigelbs Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:13 pm

Thanks for your help Roopert. The one I lost went down the windscreen drain channel never to be seen again and the others are all a bit burred so some new ones will look a lot smarter!
Nigelbs
Nigelbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

How to remove roof line trim strip on duetto Empty update - parial success

Post by dtyson Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:20 pm

I had a good look at the trim strip today as the van goes to be welded tomorrow. The strip is attached with stainless steel pillars and plastic screws as others have mentioned, but the lower edge is also glued to the roofline gutter. I cannot work out what the glue is but a bit of gentle prising with a screwdriver enabled me to free the first 14" of the trim and it will flex a bit so it will be clear of the welding.

It seems to be a lot more firmly attached toward the middle and rear of the van so removing the whole strip would be very hard and likely to break it. Not sure what the glue is, but it seems to have been applied with a adhesive gun as a long thin 'sausage'. I guess its some sort of outdoor 'no-more-nails' glue rather than epoxy.

Dave
dtyson
dtyson
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:42 pm

Is it possible that it's a PU adhesive/sealant like Sikaflex? If some of the stainless pillars have come unstuck from the roof I can understand why someone might have bodged on some sealant, but it's not (IMO) a very clever thing to do. If you seal up the gap at the bottom then any leaves and crud that drop in the top just stay in there, and it can build up into a horrible damp mess. The original setup was better because it allowed any excess crud to just fall out of the gap at the bottom.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:24 pm

May be worth trying a heat gun?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:37 pm

If so, with great care... If the trim is like the ones on my van, they are formed with heat and vacuum in a mould, so if you heat them they might lose their shape!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down