The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixed LPG tank

+13
Kevinktwo
marbarsymbol
FreelanderUK
Gromit
IanH
Paulmold
Victor Johnstone
rgermain
Weegie
AutoSleepy_Don
PLOUGHLIN
Tinwheeler
jeffhornsey
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fixed LPG tank - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixed LPG tank

Post by mikemelson Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:00 am

I've given up on gauges. My Symbol came with a 6kg Autogas bottle with a useless gauge.
As I spend all the time off-grid, I decided on an underslung tank but also kept the 6kg bottle in the gas locker. They are both filled from the same filler point.
So when the main tank runs out, I switch over to the Autogas bottle & know I've a few days to replenish the system--Simples!!

PS. The next step is to remove the spare wheel to the back of the van & fit a Gasit container in it's place which should give me enough gas for a couple of months.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:11 am

Gromit wrote:The gauges are not junk. In any case, the little dial on the dash is not what measures the amount of gas remaining. That is a float operated system located in the gas tank, with an electrical sender to activate the dial (or LED dots in this case) on the indicator.

As said already, they appear to be inaccurate. They are not inaccurate as such because they are consistent, and designed to show nearly empty when there's quite a bit of gas left - it's called a reserve tank in other situations.

Autosleepy Don is spot on with his comments. It just needs a more positive attitude and a bit of observation to work out how each one performs.

Try estimating how much is left in a Calor bottle without going to a lot of faff - as Ian perfectly described. Are they classed as junk because you never quite know how much is in there?  shrugg
Well I must have a huge “reserve” then as when my red light comes on I can only get 8 Ltrs of gas in so that’s a reserve of 12 Ltrs. Not sure how that can be classed as accurate!

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Victor Johnstone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:22 am

I would expect your tank is recent enough to have fixed mounting "feet" so it can't be mounted at the wrong angle - but it might be worth checking.

Before the "feet", when the cylinder was installed in what amounted to huge jubilee clips, A/S frequently got it wrong and the gauge couldn't work properly as the float was not free to move correctly.

Loosening the fixing and rotating the tank to the correct angle usually fixed the problem.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:31 am

Gromit wrote:I would expect your tank is recent enough to have fixed mounting "feet" so it can't be mounted at the wrong angle - but it might be worth checking.

Before the "feet", when the cylinder was installed in what amounted to huge jubilee clips, A/S frequently got it wrong and the gauge couldn't work properly as the float was not free to move correctly.

Loosening the fixing and rotating the tank to the correct angle usually fixed the problem.
Yes, mine has the mounting feet so it can’t be changed 😡

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:39 am

Victor Johnstone wrote:Thanks all and again joking aside, on a vehicle costing £55,000 I shouldn't have to be monkeying around with all this.
Maybe time to dump it and go for a Carthago hugegrins hugegrins
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:46 am

Nice one Richard!lol4 lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

rgermain and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:17 pm

rgermain wrote:
Victor Johnstone wrote:Thanks all and again joking aside, on a vehicle costing £55,000 I shouldn't have to be monkeying around with all this.
Maybe time to dump it and go for a Carthago hugegrins hugegrins
---------
Richard
Just bought it and love it but this niggles. Spoiling the ship for a ha'penny.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Gromit wrote:The gauges are not junk. In any case, the little dial on the dash is not what measures the amount of gas remaining. That is a float operated system located in the gas tank, with an electrical sender to activate the dial (or LED dots in this case) on the indicator.

As said already, they appear to be inaccurate. They are not inaccurate as such because they are consistent, and designed to show nearly empty when there's quite a bit of gas left - it's called a reserve tank in other situations.

Autosleepy Don is spot on with his comments. It just needs a more positive attitude and a bit of observation to work out how each one performs.

Try estimating how much is left in a Calor bottle without going to a lot of faff - as Ian perfectly described. Are they classed as junk because you never quite know how much is in there?  shrugg
Sorry but it's nothing to do with "positive attitudes". To be blunt that is insulting.  The gauge is inanimate. Having an "attitude" towards it is useless. The fact is AS have this fitted this and it is indeed junk. I paid for it but it is hopelessly and inconsistently inaccurate!. Observing it positively or negatively makes no difference to it. It is hopeless! It disnae work! Nobody seems able to say how it can be made to work! 

Whether or not volumes in gas bottles are easier to judge is irrelevant although they dont pretend to have a gauge.

It does AS no good to accept rubbish kit like this.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:06 pm

To be frank, my badly fitted gas flue and creaking furniture put the inaccurate gas level gauge in the shade.

No offence intended, VJ, but I can’t view the gauge issue as you do. I got used to it and knew how to compensate. The water tank gauges are also inaccurate as are many level gauges in all walks of life. It's not a big deal to me.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

rgermain, PLOUGHLIN and Gromit like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Tinwheeler, no offence either but a badly fitted flue scares me! Particularly if it left the AS factory like that. I worked in housing maintenance for many years and apart from the GasSafe regs, operatives would get disciplined or maybe sacked for that..

Scaring me now,  maybe my prob is a gas leak from a pipe not secured properly!! Completely disgraceful if it is.

I dont intend to accept a non working gauge on a new 55k vehicle. No compensation possible on mine anyway - it's inconsistent.  

