The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Options for disposal of rusted Boxer

+8
Dave D
Greenfellers
Bulletguy
IanH
Avocado
Paulmold
Toffee
paddyinwales
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Options for disposal of rusted Boxer - Page 2 Empty Re: Options for disposal of rusted Boxer

Post by Guest Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:09 pm

paddyinwales wrote:"Second Opinion" MOT set for Thursday 15th July at High Noon!

What was the verdict Paddy? I hope it was good news.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Options for disposal of rusted Boxer - Page 2 Empty Re: Options for disposal of rusted Boxer

Post by paddyinwales Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 am

Good news, I hope! Our second opinion garage found only emissions and a hand-sized hole in nearside front mudguard, and say they can repair this week for low hundreds, estimate awaited!  Thanks for advice here to go for another MoT!

Will report back further.

Paddy
paddyinwales
paddyinwales

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Arnold Family, Slaphead and Greenfellers like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:52 am

Great news. Fingers crossed 🙂
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 pm

paddyinwales wrote:Good news, I hope! Our second opinion garage found only emissions and a hand-sized hole in nearside front mudguard, and say they can repair this week for low hundreds, estimate awaited!  Thanks for advice here to go for another MoT!

Paddy

Excellent news..

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:38 am

Electrician sorted my electrical issues today (second visit) new horn, steeting wheel connections cleaned and realigned, new lamps across the dash and the biggest task hunting down a reason for the handbrake light to stay on, all the dash out, brake fluid indicator and pad wear indicator checked, brake light switch checked and rechecked. 

It turned out to be a spare wire incorrectly connected to the battery -ve terminal, probably in the body shop.

Bathroom refit to finish and off for an MOT, maybe not in that order but hey..

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Arnold Family likes this post

Back to top Go down

Options for disposal of rusted Boxer - Page 2 Empty re:options for disposal of rusty boxer

Post by threedognight Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:35 pm

I had similar problems with my 1999 Boxer which was repaired by Martin Curzon at Curz Welding Unit 19, Anthony Way, Cillefwr Ind. Est. Johnstown, Carmarthen SA31 3RB  07812755421
threedognight
threedognight

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Greenfellers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by paddyinwales Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:30 am

paddyinwales wrote:Good news, I hope! Our second opinion garage found only emissions and a hand-sized hole in nearside front mudguard, and say they can repair this week for low hundreds, estimate awaited!  Thanks for advice here to go for another MoT!

Paddy
Well, finally I got the van back, repaired and MOT'd! In the end the work cost £650 since it was a fairly major restructuring of the nearside front wheel arch. But at least she is saved to holiday in for another year, and hopefully more! I had emptied the van after it was thoroughly condemned by the first MOT garage (which had made no mention of the hole in the wheel arch!), so am now busy re-equipping ready for a trip to the south coast!

Thanks very much to all here for your helpful advice, in particular to go for a second opinion! I have no idea why the first garage gave it such a savage MOT fail, I had taken the van there for years and had no problem. The test had been first thing on a Monday, perhaps the tester had had a bad weekend! I shan't use them again, ever!

All the best

Paddy in Wales
paddyinwales
paddyinwales

Male

Member Age : 77

Bulletguy, Arnold Family, Greenfellers and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:02 am

Oh that is brilliant news Paddy. So pleased for you - and good to see you're not wasting any time getting on the road!

Very strange that two MOT garages can have such different views on the same problems. Although everyone who's looked at our Symphony has wondered how on earth it got through it's last MOT so I'm guessing there's no such thing as a 'standard'!

Enjoy your trip.

Paul
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 am

paddyinwales wrote: I have no idea why the first garage gave it such a savage MOT fail
Although it's never happened to me, I've heard people talk of garages giving camper vans (and other vehicles for that matter) terrible MOT fails in the hope that the owner will be willing to accept a really low-bid offer on it. Of course if the owner then makes it clear that they will fix it, there is no point in making the offer, but they don't know that until after they have failed it...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenfellers Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:52 pm

paddyinwales wrote:

Paddy
Well, finally I got the van back, repaired and MOT'd! In the end the work cost £650 since it was a fairly major restructuring of the nearside front wheel arch. But at least she is saved to holiday in for another year, and hopefully more! I had emptied the van after it was thoroughly condemned by the first MOT garage (which had made no mention of the hole in the wheel arch!), so am now busy re-equipping ready for a trip to the south coast!

Thanks very much to all here for your helpful advice, in particular to go for a second opinion! I have no idea why the first garage gave it such a savage MOT fail, I had taken the van there for years and had no problem. The test had been first thing on a Monday, perhaps the tester had had a bad weekend! I shan't use them again, ever!

All the best

Paddy in Wales
Excellent news Paddy, happy camping..

I got mine MOT'd last week and used it over the weekend, just cosmetics to sort now, possibly a new floor covering and replace the back panel where I had to remove the bathroom.
Been a slog but worth persevering I think, too good to write off. Total cost so far around £3K plus my time etc.
Now to get on the road.. 

Andy
Greenfellers
Greenfellers

Male

Arnold Family likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Greenfellers wrote:
Been a slog but worth persevering I think, too good to write off. Total cost so far around £3K plus my time etc.
Now to get on the road.. 

Andy
Also good news!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:25 am

paddyinwales wrote:

Paddy
Well, finally I got the van back, repaired and MOT'd! In the end the work cost £650 since it was a fairly major restructuring of the nearside front wheel arch. But at least she is saved to holiday in for another year, and hopefully more!
Thats a massive discrepancy between the original garage MOT fail of  "inner wings, chassis rails, engine mounting, rear valence, outriggers, sill" since the only item both agree on is a front wheel arch. I know you're obviously overjoyed at getting your van fixed and back on the road but that vast difference would be enough for me to question what the heck they were up to!

There is an appeals process through an Ombudsman over MOT failures but they have to be notified within 14 days of the fail.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2