The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop

+4
bikeralw
v8oholic
Paulmold
DavidA
8 posters

Go down

2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop Empty 2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop

Post by DavidA Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Hello everyone,
My new Symbol has now done over 500 miles and I have noticed 2 possible problems.

1. The fan behind the radiator on the passenger side keeps starting and stopping when the aircon is on - even when starting from cold. 
It will start and run for about 2 seconds and then cut out, repeating this sequence about every 10 seconds.

2 The auto start stop worked when I initially collected the van, and has not worked since.

Has anyone else seen these type of problems?
DavidA
DavidA

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop Empty Re: 2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:07 pm

There are lots of criteria that needs to be ascertained for stop/start to work....taken from handbook.....

STOP & START
The Stop & Start system puts the engine
temporarily into standby - STOP mode -
during stops in the traffic (red lights, traffic
jams, or other...). The engine restarts
automatically - START mode - as soon as
you want to move off. The restart takes
place instantly, quickly and silently.
Perfect for urban use, the Stop & Start
system reduces fuel consumption and
exhaust emissions and offers the comfort of
complete silence when stationary.
Operation
Going into engine STOP mode
-
The "S" warning lamp comes
on in the instrument panel and
the engine goes into standby.
With the vehicle stationary,
put the gear lever into neutral,
then release the clutch pedal.
Automatic stopping of the engine is
only possible after the vehicle has
exceed a speed of about 6 mph (10 km/h),
to avoid repeated stopping of the engine
when driving slowly.
Never leave your vehicle with out first
turning off the ignition with the key.
Never refuel with the engine in STOP
mode; you must switch off the ignition
with the key.
Starting and stopping
Special cases: STOP mode unavailable
The STOP mode is not invoked when:
-
the system is initialising,
-
the driver's door is open,
-
the driver's seat belt is not fastened,
-
the air conditioning is running,
-
the heated rear screen is on,
-
the windscreen wiper is on fast wipe,
-
reverse gear is engaged, for a parking
manoeuvre,
-
some special conditions (battery
charge, engine temperature, particle
filter regeneration, braking assistance,
ambient temperature...) where the
engine is needed to assure control of a
system.
The

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop Empty Re: 2021 Symbol - A/C fan and Start/Stop

Post by v8oholic Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:21 pm

Stop/start does not work in my Symbol when it has been on EHU. I assume that it confuses the vehicle's own battery monitoring software. After driving it quite a long way (or perhaps it having been off EHU all day) AND having stopped somewhere and restarted the engine, it starts functioning again (even with the fridge running on 12V). Until the next period on EHU, which upsets it again.

To be honest, Stop/Start is annoying in the extreme with a diesel engine, and I doubt it makes any difference to economy or emissions, but I do know it will make a difference to the longevity of the starter motor and battery. So I wish you could permanently disable it.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidA Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:44 pm

Many thanks for the quick replies. I have been using EHU when parked at home and on site so it does sound like a voltage-related problem  - I had the same problems with start/stop on my previous van (Transit Custom) due to battery failure.
DavidA
DavidA

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:28 pm

I mentioned the stupid start/stop feature on my new car in another post.
It's now second nature to press the disable switch straight after starting the engine. I wonder how many other owners do the same.
If someone comes up with a permanent off solution I'd be first in the queue to implement it.
It just seems such a pointless system, the small savings in petrol and emissions must be hugely offset by having to have a much bigger battery and possibly a new starter motor earlier than would normally be the case.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

BobK and AutoSleepy_Don like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:37 pm

DavidA wrote:1. The fan behind the radiator on the passenger side keeps starting and stopping when the aircon is on - even when starting from cold. 
It will start and run for about 2 seconds and then cut out, repeating this sequence about every 10 seconds.

Albeit mildly annoying, this seems perfectly normal.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:40 pm

bikeralw wrote:If someone comes up with a permanent off solution I'd be first in the queue to implement it.

Is there not a setting that a dealer can change in their workshop to permanently disable this?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:10 pm

RogerThat wrote:
bikeralw wrote:If someone comes up with a permanent off solution I'd be first in the queue to implement it.

Is there not a setting that a dealer can change in their workshop to permanently disable this?
I very much doubt it as the start/stop plays a part in meeting exhaust emissions and I'd think permanently disabling it could result in an MOT failure.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 pm

I think Start/Stop is potentially dangerous, my wife's Audi has it. For example near us there's a T-junction on a deregulated road. Stopping at the Give-Way line cars could approach coming round a shallow bend from our left at over 40 mph. What's worse is that the side road is lower down so there's a small incline to climb when making a right turn. Because of the delay when setting off with Start/Stop I always turn off this feature. I wonder how many accidents might have been prevented if vehicles didn't have Start/Stop?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:52 am

I have a car with stop/start and was initially very hesitant about using it.  Systems must be getting better as pick up after the engine has stopped is well nigh instantaneous.  It only works if you are in neutral and the clutch is not depressed so the system doesn't work if you are crawling along at a junction for example.  Having become used to it it is probably well over a year since I disabled it.  By the way it's also handy if you stall for any reason as the engine automatically restarts :-)

Tony Comber
shipbadger
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:52 am

Relaxez-Vous wrote:I think Start/Stop is potentially dangerous, my wife's Audi has it. For example near us there's a T-junction on a deregulated road. Stopping at the Give-Way line cars could approach coming round a shallow bend from our left at over 40 mph. What's worse is that the side road is lower down so there's a small incline to climb when making a right turn. Because of the delay when setting off with Start/Stop I always turn off this feature. I wonder how many accidents might have been prevented if vehicles didn't have Start/Stop?
Yes, that's another downside! Admittedly it's only a small delay, but to find your engine has stopped just at the point when you need an ultra quick move, for instance when attempting to insert into a busy roundabout, is disconcerting to say the least!
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down