The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air Suspension

+7
CroftBadger
Tinwheeler
babian
gef
IanH
Dbvwt
Sapper
11 posters

Go down

Air Suspension Empty Air Suspension

Post by Sapper Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:27 am

Morning, My new Warwick xl van is some miles away in storage and I was just wondering, as a extra levelling aid, what difference do the air suspension bags on the rear make? That is, from being fully pumped up to their max and then deflated!

Thanks.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Air Suspension Empty Re: Air Suspension

Post by Dbvwt Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 am

Are you thinking in regards to deflating when on site to achieve better levelling then pumping up again when leaving?
Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your post but personally I would avoid doing that regularly.
No scientific reason and others may say it’s fine but it just feels like it’s something best left alone if thinking of doing it on a regular basis.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:25 am

I wouldn't have a problem with partially deflating, the flexing would be no more that they would experience going over bumps on the road. I would however try to avoid going so far down that the internal stop limits had been reached

Also bear in mind that you are working the pump far more than normal if you were to do this every trip. You would need a prompt system to remind you to re-inflate before going out on the road.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:44 am

Hi, The reason I ask is, on our one and only trip out last year the pitch we were on was sloping from back to front. I ran the front wheel onto the top of my Thule triple levellers but this still wasn't enough so the fridge didn't work properly and we lost all of the weeks food we had brought with us. She who's the boss wasn't best pleased frustrating

I've now invested in a set of Milenco Quatros to give a bit more height so I would only use the suspension if it was absolutely necessary and as a last resort.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 am

The absolute minimum pressure is 1 Bar. Below that on some models, the bolt heads come in contact with the rubber bellows and damage it.
When I had mine it was permaently at 1.5Bar and it would not have entered my head to use it for levelling
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:14 am

IanH wrote:The absolute minimum pressure is 1 Bar. Below that on some models, the bolt heads come in contact with the rubber bellows and damage it.
When I had mine it was permaently at 1.5Bar and it would not have entered my head to use it for levelling

Hi, Do you find you get the best ride quality at 1.5 Bar?

Reading my hand book it states, optimum working pressure: 1.8 bar, minimum working pressure: 1.5 bar and maximum: 3.0 bar.

Would be interesting to know because I've left mine as the dealer set it which was at the top end of the green section.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:43 am

Hi sapper I run mine on 2 which i find okay need to reinflate after lockdown and before I drive off
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:14 pm

pretty well ALL Sevel vehicles are a bit nose down...if the pitch slopes from back to front we just drive in, no need for levellers or air suspension👍
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm

Like wise. BB.
Unless the views out the back doors etc. Handy built in slope as they say.
Leave air well alone I say.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm

bolero boy wrote:pretty well ALL Sevel vehicles are a bit nose down...if the pitch slopes from back to front we just drive in, no need for levellers or air suspension👍

Completely agree Chris, that’s what I do but there are many sites that insist on ‘nose in’ or ‘nose out’.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Dbvwt wrote:
bolero boy wrote:pretty well ALL Sevel vehicles are a bit nose down...if the pitch slopes from back to front we just drive in, no need for levellers or air suspension👍

Completely agree Chris, that’s what I do but there are many sites that insist on ‘nose in’ or ‘nose out’.

We always pitch with the front on any higher ground and very rarely need to use ramps.

Even CAMC have abandoned that approach, David, and it makes life simpler.allthumbz
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Someone needs to inform my favourite local site of that info smile!
I found the same at a couple of sites visited before Covid so if things have changed then all the better IMO.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Someone needs to inform my favourite local site of that info smile!
I found the same at a couple of sites visited before Covid so if things have changed then all the better IMO.

Here you go. They were printing this on the reverse of the site plans last time I used sites. Note either rear offside or front nearside positioning.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Sapper wrote:
IanH wrote:The absolute minimum pressure is 1 Bar. Below that on some models, the bolt heads come in contact with the rubber bellows and damage it.

Hi, Do you find you get the best ride quality at 1.5 Bar?

Reading my hand book it states, optimum working pressure: 1.8 bar, minimum working pressure: 1.5 bar and maximum: 3.0 bar.

Would be interesting to know because I've left mine as the dealer set it which was at the top end of the green section.
To be honest Sapper, I didn't notice any difference (Warwick Duo 2013) whatever pressure it had in it, as others have said these are all nose low  so always parked nose in if pitch sloping which most are.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by CroftBadger Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 pm

When I picked up my Warwick the chap at the dealer who did the hand over said that he always leaves his at about 1.5bar (he had a Kemerton) and that these are really suspension assists for a more comfortable ride and not for levelling the van. I don't think that the amount of travel would give you enough to level the van much (although I can't say I've measured it). You would need a proper hydraulic levelling system as on more expensive coach-built motorhomes to achieve this I guess.
CroftBadger
CroftBadger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:43 pm

If I'm at the top of my ramps and I need more, I let the air out and it makes a fair bit of difference. Been doing this 3 year's no problem so far. I've checked the bolts and there's still clearance. In fact on handover the dealer said you can run with them deflated but I wouldn't.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:41 pm

I always used the air suspension on my previous Autotrail to aid levelling with no ill effect and also do the same with the WXL

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Are we all talking about the same thing, I wonder?

The thread is entitled "Air suspension". I understand that there may be more than one type. The most common are inflatable bags, added retrospectively to assist the springs. I have those - mine are AlKo Air Tops / Air Rides.  

But there are other more expensive Air Suspension systems - which replace the springs. Whether the latter are better able to level a van than the Air Tops, I don't know. Do any of above contributors have such a system?

For myself, I don't bother: I simply park according to the lie of the land, parking front-in or out to utilise the Nuevo's nose-down attitude to render the vehicle level.  Works for me.

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting auto-correct!)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

babian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Alkco air tops on my WXL, Dulop air bags on the Autotrail

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

woodlice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:03 pm

Thanks for all the tremendous help and advice buddies and yes, I've got the Alko air bags that came with the van.

Great forum. allthumbz
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 pm

I had air bags fitted to the rear of my old Swift coachbuilt, and a compressor fitted under the drivers seat.

There will be zero issues with you deflating the bags fully while pitched up, but driving on empty bags is not advisable at all.

The compressor was great for helping us level on pitches, used the compressor  for years and years without a problem.  It's a compressor, it's designed and built to be used  allthumbz
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

woodlice and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down