The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Width of Duetto berths?

+7
cyclops2
petern
chalky
Paulmold
boxerman
HildaB
MrsGrey
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty Width of Duetto berths?

Post by MrsGrey Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Getting ready for collecting my Duetto allthumbz
I've read (and had thought) that mattress toppers of some kind are a good idea, if only to iron out the cracks. So, can someone who has a Duetto let me know the width of the berths, as I can imagine it could be awkward if the foam or SIM hangs over the sides. (I'll be using it with singles, not a double.) In case the width has changed over the years, it is 1999 V reg. so the slightly newer model with mauvey-grey upholstery.

I've taken on board advice not to buy lots of things in advance, but I will be using it for 3 nights, 9 days after pick-up so i have to get a bit organized here. And there will be no hook-up! Could be challenging.... scratch head
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty Duetto bed widths

Post by HildaB Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi, we have just got a 1994 Duetto been away a few times (long weekends). Going Northumberland for 2 weeks so thought we would get a memory foam topping.

Have tried 2 singles but thought there was not enough room for us. We are now going for the double. We have just got an Eggbox memory foam topping for the double bed. When in the double the size is 5'4" x 5'6".

Just been out into campervan and measured the seats. The long bench seat measures 18" wide but can be brought out more (possibly another 6") to leave a narrow gap between beds. The seat near the door is 2'1" wide. That pulls out and makes the bed with the passenger seat turned round.

Hope that this helps you some, but I would advise definitely getting a memory foam topper.
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty Re: Width of Duetto berths?

Post by MrsGrey Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks -- that's helpful. I will need singles, for me and my "girl" (daughter!) There was a thread in the accessories forum I think where what kind of topper to get has been debated and there seemed to be lobbies for both memory foam and self-inflating mattresses. I think memory foam cut to size is the way to go. up!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:01 pm

I think you should try it out before spending any money.
We don't use any mattress toppers or anything of that kidney and our beds in the Symphony are superbly comfortable.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty Width of Duetto beds

Post by HildaB Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:00 pm

I agree with Boxerman. You need to try first. We did and I have a back problem so thought memory foam would be best for us.

Happy camping.
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 pm

In principle I agree that it's better to wait and try. BUT I pick up the 'van on Monday 2nd July and on the Friday head straight back to the same part of the country to go to Latitude Festival with my daughter. (I never had a misspent youth...) broomstick So not much time to experiment and maybe buy foam -- being (ahem) in the same sort of Age Bracket as Boxerman, I am wary about risking it and I do like to be comfy! So I'll do without saucepans, but I want to sleep!

With no experience of MH-ing, I predict chaos and disaster at Latitude, but at least I'll learn snigger . Expect some last minute panicky questions on the forum...Taking earplugs BTW...
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm

I've often thought of having a mattress topper but just don't know where I could store it. These van conversions are short on storage any time so just can't see where they could go.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty width of duetto berths

Post by HildaB Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:29 am

I agree, not much storage space especially for a double topper. We will put ours in the shower room during the day and of course on the bed at night, it's a different matter if you are on a site where there are no showers. Going to use it in the next two weeks, so will let you know how we go on. up!
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 am

HildaB wrote:I agree, not much storage space especially for a double topper. We will put ours in the shower room during the day and of course on the bed at night, it's a different matter if you are on a site where there are no showers. Going to use it in the next two weeks, so will let you know how we go on. up!

Please do let us know. I don't plan to be on a site with no showers for longer than I can tolerate being dirty! So I think 2 nights is tolerable, which is what we might stick to on this occasion, or if it's 3 nights -- well, being a festival there will be unwashed masses anyway. (Loo emptying might be more of a challenge, but there must be emptying points I'd have thought!)

MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty Width of Duetto births.

Post by chalky Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi,

We have a VW Talent,and the single beds were uncomfortable, bought 2 self inflating 25cm thick sleepmats from Go Outdoors.
They were £34.99 each and have made a real difference, very comfortable.

regards

Chalky.
chalky
chalky

Auto-Sleeper Model : Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 pm

chalky wrote:Hi,

We have a VW Talent,and the single beds were uncomfortable, bought 2 self inflating 25cm thick sleepmats from Go Outdoors.
They were £34.99 each and have made a real difference, very comfortable.

regards

Chalky.

Chalky, did you mean 25 cm or 2.5? scratch head 25 seems very thick? Do you remember the brand by any chance? Thanks--
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by petern Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:28 pm

we would strongly recommend Duvalays - there are 2.5 or 4.00cm thicknesses. Incredibly comfortable and easy to use. The 2.5 is not too bulky

Peter
petern
petern

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:45 pm

petern wrote:we would strongly recommend Duvalays - there are 2.5 or 4.00cm thicknesses. Incredibly comfortable and easy to use. The 2.5 is not too bulky

Peter

I've already ordered some memory foam cut to size. It was a lot cheaper! Well never mind.. and thanks for help.
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by petern Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:47 pm

For what it is worth, the advantage of the Duvalays, set against their price, is that the duvet covers are attached so do not fall off but are much less restrictive than sleeping bags -also they can be zipped together for a double!

Anyway, hope things work out and enjoy the trip!

