The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling Symbol Owners.... Help?

5 posters

Go down

Calling Symbol Owners.... Help? Empty Calling Symbol Owners.... Help?

Post by pilchard Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Does anyone have a Symbol dating from around the same age as mine... 2001.
I desperately need the sizes of the glass lid of your cooker... if it is the same model... a Spinflo Caprice 2020.
An easy identifier is that the original smoked glass lid has a "cut-out" in the middle of front edge that looks like a hand-grip.
I need accurate measurements to within 1 millimetre. That's Width, Depth, and Thickness of the glass. I believe the glass is 4mm thick, but I could be wrong.

I broke my glass lid and cannot for the life of me find a suitable replacement, so I will have to get one made. At over £50 plus carriage, I really need to get the dimensions spot-on.

Apologies to admin for duplicating this cry for help, but I'm desperate as we'll be doing that Scottish NC 500 very soon.
pilchard

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Calling Symbol Owners.... Help? Empty Re: Calling Symbol Owners.... Help?

Post by Taurian Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 pm

It doesn't have to be glass.  When I had my 2003 Symbol,  a previous owner had obviously broken the glass lid and had a steel one made to the same size   Much stronger and not prone to breakage which seems quite common.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

Dave D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:24 pm

The OP has started a new thread, which means that you can't see the context that was stated in the previous thread.

He already has a copy which is made out of stainless steel, but wants to replace it.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:09 am

Taurian wrote:It doesn't have to be glass.  When I had my 2003 Symbol,  a previous owner had obviously broken the glass lid and had a steel one made to the same size   Much stronger and not prone to breakage which seems quite common.
Yes I thought a Stainless-Steel one would be a good idea too. I did it... it wasn't. 
Despite using a good gauge of SS ,it is too bendy. Only the right-hand hinge is spring-loaded and the tension from that has distorted the SS lid. It looks a real sight. It didn't look great in the first place, but it now looks a real pig's ear.
No... it HAS to be glass... to the correct dimensions, and to the correct thickness (which I believe, but am not sure, is 4mm) otherwise... if for no other reason, the weight to balance against the spring tension will not be correct.

WIDTH, DEPTH & THICKNESS... accurate to 1mm... of original glass lid to Spinflo Caprice 2020 oven please... as fitted to Auto-Sleepers Symbol models approx 20 years ago, and probably various other models..................URGENT.
pilchard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 am

Roopert wrote:The OP has started a new thread, which means that you can't see the context that was stated in the previous thread.

He already has a copy which is made out of stainless steel, but wants to replace it.
Yes.... it's an embarrassment.
pilchard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JandJ Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:01 pm

Lid to oven or lid to hob? Our 2006 symbol has a Spinflo OH92000 Caprice Mark III.

Hob lid is 487 Wide, 430 deep at the side but the front is curved so the centre is 445. Thickness measures 4mm +/- 0.05 on my cheap caliper.

Joe

Last edited by JandJ on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected model name and added measurements.)
JandJ
JandJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:54 am

If the glass had corner radius, Could a template be made out of cardboard

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down