The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper

+5
shipbadger
FreelanderUK
v8oholic
RML
abirkitt1972
9 posters

Go down

Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper Empty Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper

Post by abirkitt1972 Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:43 am

Hello All,

As mentioned in my last post, I'm about to buy a T4 Trooper. Could I ask if anyone has any recommendations for insurance and breakdown cover please? I've read Adrian Flux is regarded as is, obviously the AA or RAC.

Thank you all in advance!

Regards

Andrew
abirkitt1972
abirkitt1972

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper Empty Re: Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper

Post by RML Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:02 am

We been with Adrian Flux but currently use Safeguard. I shop around at renewal and I'll only change for savings of more than £25, IMO changing for less is a hassle I'm not prepared to suffer. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

abirkitt1972 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper Empty Re: Insurance & Breakdown for a Trooper

Post by abirkitt1972 Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:03 am

RML wrote:We been with Adrian Flux but currently use Safeguard. I shop around at renewal and I'll only change for savings of more than £25, IMO changing for less is a hassle I'm not prepared to suffer. 
Rich..
Thankyou!
abirkitt1972
abirkitt1972

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:59 am

I would think twice about RAC breakdown cover. There have been a number of cases in the last two or three months just among people I know in the car world through Twitter, where wait times for recovery of 7-25 hours were typical. I won't be renewing with them this year, and I have been a continuous member since 1993. Last time I needed the RAC, it was a 5 hour wait in the middle of nowhere, and it seems like it's deteriorated even more since then.

it's very important to read the small print before signing up to anything because some of the cheaper policies have an age limit of 10 years for vehicles.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:01 am

I changed from Safeguard to Caravan guard as the price was nearly half of my renewal with Safeguard

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:30 am

I've used Lifesure as brokers since they were still called the Motor Caravan Insurance Agency.  Currently have four vehicles insured through them.  Always been very helpful over the years.  As regards breakdown cover Mayday through the CAMC club = Green Flag.  I have personal cover which covers me driving any vehicle.  Not cheap, around £120 a year from memory but have had several recoveries when I've certainly had that years subscription back.

tony Comber
shipbadger
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:24 pm

NFU motor caravan insurance includes basic RAC breakdown cover provided your van is under 3500kg and less than 5m long. The breakdown cover can be enhanced for an additional payment.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi.
Did you get a quote from ourselves yet? If you did how did we do?
Regards,
Dan.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : No
Vehicle Year : No

RML and abirkitt1972 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by abirkitt1972 Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:13 pm

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX wrote:Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
Hey Dan,

I did actually, but you were more expensive than others recommended in this thread.

I have not taken delivery of the vehicle yet, so still pricing insurance and breakdown up.

Regards

Andy
abirkitt1972
abirkitt1972

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:59 pm

I use Autoaid for breakdown cover. It's something like £50-60 a year. I've used it a lot of late! It works like a broker and sends out a local recovery firm. A couple of times, that has involved a small truck arriving that can't take the van, then waiting another hour or two for a bigger truck. I have nothing to compare it to since I've never had any other breakdown cover but I feel like I've had my money's worth!

On a recent breakdown in Rhyl, the local recovery firm arrived, diagnosed a broken turbocharger. Went back to his garage a few miles away because he thought he had an identical engine in his garage and offered to fit the turbo off that engine the following day (Sunday). Alas, he didn't have it. When my van had another breakdown straight after a new turbo was fitted, I immediately texted the guy to ask if he had any thoughts on what the new problem might be. I didn't hear back for a couple of days. He called me on a Saturday evening, told me he was sorry for the delay but an engine had blown up in his face and he'd been in hospital. He then told me he'd seen this problem twice before with a Transit (mine has a Transit chassis) and a Fiesta and both times it was a blown injector. My mobile mechanic had diagnosed a bent conrod and came out to do that on the Monday. I asked him to check the injectors first and sure enough, the 4th injector was blown. The guy may have saved me a small fortune. Would you get that kind of service from the AA / RAC, etc.?

The fella who actually towed me back from Rhyl (because the first guy didn't have any big trucks free) was an angry, miserable sod and so and I had to share the cab with him back to Liverpool, which wasn't great! So it's a bit of a lottery!
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigelbs Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:27 pm

My car insurers (LV) cover a motorhome at a very reasonable additional cost - much cheaper than any other quotes a presumably because I can’t be driving both at once.
Nigelbs
Nigelbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigelbs Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 pm

As fir breakdown I use the free service that comes with my bank account - used it a couple of times and response time has been within a couple of hours.
Nigelbs
Nigelbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:50 pm

abirkitt1972 wrote:
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX wrote:Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
Hey Dan,

I did actually, but you were more expensive than others recommended in this thread.

I have not taken delivery of the vehicle yet, so still pricing insurance and breakdown up.

Regards

Andy
Ok no worries.
Thanks for giving us a try.
Regards,
Dan
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : No
Vehicle Year : No