Of course most level gauges work properly and have done for many many years in the automotive industry. 

It's 2021, they can land robots on mars and fly a helicopter there from 38 million miles away.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

OldWomble likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:44 pm

…..mine was a £64k Warwick Duo. Price has no bearing on it but I can see you won’t be convinced so I wish you good luck.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:45 pm

@Victor Johnstone
I suggest that when you fill the LPG tank, you fill to 100%.
Make a note of how many LEDs are illuminated before you fill, and how much LPG the tank took to fill to 100%.
Write these readings down.

Could you post your readings here to give us some actual data.

My experience matches the table given in this post [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:05 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:@Victor Johnstone
Make a note of how many LEDs are illuminated before you fill, and how much LPG the tank took to fill to 100%.

My experience matches the table given in this post [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks.
That is what we do, the good thing is when showing almost empty, you have plenty of gas left. I have never ever got more than £9 worth in when filling. Same as the waste and fresh tanks, just use your noddle. 

We really enjoy our Duo and just get on with it.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

OldWomble and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Victor Johnstone wrote:Tinwheeler, no offence either but a badly fitted flue scares me! Particularly if it left the AS factory like that. I worked in housing maintenance for many years and apart from the GasSafe regs, operatives would get disciplined or maybe sacked for that..

Scaring me now,  maybe my prob is a gas leak from a pipe not secured properly!! Completely disgraceful if it is.

I dont intend to accept a non working gauge on a new 55k vehicle. No compensation possible on mine anyway - it's inconsistent.  

Of course most level gauges work properly and have done for many many years in the automotive industry. 

It's 2021, they can land robots on mars and fly a helicopter there from 38 million miles away.
Could check for a gas leak with a naked flame, if you have one, bang end of problem hugegrins hugegrins

Don't let these little snags get in the way of enjoying your van. Mine rattles and bangs over manholes etc, not to mention the odd scrapes inside and outside.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

OldWomble and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:15 pm

There's a table on this factsheet page which shows what the various lights on the gauge for a correctly-mounted underslung tank mean in terms of contents:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks.
Here you are then;

Red light on tank took 7.7 Ltrs to fill it
8 green lights tank full to 80%

Checked it with another device and it is full to 80% exactly. Ie 20 Ltrs.
That means I have a reserve of 12.3 Ltrs when the red light shows!!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:33 pm

Mine was equally inaccurate until I got AS to realign the tank. Now the gauge gives the values in the table - red light says it's at reserve of c.4 litres left. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:40 pm

If the gauge in the van gives different  reading to the gauge in the tank, there's a video on YouTube to recalibrate it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm

Paulmold wrote:If the gauge in the van gives different  reading to the gauge in the tank, there's a video on YouTube to recalibrate it.
Do you have a link for that Paul? I can’t find it anywhere. I doubt it will help me though as my tank has fixing feet so cannot be turned in the normal way.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:58 pm

OldWomble wrote:
Paulmold wrote:If the gauge in the van gives different  reading to the gauge in the tank, there's a video on YouTube to recalibrate it.
Do you have a link for that Paul? I can’t find it anywhere. I doubt it will help me though as my tank has fixing feet so cannot be turned in the normal way.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

AutoSleepy_Don and OldWomble like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm

OldWomble wrote:

Thanks.
Here you are then;

Red light on tank took 7.7 Ltrs to fill it
8 green lights tank full to 80%

Checked it with another device and it is full to 80% exactly. Ie 20 Ltrs.
That means I have a reserve of 12.3 Ltrs when the red light shows!!!
I filled the tank when I picked the van up. presumably the 80% level. All green lights on. then despite almost no gas use some went out then mysteriously back on. travelled down to get the winter blanket stuck back on (lasted 2 days just taped it myself now) with half green steadily showing I tried topping up but embarrassingly it took just a few pence. The latest development is that with the van stationary now it's down to red light despite no gas consumption. I have no confidence regarding what is or isn't in there. It's not a calibration issue. Well, mine isn't.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Try filling it, then asap turning off all of the isolation valves. (incl and especially, the tank shut-off valve at the tank itself) Note the gauge reading then wait a few days. Should be the same as you're not burning any gas nor should any be leaking with the valves closed.
If that's the case then open just the tank valve (under vehicle) and repeat.
If it goes down on the indicator, then poss leak, if not do same, one at a time with the individual isolation valves. This would indicate which one, if any, is leaking.
I would have little confidence either but would be happier to find I didn't have a leak!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:09 pm

IanH wrote:Try filling it, then asap turning off all of the isolation valves. (incl and especially, the tank shut-off valve at the tank itself) Note the gauge reading then wait a few days. Should be the same as you're not burning any gas nor should any be leaking with the valves closed.
If that's the case then open just the tank valve (under vehicle) and repeat.
If it goes down on the indicator, then poss leak, if not do same, one at a time with the individual isolation valves. This would indicate which one, if any, is leaking.
I would have little confidence either but would be happier to find I didn't have a leak!
thanks Ian,

useful and I will try that.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:35 pm

Mine does constantly go from all green to about 4 greens while travelling even after filling up until the pump cuts out. I would think temperature and level ground play a big part.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:54 pm

My gauge was showing 4/5 lights (from 8) and I topped up with 8 litres so the gauge was accurate.
BornAgain

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2