The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip

3 posters

Go down

VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip Empty VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip

Post by halls999 Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi,
When I purchased my 2006 topaz , the clean water drain off under the passenger door floor was hanging down attached by a broken zip tie.
How are they meant to be connected. I have found a small u shaped bracket in the van about 3 inches long and was wondering if that was the fitting but can't see how it fits.
Also noticed a 400mm by 200mm in size radiator in the same position, bolted to the floor in the same position. Just wondered if anybody knows what it is. It seems to be exposed to the elements and has already taken a couple of knocks. Looks like it should have a cover on it.
Many thanks for any advice.
Steve
halls999
halls999

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip Empty Re: VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip

Post by Roopert Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:51 pm

Steve - I've never looked at a Topaz in that much detail, but if it's like our 2005 Trooper, the convention at A/S is to use a poorly rustproofed Terry clip which is just too big to hold the pipe securely. They are generally just fixed in place with a single self-tapping screw into the outer edge of the plastic undertray. It's an unsatisfactory arrangement IMO, which often leads to the pipe dropping onto the ground while you're driving along, destroying the tap. I bought smaller plastic-coated ones, and looped a ty-rap around the "ears" of the clip to hold it better on ours.

If you have the 2.5l engine, the radiator will be the fuel cooler - an original VW part.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip Empty Re: VW Topaz 2006. Cooling radiator and drain.pip

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:47 pm

Fitting a cable tie to limit the ability for the hose and tap to drag on the ground is a sensible precaution when the supplied fitting is a terry clip that loses its tension and the ability to hold the pipe securely in place over time.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down