The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW Topaz 2006/7 help

+4
KMRTOPAZ
-mojo-
dbroada
goll
8 posters

Go down

VW Topaz 2006/7 help Empty VW Topaz 2006/7 help

Post by goll Sat May 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Hello

After following this super site for some time I have at last bought my first motorhome as above. I do not collect it until 1st June. It has no extras other than an awning and an alarm so I need to equip it for use.  
There are 2 of us , both senior citizens.

Question is what recommendations do other more seasoned Topaz owners have for kit which includes just about everything from driving aids, eating to sleeping and everything in between. Naturally with such a small vehicle and novice owner I could easily overload it with items I would never use such as levellers have been suggested

Think a similar request arose in the past but I cannot find it so sorry if I repeat.

Any Vw or topaz specific help ( 2.5 model manual ) would be greatly appreciated. I should say I am an ok DI Yer but not mechanically minded!

Many thanks

Allen ( West Sussex)

Allen (West Sussex)
goll
goll

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2006/7 help Empty Re: VW Topaz 2006/7 help

Post by dbroada Sat May 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the world of motor homing. The most important thing is to get out to use it and enjoy it.

I can't help with your particular vehicle but in my opinion, levellers are a must. The fridge will run a lot more efficiently if it is level and equally importantly, I sleep a lot better if I am level. If you know for CERTAIN that every site you visit will be level then maybe you can leave them in the shop.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat May 14, 2016 3:29 pm

It would probably be a good idea to search the internet for examples of other people's camper van packing lists, and then adapt them to suit your own preferences. Then it's also a good plan to stay for your first night away close to home, purely as a test run, so you can try everything out in real working conditions - it sounds a bit daft but spending a night "camping" on your own driveway can be a good (cost effective) way to do it, though your neighbours may think it's a bit odd...

If the van is coming from a dealer then it might be useful to have the van's diagnostic codes read as soon as you get it, as this may show up any potential problems that may be lurking that the dealer is either unaware of or does not choose to tell you about. Also, when it comes to servicing, make sure that you use someone who knows the van and, specifically, the engine. Using the wrong spec of oil, for example, can be very bad news, because camshaft wear can quickly become an issue if it's not exactly the right spec and grade.

Lastly, if you need to know anything specific about the base vehicle (as opposed to the bits that A/S added) then the UK vwt4forum is an excellent source of information (even though it has T4 in the title there is plenty of advice for T5 owners there).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun May 15, 2016 12:54 am

Allen
There are quite a few of we Topaz types who will no doubt be serving up a few tips. I'll start with just one. Space is at a premium and the biggest issue is not what to take but where to keep it. For example the levelling wedges !!
When you have arrived at a list, as advised above, just visualise the available storage and allocate accordingly.  The list will get quite short by June 1st.
It's a great vehicle. Enjoy.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 am

Hi wave

I'm sure eveybody's list will be slightly different but this thread gives some ideas:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by elvereater Sun May 15, 2016 9:12 am

Storage is at a premium with the topaz, so I would look into vacuum bags which you can activate with a small pump. We use this for items of bedding which otherwise take up quite a bit of space. Also the rear wardrobe can become a bit of a problem because it is full and you cannot find anything. So we use hanging bags for shoes. Work out what you don't really need to take and use clothes that do not require ironing or putting on hangars.
Otherwise Topaz is a great vehicle particularly camping wild.
Elvereater
elvereater
elvereater

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by loosecoverqueen Mon May 16, 2016 3:42 pm

Ignore the special camping/motorhome versions of kitchenalia - they're mostly overpriced and take up more room than they earn.
For washing up we use a microfibre drying mat instead of a folding drying rack. We also use anti-bacterial kitchen wipes. I clean plates etc with one before washing with another wrapped around the sink sponge - cleaner results, less water and detergent used, throw wipes away, rinse sponge. Maybe not "green" but easy.
For bedding we use our old nylon stuff-sacks from our camping days - it's quite physical stuffing them but no pump needed.
We mostly camp at festivals where facilities are pretty basic and food is overpriced so we take some home-cooked frozen meals and eat them in whatever order they defrost. It can be interesting! Don't forget jam, mayo and condiments.
Hope you have fun!
loosecoverqueen
loosecoverqueen

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rv50/Rimini?
Vehicle Year : 1984

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon May 16, 2016 4:43 pm

W hen I had my Topaz I made my own version of duvalays to fit the beds, use as singles, they went in the luton folded in half, I had a small washing up bowl, the Topaz has equivalent of two sinks, well mine did, handy for draining pots,  tools EHU etc under single NS seat, i think the cupboards are different in the newer ones mine was a 2002, cupboard under the sink was good although my battery was in the bottom of that.

