The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking sliding door Trident 2009

3 posters

Go down

Leaking sliding door Trident 2009 Empty Leaking sliding door Trident 2009

Post by SuSim Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 pm

I bought the above van in October 2020, but of course only started using it recently.
It was hand washed last month, and then had a lot of rain on it in the last couple of weeks, including heavy rain last weekend. A few weeks ago I noticed what at first I thought was dust along the bottom of the sliding door, and just brushed it off. It reappeared this weekend but this time I realised that the door fabric was wet - at the bottom. Closer inspection shows that the fabric has deteriorated over a small area, so this seems to be a  problem of some duration. I thought new door seals would be the answer, but my garage says it could be the drainage channels in the window. Is this a known problem? The dealer has been helpful and it is going back to them in June, but I am concerned that whatever is beneath the sliding door material has also been compromised. 
SuSim
SuSim

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Leaking sliding door Trident 2009 Empty Re: Leaking sliding door Trident 2009

Post by Roopert Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 am

Yes - it's a very well known problem with the factory sliding windows on the VW T5.

Our 2013 T5.1's window leaked from pretty much the day it was delivered, and out 2005 Trooper had leaked so badly (before we owned it) that we had to have the factory window cut out and replaced with an aftermarket replacement slider - which has been leak-free ever since (4 years, roughly).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SuSim Tue May 11, 2021 6:07 am

Thank. you for taking the time to reply - hopefully the dealer can sort it out.
SuSim
SuSim

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

In my experience it helps a lot to keep the seals clean. The VW window design may ~look~ elegant, but it is fundamentally flawed. The horizontal seal at the top cannot resist the road grit that inevitably gets deposited on it while driving in the rain, and that grit gradually works its way down to allow water to leak through. But they are a bit fiddly to clean, I must admit!

The window on our 2005 van had been leaking for quite a while before we bought it, and the steel understructure of the lower guide rail had rusted and distorted, so that the window was no longer pressed properly against the fixed glass. It was not repairable (because the lower rail is bonded to the glass) so we had to have it replaced. If you never plan to use it as an opening window then a cheap and effective solution may simply be to seal it closed.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 pm

see
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 
read all posts especially mine

frederic