The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1999 Duetto windscreen cover

+3
Bulletguy
Spospe
Grabea
7 posters

Go down

1999 Duetto windscreen cover Empty 1999 Duetto windscreen cover

Post by Grabea Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Been attempting to find a thermal screen cover for our Duetto, 1999 Transit based, but not having any success, all we are finding is for the next model onwards, does anyone have a reasonably priced recommendation for us, we did find one in Italy but with shipping VAT and customs it started to get a bit expensive. We are looking for an external one to cut down on condensation inside the windscreen and side windows now that the weather is getting a bit colder.
Thanks
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

1999 Duetto windscreen cover Empty Re: 1999 Duetto windscreen cover

Post by Spospe Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:26 pm

I had a 1999 Duetto and used a TaylorMade external cover, it worked really well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:24 pm

Grabea wrote:Been attempting to find a thermal screen cover for our Duetto, 1999 Transit based, but not having any success, all we are finding is for the next model onwards....
I'm afraid you will find that now. I used to own a Mk5 Duetto and had both internal and external. The external were a branded make and eventually I decided to sell as I used internal more. I sold it about six years ago on ebay and got a damn good price for it. I think that's about the only place you will find some now and will need to look regularly as they are pretty scarce.

There's pros and cons on external covers. They give better insulation than internal BUT......you have to exit the van to remove them before driving off. If faced with a need to suddenly depart for whatever reason, that's the benefit of internal screens as you don't need to exit or unlock the van.

Regarding your condensation, set the van (dashboard) vents to open and lower both side windows half an inch. That usually solved my condensation.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Grabea Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks both for your replies, I did find Taylormade but they're quite expensive so carried on looking but so far they seem to be the only option.
We have lined curtains which go around the cab area front and sides so not quite an insulated liner but pretty close, side windows down within the draught deflectors and vents open but the windscreen, side windows and even the door frames are streaming in the morning.
Quick getaways aren't something we envisage as by the time we'd thrown on some clothes, put the beds up so I could get behind the wheel and disconnect the EHU it would be anything but quick ;-)
Many Thanks
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:25 pm

We bought a silver screen for our N - Reg Duetto from Sliverscreens in West Yorkshire. Admittedly it was a while ago but it may be worth asking if they still have the patterns and how much it would be to make a screen up.
Ours came with free inside insulating panels for the rear door and side door windows. Also the screen cover had a lift down panel so you could leave it fitted during the day. 
At the time it was cheaper than Taylormade. We collected it our selfs as part of one of our trips.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 pm

Grabea wrote:Quick getaways aren't something we envisage as by the time we'd thrown on some clothes, put the beds up so I could get behind the wheel and disconnect the EHU it would be anything but quick ;-)
If always on sites then you only have the weather to bother about. 

As Dave mentioned, Silverscreens could be worth contacting. I forgot about them yet thats where my external ones were from. No Mk6 Transit showing but it's worth a phone call.

[url=http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/Foldable screens.html][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:42 pm

I'll find out where I got this one from, best one yet. Good enough thermally and blackout, hooks onto the rear of the doors, not over them, fits in a small carry bag we carry in the hab loft, so we do take it with us which we never did with the bigger ones.
Magnets inside it keeps it tight to the doors and bonnet.

Also seals the air inlet at the bottom of the windscreen, keeps leaves etc out..

If I find where it came from I'll let you know, sure they did transit ones as well...

Found it, it's made by OPTIMA!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:22 pm

Not sure about you’re Duetto but we slept head to the rear and noticed a slight draft on our feet.  Because we had the screen cover on the outside we didn’t bother closing the curtains. 
After a bit of head scratching the draft was from the air vents on the dash no matter we’re the heater levers we’re positioned. We closed the curtains and put the screen cover on in the winter.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:27 pm

Surely with all our collective knowledge we could corelate the differences,  between the various Mk's of the Transit 5 (smiley face) 6 (2000-2006), and the 7.(2007->?)
For one particular set of external silver padded screens.
It may perhaps only be the mounting fixings of the wing mirrors, which with a little ingenuity could be overcome with a little trimming and stitching?? 

If not then maybe the solution may be to use an internal set (not so efficient) which would be easier to modify.
As it happens I have both sorts (out & in) smile! available.

frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by dochie Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:53 pm

I had a 2018 Fiat campervan and I now have a 1994 Ford Transit Amethyst (Mk4). I was going to get a set of external screens but tried the Fiat ones for size and found them to be a pretty good fit.
This may be an option as more second hand Fiat ones around
dochie
dochie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : amythist
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down