The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

98 Duetto floor

5 posters

Go down

98 Duetto floor Empty 98 Duetto floor

Post by Spoonvet Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello

there are some ridges in the carpet of my Duetto. The carpet is glued down - i think - so wondered if I can diagnose problem without lifting the carpet. Just a fw ridges here and there - my first thought was I had moved the carpet after doing a lot of work inside - removing fridge and heater etc - and it had simply ruffed up. Concern is some water leakage and delamination of underlying ply. Its never seemed damp and certainly doesn't smell damp. Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

thank you
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

98 Duetto floor Empty Re: 98 Duetto floor

Post by Achilles heel Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:46 pm

I don't think the carpet is glued in my '96 Duetto - it lifts up when I hoover it.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Spoonvet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 pm

The base vehicle floor is corrugated and van converters like A/S fit a smooth plywood floor on top of insulation. Vinyl flooring is then glued on the ply, followed by loose fit carpet. So I'm not sure where there'd be carpet that's stuck down. As a Duetto is a Transit panel van conversion, the only places water can enter are the holes in the body cut for fittings and the front and rear door openings, unless you have serious corrosion. Rubber door and window seals that are ageing can give trouble, as can curtains caught in door frames that act like wicks when it rains. One of my Transits had a rear door issue where the offside barn door didn't quite shut properly, unless slammed. You could tell when it wasn't fully closed as you could see a sliver of light between the two doors at the top and in wet weather some water came in and gathered on the worktop below it. (It wasn't a Duetto).
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Spoonvet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spoonvet Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 am

I assumed it was glued as it is tightly fitted - will investigate - cheers
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:20 pm

We didn't know it at the time but before we bought our pre-owned 1999 Duetto the water heater had been allowed to freeze causing it to leak the water from that leak got into some sort of void in the floor around the heater and there was no indication of that in the van from either damp or smell.

The heater was replaced by the dealer soon after we acquired the van and discovered the leak. A few months later rust spots started to appear around the heater flue. The dealer brought in a body work expert to investigate and he found that the side of the van was rusting from inside to out as a result of this trapped water. A large slice of the side of the van had to be cut out and replaced with new metal, the dealer did not quibble about doing this at all.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Spoonvet and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grabea Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:33 am

The carpet in our 1999 Duetto was either stuck down or the foam backing had stuck to the OSB floor liner, being loop pile there were ladders everywhere and it looked a bit of a mess. Just finished laying new carpet in the main area just got the cab area to do but need to find someone who can bind the edges in the footwells.The carpet shop recommended spray glue to secure it which is what we did and it turned out really well, we also used double sided carpet tape down the edges to avoid fraying or lifting. We bought a remnant of cut pile felt backed carpet in a grey fleck and it really lifts the interior. Additional work we had was to remove 2 wheelchair holding down points which involved a lot of work as the bolts were above the fuel tank and I didn't fancy removing that! Once removed patched in some plywood in the holes bonded in with body filler, the remaining foam backing was a right mare, ended up going over the floor with a belt sander to get a good surface to glue to, dust mask essential!!
Graham
Grabea
Grabea

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down