The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol Peugeot Boxer

+3
burlingtonboaby
Walmergreen
JBNewbie
7 posters

Go down

Symbol Peugeot Boxer Empty Symbol Peugeot Boxer

Post by JBNewbie Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Does anyone have any experience of an 05 plate Symbol on a Peugeot Boxer, with approx 55,000 miles.  I may have the chance to consider purchasing one and I was wondering what to look out for, in particular.  Any advice/observations would be most welcome.  Thank you.
JBNewbie
JBNewbie

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Not yet an owner
Vehicle Year : Not yet

Back to top Go down

Symbol Peugeot Boxer Empty Re: Symbol Peugeot Boxer

Post by Walmergreen Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi
As the owner of an 06 with similar mileage.  I would advise that you be wary of rust underneath.  Mine came from Scotland and needed a fair and expensive amount of welding.  Also the front shock absorbers can need changing...which I've had to do.  Diesel pump can leak...but not too expensive.  The inside as it is an Autosleeper, just works as it should do.  smile!
Walmergreen
Walmergreen

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:45 pm

Walmergreen wrote:Hi
As the owner of an 06 with similar mileage.  I would advise that you be wary of rust underneath.  Mine came from Scotland and needed a fair and expensive amount of welding.  Also the front shock absorbers can need changing...which I've had to do.  Diesel pump can leak...but not too expensive.  The inside as it is an Autosleeper, just works as it should do.  smile!
Hi welcome to the forum from Bridington.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by andyh Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:37 pm

I had a 2002 model. Had the vehicle for two years and enjoyed it. Issues were:
- Rust (check previous MOTs and advisories)
- Water in gear box (common fault I believe) which had damaged gear box. Check gearbox oil for water, check all gear changes are OK. As I understand it, replacement gearboxes/parts for gearboxes are rare.
- Everything inside was more or less OK but check everything. Any problems with blinds, switches etc then knock that off the price as you'll be spending that to repair it.

Despite the issues, managed to sell it for not much less than we paid for it and the repairs. Not many vehicles seem to hold their value as much as motorhomes. Checking forecourt prices, our current Symbol seems to have gone up in value!
Good luck!
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 pm

We have a 2004 one which we are in the throes of PX ING fir a 2017 Model. It's been great. Excellent starter wagon if you're dipping your toe in for the first time. Sturdy, reliable convenient size. Watch out for rust on the jacking points area, 'join' area on the cills, and under front cab. Start it up ideally from cold, rev hard and watch for smoking exhaust. Check gear change is OK on a run. The selector can be a bit notch nothing to worry about.
orac
orac

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by JBNewbie Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:11 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies - your input is really welcome and is helping give me a good idea of what to look out for as I start to view potential purchases.
JBNewbie
JBNewbie

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Not yet an owner
Vehicle Year : Not yet

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:21 pm

One last thing, the area around the wagon where the top box is joined onto the main body can sometimes be slightly leaky as the cut off roof bit can rust. The black exterior trim is difficult to remove, as areas can be bonded to the bodywork. Look for tell tale signs on the interior trim and under the ariel. Any leaky windows are easily rebonded with Sikaflex 'mastic' but use the dedicated motorhome/caravan one.
orac
orac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Ireland Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:11 am

Hi Everyone, I'm a new member attempting to buy a Symbol but finding it hard to locate a good one. Just seen a low mileage 2001 and it seems generally ok but the roof join is corroded badly at the front on the top corners of the windscreen where the black trim acts as a rain gutter pouring water out at that point. The dealer is only prepared to clean, fill and paint in situ without removing the trim. Any experiences of this? I don't think it's a good or long term solution but would consider taking it like this and doing it properly later, any comments or advice most welcome? Thanks
Ross Ireland
Ross Ireland

Male

Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:23 am

Some corrosion is not necessarily a no no. Likely to be located underneath the drain holes. If that's it, then I wouldn't panic, but there is no real way of telling without either stripping the black external trim (difficult as bonded as well as screwed to bodywork - so costly if professionally done) or checking internal trim. Look for staining in the headlining above cab and above doors. Some discolouration I wouldn't worry about as you will also get condensation marks if the van has been used. It's a judgement call really. What's the rest of the wagon looking like ? do you know whether it's been kept in a salty sea environment? The top box/body join is not structural or likely to affect the integrity of the vehicle, so you could tackle personally over time. Underneath is very important.
orac
orac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Ireland Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks Orac, there is some light corrosion round the wheel arches and sills which I would expect but the underside looks ok and original without welds covered up. The corrosion is "original" so probably better to maintain than something repaired?
Ross Ireland
Ross Ireland

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:47 pm

Ross Ireland wrote:corroded badly at the front on the top corners of the windscreen

My advice would be to walk away from that one. If it's bad (which you really can't tell by just looking at it) then it's probably not economic to fix - because to do it properly would mean taking the roof off.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:49 pm

I would agree with Roopert. There are others out there.
orac
orac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Ireland Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi Thanks to Orac for a PM which I was unable to reply to as I needed to make 3 posts (being new) this is 3rd so I'll try again!

I've seen a very low mileage Minuet advertised N reg 1.9 diesel with turbo added. Lots of photos  and all seems ok. Happy with the interior spec as there is a little more cupboard space in trade off for no shower but I would probably never use an on board shower anyway. Any experience out there of a Minuet?
Ross Ireland
Ross Ireland

Male

Back to top Go down