Peter
petern
petern

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

If the memory foam/sleeping bag combo doesn't work, I'll store the bags for other use and buy the Duvalays -- the memory foam was pretty cheap. Been trying to economise on kitting out my new Pride and Joy, but in the end might have to go the whole hog on this one -- we'll see. I aim to get the rectangular type sleeping bag, -- not so restrictive at least.
Jinny

Last edited by MrsGrey on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Width of Duetto berths? Empty Memory Foam toppers

Post by HildaB Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Just thought I would get back to you once we had tried our mattress. We have just spent two weeks away in our duetto and as I said I had bought a double egg box memory foam topper. We stored this in the shower room during the day and had a lovely nights sleep when using it, its been the best buy we have made, would not do without it.

Hope you enjoyed your festival? allthumbz
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks HildaB! Actually I have already bought some memory foam toppers for the berths, not as swish as the egg-box type I think but I'm hoping they will be OK.
The festival is next week -- watching the forecast with some apprehension -- it will be just a field and I'm sure will be very mud-prone. So I'm hoping that Monster Mats will help us get OUT! rolleyes
It feels like a real adventure -- the first trip with overnight stays for Duetto!.
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclops2 Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Not been on the forum for a couple of weeks so missed this one before. We now use memory foam toppers on single beds on our 1998 Duetto, easier for trips to the loo during the night. We had a 2" mem foam topper on our 4'6" double bed at home. After buying new mattress for home split the topper down the middle by my maths 2'3" each wide. We got rid of the back rest of offside settee. This gave us a lot more room. The berths are very comfy and during the day the mattresses are put on top of one another on offside settee. My wife fitted covers on mattresses that can be taken off to be washed. If you need an extra long bed the front passenger seat can be turned round, however I found it is a lower level than the rest of the bed and needed packing up and not as comfortable. Also we have done away with the two tables. We now use a cheap wooden folding table (about ten pounds from Poundland) which can be used inside or out
Pete
Certa Cito
cyclops2
cyclops2

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1998 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks Cyclops. That's pretty much what I've got in the end. I think we could have a levelling problem (and that's not all!) at a festival this weekend, so we may end up with my daughter and I in our sleeping bags on the double bed set-up, to minimise rolling out of bed anxiety....
Good tip about the sofa back and table up!
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

cyclops2 wrote:........ however I found it is a lower level than the rest of the bed and needed packing up and not as comfortable. ......

Pete,

There shouldn't be any difference in levels.

On ours (1998 model Duetto) the level of both bed "fill-in" pieces is adjusted by moving the seat "recline" up and down; this in turn moves the small ledge at the back of the seat up and down.

On the drivers side, before the "recline" adjustment can be made, the seat has to be dropped to its lowest level by using the two height adjusting levers at the side of the seat.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 pm

MrsGrey wrote:Thanks Cyclops. That's pretty much what I've got in the end. I think we could have a levelling problem (and that's not all!) at a festival this weekend, so we may end up with my daughter and I in our sleeping bags on the double bed set-up, to minimise rolling out of bed anxiety....
Good tip about the sofa back and table up!
Jinny

Hi Jinny,

On a different subject here …. Are you aware of the importance of levelling up for the Fridge to work ??

Sorry, just another thing for you to think about scratch head

Enjoy the Festival and don’t worry, there will be plenty of help around allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Hmmmm no I didn't know that about the fridge. The manual makes big claims that it will work if not level. OK -- no milk in the coffee. biggrin I'm trying to imagine how you level up when knee-deep in mud. Have levellers (Jumbo) and Monster Mats but am told by a MH user there last year that the mats were useless in the mud. He was parked at the end of a row and had another van slide to within 1" of the side of his. Others say there was no onsite help at all, though they SAY that this year they have farmers lined up in their tractors to help. I am cynical, because there seems to be a lot of ahem rose-tinted reporting of last year's experience by the organisers. Trying to be positive and not doing well! uncertain
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Sounds (sic smile! ) like fun …..

Coffee Mate and Mud hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi there,

I think that if you get really lucky they will cancel the event!
wave
In Lincolnshire and Yorkshire they have cancelled everything from Agricultural Shows (where almost everyone has wellies, waxed jackets and on-tap tractors!) to local Fetes (where most people walk to the event).
allthumbz
If it is "On!" then enjoy; it's a lovely feeling to lie in a warm comfy bed and hear the rain stotting off the roof; a feeling that continues right up to when the water laps over the edge of your bunk!!
lol4
Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclops2 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:54 pm

cyclops2 wrote:
........ however I found it is a lower level than the rest of the bed and needed packing up and not as comfortable

Ian (Dutto)
Been away up to the Outer Hebrides again and havent been on site. What I was talking about was to lengthen the nearside bed, the front passenger seat could be left facing the rear the bed then becomes longer but the seat is a lower level than the rest of the bed. If it can be raised please let me know. By the way the weather on the Uists and Benbecula was lovely about the only place in Scotland to be dry!!!
On a different note there is a reunion for anyone who worked on the RA Rocket Range Benbecula/South Uist. Reunion on the 24th August at the Dark Island Hotel Benbecula. Let me know if you want any details
Pete
Certa Cito
cyclops2
cyclops2

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1998 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next