The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOT & Service

+4
glyne lock
Peter Brown
TeamRienza
StanRVan
8 posters

Go down

MOT & Service Empty MOT & Service

Post by StanRVan Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:45 pm

Our van has hardly moved this year - 50 miles since it's last MOT. We usually have the service and MOT done at the same time at a local garage, and a habitation check at the campervan garage. What would members recommend it needs this year? I know it will need an MOT, but how much of a service and habitation check? Thanks.
StanRVan

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

MOT & Service Empty Re: MOT & Service

Post by TeamRienza Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm

If it has only moved 50 miles and it is a 2016 vehicle then I would be inspecting the tyres very closely, particularly the sidewalls for cracking due to UV. they may also be a ‘cloudy’ grey colour due to the lack of use not pumping out the protective chemicals to the surface which happens when the wheels are turning as you drive.

My own van is a 2016 registration. It has done 37,000 total. Given that the cab could be as old as 2014 to build a 2015 model, I shall in the next few weeks be having the timing belt, water pump and any other belts replaced due to age rather than mileage.

Definitely also an oil change, despite the small mileage.

I take my van out every 2 weeks at present to run the engine. I also put some water in to use the taps, pump and toilet. Run the fridge and make a lunch to work the gas appliances. This run also helps protect the tyres.

Davy

Last edited by TeamRienza on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Improving grammar)
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm

As your garage is 'local' I would just have the MOT done at this time and then when you know you can start camping again, have the oil and oil filter changed and have them take the wheels off and check/clean the brakes. If you had a coach built I would have recommended a damp/hab check now so any remedial work could be done before you want to use the van but as it is a PVC I'd suggest you just try everything you would use when you camp and if it all works, leave well alone for this year.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks for your replies and advice.
StanRVan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:20 pm

As Peter has said just get the mot done for now
the oil and filter is best done after the vehicle has had a good run. to help explain then the old oil will wash any damp wet inside and mix in the old oil and then you will have clean fresh oil
the fuel tank for any person that did not leave it with a full tank well also have got more water from moisture in the tank so again is best to use the tank of fuel and then change the fuel filter
as for the brakes any person that has jacked up the wheels off the ground get someone to apply the brake and release to make sure each wheel spins free work the hand brake to also make sure the cables and any linkage are free before going for a run 
a habitation service is best done just before your going to use a vehicle at the start of the year and is to make sure everything is working items are in date.in some ways is more important  if the vehicle was not used last year
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Thank you Glyne.
StanRVan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 pm

As I said in an earlier post my local garage advised me to leave the service but to keep on the road and ready to use have the MOT done. The habitation check can wait because it means travelling out of area. 
I have tried to keep on the move as much as we could. Even days out in area are better than nothing. My MOT is on Monday so I think I will try and go for a local run on Sunday to help with the emissions.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:36 pm

We've not been able to use it. I don't drive it and my other half has been staying home to avoid Covid.
StanRVan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:38 am

Trying to find when the first service is due it used to be two years but I can find no reference. Any ideas
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 pm

Yes, should be every two years....unless Starship mileage....
Mine (Fiat Ducato) is just 4 years old, had 2nd service end of last week.
My 'man' reminded me that the Campbell change is due after 5 years, but a Tech Question in MMM this month (answered by Ducato Guru Nick Fisher) suggested that, while this was the schedule, all his hire vans have done many, many more miles than we (motorhomes) do and that none of theirs showed any sign of wear....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tintent116 Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:16 pm

bolero boy wrote:Yes, should be every two years....unless Starship mileage....
Mine (Fiat Ducato) is just 4 years old, had 2nd service end of last week.
My 'man' reminded me that the Campbell change is due after 5 years, but a Tech Question in MMM this month (answered by Ducato Guru Nick Fisher) suggested that, while this was the schedule, all his hire vans have done many, many more miles than we (motorhomes) do and that none of theirs showed any sign of wear....

Interestingly his advice was also that he didn't see the need to bother changing the water pump.

Both bits of "advice" were contrary to the usually quoted advice. He may be right. He might not.

I guess it depends how lucky you feel and how keen you are to defer spending a few bob for a year.

I'm not a gambler, some are.......... scratch head

Tintent116
Tintent116

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I had to move the Rienza today to clear the drive for a delivery tomorrow so I took it for a local drive round. When I got to the duel carriageway there as another motorhome in front of me. He took the same route as me finishing up at Lidl across the road from our house. 
I am obviously not the only one warming there motorhome through and using it for shopping. Both essential journeys I suppose.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben001 Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Waiting for a decent amount of rain to wash the salt off the roads before my next "essential" journey. It's possible that they have just discovered a new salt mine in Oxfordshire and are making full use of it while they can! biggrin
Ben001
Ben001

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down