The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dump switch location

+3
glyne lock
PLOUGHLIN
Stan
7 posters

Go down

Dump switch location Empty Dump switch location

Post by Stan Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:25 pm

where is the dump switch located in the new Bourton? the tanks emptied fully after just filling.

contacted AS service and they suggested that we may have accidentally switched this switch. we cannot find this,
can you give us some help with this. I have looked in the manual but cannot find any information on it.
Stan
Stan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : BOURTON
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Dump switch location Empty Re: Dump switch location

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:41 pm

The 2018 Owner's manual says it is "Below white plastic cap under offside settee". Yours may be similar, it will be close to the water heater.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks Peter, i will have a look Fri, my van is in a secure storage unit away from home, will let you know how i get on.

Stan
Stan
Stan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:39 pm

There are whale videos you can Google that shows the drain control Dump switch location B1d1f110
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:12 pm

When you asked AS service and they suggested “that we may have accidentally switched this switch” did they not also suggest where it may be located. 
Just a thought as they built the van??

Hi and welcome to the forum by the way.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cath Dawson Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Stan wrote:where is the dump switch located in the new Bourton? the tanks emptied fully after just filling.

contacted AS service and they suggested that we may have accidentally switched this switch. we cannot find this,
can you give us some help with this. I have looked in the manual but cannot find any information on it.

We have a 2020 Bourton! The dump switch (frost control safety drain valve) is on the water heater under the drivers side bed settee on the right hand side of the settee as you face it. Under the settee there is a large piece of boarding, in which are two round white "caps". If you remove the nearest "cap" you will find a hole though which you should be able to get your hand, in order to "feel" the water heater below. (Not easy!! Need small hands!). On the top of the water heater is a blue switch which should be "north/south" as you are looking at it, and on the left of the water heater further down towards the floor is a large blue button, which should be pushed in for correct operation and water filling. The blue switch and blue button will have been activated and "dumped" the water if the water temperature drops below 4'C.   BTW: You cannot "accidentally" turn the blue switch !  We do dump the water when we are draining down for the Winter.
Cath Dawson
Cath Dawson

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 pm

So if it drains the water from the tanks, is it just a case of turning the blue switch and button back?

The tanks did not empty till i switched the water pump on.

sorry for the late reply.
Stan
Stan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:02 pm

The dump switch is to empty the water heater boiler. Tanks are emptied using external taps. Dump switch and pump would eventually empty tank, as you are filling boiler with pump which then emptied through dump switch.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:52 pm

The dump switch or whatever people want to call it is there to drain the water from the internal hot water tank and all the hot and cold water pipes in the van.  For water to drain from the pipes, their respective taps must be opened to allow air into the system.  The fresh and waste water tanks have separate drains outside the van.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:31 pm

I have looked at the blue button and pushed it back in, i still cannot believe it would empty both tanks and the water heater.
I know from previous motorhomes that i  have owned that the water heater has its own switch to empty it. But not had a 4c temperature safety button before.
The first thing I checked was that the blue external tap was not open.
Stan
Stan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Stan wrote:I have looked at the blue button and pushed it back in, i still cannot believe it would empty both tanks and the water heater.
I know from previous motorhomes that i  have owned that the water heater has its own switch to empty it. But not had a 4c temperature safety button before.
The first thing I checked was that the blue external tap was not open.
 I think you may by under a misapprehension :

The blue button "dump-valve" - which automatically operates when the low temperature trigger is reached - only dumps the water in the hot water boiler and associated pipework. It does not "empty both tanks". Those freshwater and grey water tanks are emptied via their own taps, under the vehicle, which you open to drain each tank. 

So to winterise, you need to:
(a) drain the fresh and grey water tanks by means of their under-skirt drain taps; having done so, that will only leave water in the internal hot and cold pipes, and in the boiler. 
(b) open the dump valve by turning the blue valve by 90 degrees; open all taps including shower head so as to run / drain both hot and cold water; run the pump to expel all water via the dump valve;
(c) drain the tank which contains the water to flush the WC. 

With all valves, drain taps and mixer taps open (as described above) drive around a bit to shake out any remaining water. Thereafter, I close the drain taps of the freshwater and grey water tanks (to keep crawlies out), and leave all other taps open. I hang a card in the van on the wardrobe door to tell me, come Spring etc, the status of the above systems so I can close taps / dump valve / etc before filling up again.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:44 pm

I do know how to winterise, and about the drain plug for the hot water boiler, but the reason for my query is that i filled my cold water tanks up drove to my pitch hooked up  opened taps turned pump on and all the water emptied out of both tanks and boiler shrugg
Stan
Stan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:01 pm

Stan wrote:I do know how to winterise, and about the drain plug for the hot water boiler, but the reason for my query is that i filled my cold water tanks up drove to my pitch hooked up  opened taps turned pump on and all the water emptied out of both tanks and boiler shrugg

It would. Pump fills the boiler (or tries) but water drains through open dump valve, so pump keeps trying until tank empty of it fails.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks Peter, that's exactly what happened, I have pushed the blue dump switch back in and will wait till weather warms up and test it.

Stan.
Stan
Stan

Male

Back to top Go down