Perhaps better to get the essentials you will need for a couple of days and then see what you need as you go along, there are so many gadgets and gismos out there, most not necessary. 

Just go and enjoy, lovely van to drive.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Thu May 19, 2016 12:31 am

Allen
Your questions have not been fully answered, so I thought a second go at it would help. The following is broadly what we carry, and where.
Overcab cupboard; (leave the large table at home); interior silver screen roll, TV face down LH side, telescope and tripod, waterproofs if dry.
Under cab seats, Off side; jack and tools, loo spares, bulb set, high viz jackets, tow rope. Near side EHU cable (split 1/3 and 2/3 lengths), water hose (3m length) walking shoes.
Under seats offside and nearside; 1" thick topper, 1 double duvet, 1 pillow. in each. (We use two singles so all those extra fill-in pieces stay at home).
Top cupboards; offside refitted, half to take crockery, half to take fruit/veg. Nearside refitted, upper 1/3 a row of mugs and glasses, lower half dry goods. 
Below cooker; grill space holds bread box, bottom cupd contains pans and foodstuffs.
Wardrobe; (small table relocated between seat and cooker); hanging clothes, hanging fabric shoe storage, small elect fan heater. 
Above wardrobe; woollens, socks, foldable clothing,  etc.    1st Aid kit.
Below washbasin; towels, loo rolls, wash bags.
Between loo and rear door, two bagged picnic chairs.
Gas cupd.; 2 x 3.9Kg propane bottles, loo chemicals, loo cleaning sprays and brush.
Bike rack; 1 bike, small storage box (contains wedges, awning accessories, etc) drive away awning.

I think that is all, but I could be wrong, and no doubt someone will point that out! Clarification provided if you need it.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

VW Topaz 2006/7 help Empty Thanks

Post by goll Thu May 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Dear Keith

Thank you for your excellent response which greatly helps our  deliberations. We have nothing included in the Topaz except an awning so such help is so useful. We need to purchase items of equipment to carefully store "china" and rising up to bedding items . I note Duvalays seem favourite if we can have space to store. Even needs front privacy screens and gas bottles so your comment on size needed was helpful. I hope to pick up some of the more expensive items second  hand ( or is it now preloved!) it is supposed to be ready for 1st June and I hope we will have essentials by then.

Many thanks again and all help/ tips appreciated.

Allen
goll
goll

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu May 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Forgive me asking, doesn`t the newer than 2002 Topaz have dedicated pot storage,? mine did complete with the AS service, plus wine glasses, the slim line cupboard at the side of the sink was handy, wine bottles etc.in the bottom, tinned stuff stored on the floor under the cooker, next to battery,  on shelf cooking pots, two kettles one for gas the other for electric.

in the high wall lockers were the tea towels, cleaning cloths dusters , a table cloth, yes I do take a table cloth, why not, have one at home, and when in MH it is my home.
In toilet two folding chairs side of loo, in cupboard above loo, toilet rolls, toilet fluid, etc. above wardrobe, sweatshirts, jumpers, etc. other clothes hanging, the guy who had it before me, was a one previous owner, cut a hole in the base of the waredrobe, so could turn on / off the gas bottles. there was a bung in the hole normally.
On the narrow shelf under high window, was a first aid bag, medicine box, and a sewing kit. under cab seats was kept clear.

It is a case of trial and error to see what suits you, as we are all different and some items are not for others.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Thu May 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Yes Daisy, they do have dedicated pots storage but we found them very badly designed and a gross waste of available space. Two cupboards are now redesigned and achieve the same storage capacity in about half the space.
Allen will also find it almost impossible to extract the small table from the back of the wardrobe when the unit is full of clothing. Hence the relocation to its original position (T4 vintage) between the cooker cupboard and the seat back.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down