The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Window Seals

5 posters

Go down

Window Seals  Empty Window Seals

Post by Mygarden Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:24 am

Does anybody know where I can buy replacement window seals for the "oval" opening side windows for a Hitop Trident 2002 . Autosleepers are unable to help!
Thanks
Mygarden
Mygarden

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Window Seals  Empty Re: Window Seals

Post by Paramedic Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:26 am

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:07 am

Hi .... I take it you mean the rubber seal between the glass and the frame, and not the actual sealing between the frame and the bodywork.
I think "Woolies" are still in existence and have a huge range of door/window rubber extrusions.   It would just be a case of comparing the profile and purchasing a length.    (Woolies is the trade name ....  not F & W Woolworth  hugegrins hugegrins
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Window Seals  Empty Window Seal

Post by Mygarden Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 am

Bob thanks for that, I will look them up. I was hoping that I could obtain a seal without having to undo a section and then find I can't find a replacement  and cause more of a leak.
Mygarden
Mygarden

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Assuming that these are double-skinned acrylic windows by ParaPress, it's fairly unusual (in my experience) for these to leak due to a failure of the rubber seal - it's much more common for them to fail at the seal between the frame and the high top itself. I would expect to see significant physical damage on the seal in order for it to leak at that point.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mygarden Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks Roopert, that is really helpful I think it would make sense if I replaced both sets of seals while sorting this problem. do you know of a supplier of these seals? 
I would add the the window seal makes a squelchy sound when being closed tight. to my mind indicating the hollow seal has water in it.
Mygarden
Mygarden

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello, may i suggest making a small cut in the existing hollow part of the seal. Scissors or some sharp implement would suffice, enough to allow water to dribble out. Then the fun part!! Open the window and use a liberal amount of vaseline to lubricate the seal. You can use silicone spray but vaseline works just the same. It makes it more pliant and likely to seal. It may work. Good luck.

Last edited by Steve&Veronique on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Emoji didn't appear to display properly)
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Mygarden wrote:do you know of a supplier of these seals? 

I only changed one of mine, and I bought the seal section from Woolies, but this is almost a decade ago now, so I can't recall which product reference. Having replaced it, I discovered quite quickly that the cause of the leak was not the seal, so I didn't even try to do the other one.

The other thing to note is that the replacement seal was very very slightly thicker than the original, which was a real pain, because that small extra thickness spread over the whole area made the window hard to shut, and you have to be really careful not to break the handles - AFAIK they are unobtainable as replacements. Once the seal had been in place for a few months it all compressed down and was Ok, but the first few times closing it were a bit worrying.

BTW - with apologies to S&V: please do not use vaseline on any rubber seal! You may get away with it on some types of synthetic rubber, but generally it will degrade the surface and cause damage to it in the longer term.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 pm

Ah, my thoughts were along the lines of the object was to make the rubber seal more pliant, sticky and therefore likely to seal against the window. Therefore avoiding the cost and inconvenience of replacement.  I accept petroleum based products (vaseline) would eventually cause the seal to break up but this would be in the much longer term by which time i suspect the van may not be in use. To be on the safe side silicone spray would be the ideal choice. We had a related issue with our Trident in that the seal has a join midway along the upper edge of the window frame just at the point where the two halves of the frame meet. To make matters worse the frame has a small hole in it, why i've no idea but i considered it may be a source of future leaks so sealed it with a dab of mastic. Hope this helps.
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Mygarden Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 am

Thanks for all advice. I now need to take a closer look to see if I can establish the exact place where the water ingress is coming from.
Mygarden
Mygarden

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mygarden Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:45 pm

I am still trying to solve the window leak in the oval window of the high top section of a Trident. I don't want to remove the seal between the window frame and the fibreglass of the height top in case the seal has been welded to fibreglass and consequently damage the fibreglass. Has anybody removed and successfully replaced one of these seals.

Window Seals  Ab83f38b-d76f-40d9-aa1f-e1493408f0e7
Mygarden
Mygarden

Male

Back to top Go down