The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curtains v windscreen cover

+5
Flying High
Dutto
broadwayelduo
Spospe
mickenbacker 330
9 posters

Go down

curtains v windscreen cover Empty curtains v windscreen cover

Post by mickenbacker 330 Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:10 pm

the curtains in our duetto are looking a bit worse for wear so we decided to replace them,we then thought about not replacing the cab curtains and leaving them off altogether and getting an exterior thermal windscreen cover has anyone else gone for or recommend this option? as always any feed back is always appreciated. twiddle_thumbs
mickenbacker 330
mickenbacker 330

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

curtains v windscreen cover Empty Re: curtains v windscreen cover

Post by Spospe Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 pm

We had external screens and the curtains. Not happy with just external screens and no curtains. If you go out for the day and want to screen the interior from both sun and prying eyes, using exterior screens is a bit of a pain.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by broadwayelduo Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:25 pm

mickenbacker 330 wrote:the curtains in our duetto are looking a bit worse for wear so we decided to replace them,we then thought about not replacing the cab curtains and leaving them off altogether and getting an exterior thermal windscreen cover has anyone else gone for or recommend this option? as always any feed back is always appreciated. twiddle_thumbs

Each serves it's own purpose curtains/windscreen cover and you will find all have a different opinion on these and for the purpose they serve...My own opinion is one week after buying a new Broadway el duo i took the curtains out and had pull out blinds fitted,my reasoning in this was that when traveling abroad and their is an external problem it is much quicker to flip the blinds open and drive off than faff around with cutains on a flimsy rail.
broadwayelduo
broadwayelduo

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway el duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Spospe wrote:We had external screens and the curtains. Not happy with just external screens and no curtains. If you go out for the day and want to screen the interior from both sun and prying eyes, using exterior screens is a bit of a pain.
I agree. up! 

We have an external screen but only use it when parked up for the night.  At all other times we use the curtains; and we don't worry about what they look like to anyone who can't see in because of them.  gimmefive 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:02 pm

My friend has a Symbol and uses an external screen all the time. 
In the daytime it is very dark and I like to see out the van in the daylight and only use an external screen when it is cold. I have said before I use the external screen on the inside to cover the seats when the van is parked up. Use the original curtains at night only.

Actually its what you prefer.

Best regards, Mike   courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Den and Colin Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi - we have just started our second year with our Duetto and have bought an external screen which you can fold down or up half way during the day - this overcomes the problem of van being dark.  We didn't use the curtains on our first trip with the screen and prefered it because once settled in for the evening you can still get at the dashboard - this now gets used as a shelf at night for specs, watches, book etc + it doesn't feel quite so closed in as it did with the curtains closed.

It depends on what suits you best I guess  smile! 

Best wishes, Denise
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by mickenbacker 330 Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

to be fair we thought the same.also it seems like you have more space.but since having been away for four days we have thought that with curtains you can just park up and settle down for the night with out going outside and messing about with the screen cover.it was raining quite heavily at the time.we did wild camp for one night.so we are going to put curtains back in the cab area.we have replaced the original curtains with ones from dunhelm mill because the original ones are looking a bit tatty.but as you say its what suits you best.but with both options you can't loose, smile!
mickenbacker 330
mickenbacker 330

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Den and Colin Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi - we've left our curtains in just in case we ever need them as a back up - better safe than sorry!!  Denise
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Thu May 01, 2014 3:41 pm

I like to have the curtains closed in the evening, even if I've got the silver screen on outside, it's cosier.

I use the silver screen in the winter to keep it warmer but in the summer I just close the curtains. Same with the blinds on the other windows.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu May 01, 2014 4:19 pm

I have exterior  silver screens with the drop down flap, and also curtains, have a choice of what to use and when.

Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 Wed May 07, 2014 1:20 pm

We have external silver screens and the curtains available to use.  I was only saying on Tuesday to Shirli, that I felt that you lose space in the van with the curtain closed.  It is really something of an optical illusion though as  you only lose the depth of the dash.  As was said earlier in the thread, having the dash available means more places to put bits and bobs.  I think we will probably finish up using the outside screens at night and the curtains to gain some privacy if we just want a nap or whatever. 
It does remain a personal decision, go the way it suits you best.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down