The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 WXL

+2
TonyB
Sapper
6 posters

Go down

2020 WXL Empty 2020 WXL

Post by Sapper Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Evening all,

We're on site with our 2020 WXL and since we've been here the submersible pump has been kicking in for just a second or two every 15 - 20mins or so. I've tried turning the white pressure knob inside the offside locker to no effect. Mind you, I could be doing it all wrong because I don't really know what I'm doing so would welcome any help,  thanks.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

2020 WXL Empty Re: 2020 WXL

Post by TonyB Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi, have a careful check around for a slight leak.Could be a tap drip or weeping joint or dump valve from boiler not shut properly.What causes the pump to run is a slight drop in water pressure.Good luck.
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue May 18, 2021 1:14 pm

I experienced the same symptoms in 2018 when my van was just months old.
There is a non return valve built into the pressure switch which can get some dirt in and leak ever so slightly. The leak lets the pressurised water gradually flow back to the tank.
I replaced my pressure switch (new item from Amazon) but later realised I only needed to clean the non return valve in the existing pressure switch. It's easy to do (on a Duo at least) having done it once before.

The other issue caused by my leaky non return valve was that it took a long time to re pressurise the system if I left the pump off for e.g. 12 hours overnight.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue May 18, 2021 5:07 pm

I have had that situation……I removed pressure switch and cleaned it out,there is a small rubber mushroom valve which will not seal if a bit of debris or limescale is present.I run down heater and taps and had no water when pressure switch removed.
I also believe similar thing happens as hot water cools in tank and contracts.
If your still out camping it may be worth living with it and tackle it at home.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Wed May 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Excuse my total ignorance, but the pressure switch you  mention is the white one with the adjustable knob on top is it, Is it easy to remove and clean?
Thanks for your help and suggestions allthumbz
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed May 19, 2021 8:39 pm

This is it and arrows show how I removed it.  
The water pipe has a push fit. I learned how to separate it with this video (about 2 mins from start) but you may know already 

With regards to degree of difficulty, I would do it again in a heartbeat but I was nervous the first time.

The one way valve is on the inlet pipe (far end on photo) to the best of my recollection.

I could blow through mine both ways before cleaning, once cleaned I could blow only in one direction.

2020 WXL 2018-110
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed May 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Sapper wrote:Evening all,

We're on site with our 2020 WXL and since we've been here the submersible pump has been kicking in for just a second or two every 15 - 20mins or so. I've tried turning the white pressure knob inside the offside locker to no effect. Mind you, I could be doing it all wrong because I don't really know what I'm doing so would welcome any help,  thanks.
We had this problem which is caused by a drop in water pressure.  I don't think is will be caused by an out of adjustment Whale pressure switch.  It could be caused by a very small water leak, e.g. the Truma drop valve or the shower mixer valve which were both replaced on our Nuevo.  It could also be caused by one or both of the NRVs (Whale NRV next to the Whale pressure switch & Truma NRV next to the hot water tank) allowing water to flow backwards and eventually back into the fresh water tank.  Another cause is water in the hot water tank cooling down. We eventually had the Whale submersible pump (which had failed) and the Whale pressure switch and its NRV replaced with a Shurflo pump.  The Shurflo doesn't need a NRV, as water will only flow through it in one direction and when the pump is switched on, and is less sensitive to changes in pressure and voltage.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Wed May 19, 2021 10:48 pm

Sapper wrote:Excuse my total ignorance, but the pressure switch you  mention is the white one with the adjustable knob on top is it, Is it easy to remove and clean?
Thanks for your help and suggestions allthumbz
Hi Sapper , I have given advise several times on this specific issue with  leak back of the one way valve on the pressure switch. The valve sits under the inlet side pipe spigot. As stated above ie  the rhs of the photo provided .  You will see 2 pozi headed screws which hold the inlet  pipe spigot to the main valve body . Remove these and the valve will  be exposed. Carefully clean the rubber washer and mating surface . It only takes a small grain of grit or scale from hard water areas to  cause issues if this is causing your intermittent pump run. Problem is a leak in this valve returns water to the tank so no conventional leak ie puddles of water seen. Its an easy task to remove the pressure switch first to give better access. Just follow the guide in removing the pipes first  by depressing the ring on the end of the couplings and pulling the pipes off the valve and then remove the screws holding it to the floor. Disconnect the wires going to the switch and Bobs your ... up!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 am

Thank you very much for the generous advice which I appreciate.

We're only here for a couple more days so I think I will leave it until we get back home, I can then drain the system off which I guess I would have to anyway.

I'm probably being a bit thick here but, the valve I need to clean is the white one next to the pressure switch? I have separated pipes before which have had the black connectors but these are white ones which look a bi different, do they work the same way?

Thanks for having patience with me shrugg

Should have added, sometime in the future how difficult would it be to do away with the submersible pump and add a trusty Shure Flo?
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm

You are playing with fire mentioning *ureflo !!  hugegrins  yes if it is a case of a leak past the one way valve then it is as stated built into the inlet side of the white pressure switch.. Unless you have a soggy damp patch festering in some dark unseen corner of the van from another leak.....A/s are good at cutting pipes to the  bare minimum length putting strain on joints usually behind a hidden panel somewhere! Once you get a chance to inspect just ask if you require any further  help or advice......
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Thu May 20, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks K up!
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Sat May 22, 2021 8:02 pm

Probably a stupid question, but if I did have a go at the non return valve I guess I would have to drain the whole system first.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sat May 22, 2021 8:42 pm

Yes best to drain pipework down.  Last thing you want is a flood in a new van ! Don't stress it is an easy task and probably 20 minutes at most,  start to finish.  up!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat May 22, 2021 8:57 pm

In theory the Truma NRV should hold the water in the hot water tank but its only water so i would drain the whole lot down.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down