The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot water tank leak

2 posters

Go down

Hot water tank leak Empty Hot water tank leak

Post by Spoonvet Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:41 pm

1998 Duetto with a Cascade 2 electric/gas system. I kept getting an airlock in my system that would usually clear, eventually discovered the water tank was leaking at the gas element end - took it all out and ordered new seals, valves etc. Got it all back together and now its leaking at the back around the 2 bolts that mount the electric element on - i have fiddled with the seals, tightened bolts as far as I can to no avail. Inserted bolts from inside the tank - bolt washer and seal against the base of the tank - then threaded through the element mounting plate and tightened. I can't see what is wrong unless the seals are wrong! Its a fiddly job and I will also need the electric loom sorted as I've knocked that about sadly! Any help appreciated.
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Hot water tank leak Empty Re: Hot water tank leak

Post by Spoonvet Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:58 pm

I think my issue is the actual tank - there was limescale around the interior of the bolts and the heating element - i suspect that there are small erosions meaning its hard to get it water tight. I have an option of using some heat resistant sealant to get a seal, or maybe replace the tank with a gas only tank - just one hole for the tie bar, there are a few on eBay, would need to buy a tie bar as well as they are different sizes for the gas only as opposed to the gas electric ones. Fun!
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spoonvet Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:41 pm

I've ended up sealing the heating element insert and bolts with a gasket sealant. Put it all back together and ran gas to get to full heat - all good so far. I will be gas only as it works well and I can't be * Inappropriate Word * to pay for a new loom!
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Grabea Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Good to hear you got it all sealed up, wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to replicate the loom to have electric heating as well after all it's just electric string and you have the original as a pattern?
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Hot water tank leak Empty Electric!

Post by Spoonvet Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:27 pm

Grabea wrote:Good to hear you got it all sealed up, wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to replicate the loom to have electric heating as well after all it's just electric string and you have the original as a pattern?
Graham
Cheers - someone was reading!! I'm getting the van ready for a trip and have spent some cash on getting my P4 heater sorted - so easy fix for the water heater is required. TBH - gas works fairly well so I'm happy with. If this bodge doesn't work I will reassess.
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Grabea Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:46 pm

Good luck, ours works OK on gas but we tend to use the mains when we have it and keep the gas for when we don't have mains available, we have no lights on our control pannel so it's a bit of guesswork as to whether or not it's working, I usually feel outside for warm air coming out of the vent!
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Spoonvet Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Cheers. Just looking at tank now - I've sealed the bolts with the gasket sealant so couldn't fit a loom anyway!! It if became an issue I could source a tank - there's a few on ebay.
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down