The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air suspension

5 posters

Go down

Air suspension Empty Air suspension

Post by iamjustaboxer Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:21 pm

Having problems with repairing air bellows on Al-Ko and Dunlop units have been suggested as a substitute, just wondering if anyone had experience of these?
iamjustaboxer
iamjustaboxer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Air suspension Empty Re: Air suspension

Post by pootler Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 am

Hello, I've just seen this.
I had the Alko air top system replaced by A/S years ago as it had been incorrectly fitted. It failed again last year. I tried to get the bellows replaced but fitters were unable to remove the nuts. After researching as many different types of system and fitters we took the plunge and had a Top Drive system fitted by Towtal in Stoke. One day job removed Also system and refitted Top Drive system for £700. This was without a compressor as I just wanted less to go wrong. A lot of money but worth a look.
pootler
pootler

Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by iamjustaboxer Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:49 am

Hi pootler thanks for that. Bellows problem sounds same as mine. Already resigned to shelling out a fair whack, Dunlop system looks like a similar cost but will look into the Top Drive as well. Cheers, Andy
iamjustaboxer
iamjustaboxer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:02 am

iamjustaboxer wrote:Hi pootler thanks for that. Bellows problem sounds same as mine. Already resigned to shelling out a fair whack, Dunlop system looks like a similar cost but will look into the Top Drive as well. Cheers, Andy

We had the Dunlop system on our 08 Sigma without any leaks or problems, other a/s vans had Alko units ,all leaked after serval years.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

iamjustaboxer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:56 am

I think the Top Drive system is what AS fit as standard now

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

iamjustaboxer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:33 pm

Paulmold wrote:I think the Top Drive system is what AS fit as standard now
Indeed they do, and supply no instructions on how to correctly use it.  Italian web site about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I still haven't quite got my head around what the two needle valves are for, they seem to set the maximum pressure you can charge the bellows.  Pressure too high and the van bounces like a ball, pressure too low and there's danger of perforating the bellows.  

AS fitted mine too far towards the rear on the side of the passenger seat, the door frame obstructs the valve, I couldn't connect an air pump without having to buy an angled extension from Amazon. What workmanship  scratch head

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Monty-Plym
Monty-Plym
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:13 am

This is the system that we had fitted and as Monty says there were no instructions. I tried contacting the Italian company and still am really non the wiser about some of it.

Going on how the Alko system worked and what I was told at Towtal I keep the needle gauges at 2.8 to 3.0 bar, using the silver Schrader valves and either a small bike pump, when on the road or a larger bike track pump when at home. No problem there. Towtal said to keep the dials in the green which does somewhat obvious.

However I am not clear how to use the red and black knobs. Possibly they are of some use when a compressor is fitted. Any thoughts?

I have even taken to accosting other A/S van owners when on a campsite. As yet I have yet to come across anybody with this system in place. The search continues, so if you have a newer van please speak to the odd chap who wants to talk about air suspension.
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:42 am

I managed to find this little gem on the Top drive web site, I think I may have sussed out how to use the red and black handled needle valves.

"The inflation system of this type includes an "inflation and control unit" equipped with traditional inflation valves (Schrader type but made ad hoc), combined with a pair of pressure gauges and with inlet pressure limiting valves.  This system allows you to limit the inflation pressure on the individual air springs, also allowing a differentiated calibration between the right and left sides, so the user does not have to worry too much about controlling the pressure of the air springs and does not need to intervene after installation or calibration performed by the installer."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

click on the above link, click on the Italian flag and then select the UK flag and scroll down to " By type of inflation"

So basically, these are an overpressure/desired pressure regulating device, they are set by pulling out the knob handle and rotating it anticlockwise to increase the maximum pressure the compressor can inflate the bellows.  Once set, push in the knob and forget, in theory each time you connect a compressor it will only inflate to your previously set pressure. 

Why doesn't the dealer know this, and explain it at handover. think_smiley_46
Monty-Plym
Monty-Plym
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:54 am

Thanks very much for that. Very well spotted.
pootler
pootler

Back to top Go down