The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30A fuse holder

3 posters

Go down

30A fuse holder Empty 30A fuse holder

Post by frederic Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Replaced the 30A fuse in the habitation wiring, in our 2009 Duetto, due to heat damage to the original one
caused by poor electrical contact between fuse and its holder. 
WITH
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
easy but seat needs to be removed to get good access.
Maxi fuse should now cope with the demands of the Eberspaecher as this was wired through this fuse instead IMHO a separate one.
There are also a 20A and 5A just before the Eber. and perhaps a direct contact to the leisure battery may have sufficed.
Better safe though.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

30A fuse holder Empty Re: 30A fuse holder

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm

We had a 2003 Duetto and at an ASOC AGM I learnt that the wire feeding 12V power to the Eberspächer heater wasn't thick enough to prevent the voltage dropping particularly when off EHU, often the heater wouldn't start properly. At Willersy A-S made a separate direct feed to the leisure battery under the seat. Actually I didn't like that they'd taken the cable through our clothes locker under the bench seat and I routed a new cable that was more out of sight, but at least I knew where to connect things. I'm not sure in which year A-S beefed up the thickness of the wire to the Eberspächer.

One day I noticed the fridge wasn't working when we were on the road, no 12V red light on the Dometic fridge. I traced this to a blown and melted fuse associated with the split charging relay that's under the driver's seat. I put this down to us staying several days off-grid at a Warners motorcaravan show. Leaving the site the leisure battery would have been rather flat causing a high charging current from the alternator, beyond what the fuse could cope with. In future when we still had the van I'd do periodic checks of this fuse.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:45 pm

Which fuse The 30A  green one or the 15 A blue? to the fridge and did A/S fit an additional fuse, to the 20A & 5A, in their new run?
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:52 pm

AND with Maxi 30A fuse in habitation circuit
frederic[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Sorry I've no memory which fuse melted, I was lucky no damage was done the fuse holder.
Have you done much camping off-grid?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:41 pm

No but prolonged use of the Eberspacher when using the 'van especially since we have been let out to 'go local' exacerbated the fuse holder degradation. We were running it Sunday past, when imitating the shutdown cycle, it suddenly cut out. There was no 12v to the habitation control panel. So started the engine and was able to cool the Eber. down, afterwards checked the panel and 12v was back. So thought it was a problem with the panel.
On checking the 12v habitation wiring run from the leisure battery found the semi cooked 30A fuse in holder.
Replaced the green mini 30A fuse (in block) with the large 30A fuse and holder and all seems well. Panel plays no part in Eber. cycle, but is wired to the same 30A fuse.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:57 pm

With our Duetto in recent years even after its 12V cable had been beefed up our Eberspächer heater would be a bit temperamental. From start up the fan often came on 1/2 pelt then all seemed to go quiet. I'd switch it off wait a couple of minutes then restart the thing, success was usually heralded by the clicking sound from the diesel pump. I should add that I never had it serviced though I did find a place in Ripon who at the time offered servicing. When it work it put out plenty of heat though considering its high current consumption during start up it only really made sense using it if on EHU.

I notice your relay above the leisure battery looks to be a bit free floating, though it appears there's a screw attached. On our Duetto the split charge relay should have been stuck to the side of the metal battery "box" but it had become unstuck by the time we acquired the van.

Both of us here have very fond memories of our 2003 Duetto.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:46 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:With our Duetto in recent years even after its 12V cable had been beefed up our Eberspächer heater would be a bit temperamental. From start up the fan often came on 1/2 pelt then all seemed to go quiet. I'd switch it off wait a couple of minutes then restart the thing, success was usually heralded by the clicking sound from the diesel pump. I should add that I never had it serviced though I did find a place in Ripon who at the time offered servicing. When it work it put out plenty of heat though considering its high current consumption during start up it only really made sense using it if on EHU.

I notice your relay above the leisure battery looks to be a bit free floating, though it appears there's a screw attached. On our Duetto the split charge relay should have been stuck to the side of the metal battery "box" but it had become unstuck by the time we acquired the van.

Both of us here have very fond memories of our 2003 Duetto.

When camping off grid it pays to start the engine before firing up the Eberspacher this way you avoid the high current drain on the battery once started you can turn off the engine.
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:08 pm

Yes relay/fuseblock is bolted to the box, note free turning bolt which when bolted to box side rotated when trying to undo so had to cut a slot in bolt to stop it.
And yes especially when weather is cold, its best to fire up the Eber. with the engine running until its past its glow plug startup phase (about 1-2 mins) as this boosts the voltage available as the alternator is powering the charging cct. Also if able have fitted a separate thermistor located in the habitation area as the one built in is in the return airway close to the heater which as we all know is in the coldest place possible!! Especially in the Topaz where the return air inlet is in the drivers footwell. 
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Alf likes this post

Back to top Go down