The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Wheel Clamp?

+6
Gromit
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
BobK
Dbvwt
KPUK
10 posters

Go down

Road Wheel Clamp? Empty Road Wheel Clamp?

Post by KPUK Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

Hi,

New forum members here - so first off 'Hi everyone!'... wave

Does anyone use a locking (road) wheel clamp on their camper van (we're getting a Symbol Plus)?

If so, any recommendations of make/ model appreciated.

We're looking at a Bulldog Auto Clamp Large - DC400, which should fit: wheel diam. 580mm - 740mm/ tyre width 190-255mm incl. trim.

(It's not clear whether this will be large enough for the Symbol Plus, which we believe has 255/75R16 tyres * - so it's sounding a bit too tight?).  
[* Edit: Correction, this should read 225/75R16 tyres].

We also intend using a Disklok on the steering wheel.

Any 'lessons learned'/ other comments in respect of using these security features appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Phil and Karen

Last edited by KPUK on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Road Wheel Clamp? Empty Re: Road Wheel Clamp?

Post by Dbvwt Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am

This is what I use (although in reality not as much as perhaps I should use it!).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:16 am

Hello, welcome to the forum.     My advice would be to pause and think this through before making any decision.    Is your new van going to be store in soome remote facility.     You will shortly get plenty of pros and cons from other members but on a personal note, and I stress personal, I wouldn't bother with either.  

Enjoy your new van.      Bob up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

rgermain, IanH and KPUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Bob,

Cheers!

Additional information - It will be stored on the driveway outside our house (on an estate, but not overlooked - no street lighting).

Phil and Karen
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:30 am

Stored on my drive directly under a street lamp, on housing estate but visible from passing road.. Pedal clamp, Milenco steering lock and Milenco Compact wheel clamp, driveway alarm (sensor in van, sounder in house), Cobra alarm. When on tour we take the steering lock and pedal clamp with us.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 am

Are you sure about the tyre size, seems a bit wide to me. It won't fit the clamp you quote. (789mm o/a dia)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:31 am

I agree with Peter. I just checked on etyres and that size is not available so I'm guessing you mean 225/75x16 .

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Are you sure about the tyre size, seems a bit wide to me. It won't fit the clamp you quote. (789mm o/a dia)

Hi Peter (and Paul),

Ah, good point, well made.  A simple transcribing error I'm afraid - an occasional foible of mine (and one of the - many - reasons why you should never trust me if I tell you the safe operating temperature of a nuclear reactor).

Original post edited to add the correct figures...

scratch head

Phil

Last edited by KPUK on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:50 pm

It depends on what you perceive as your risks locally as to how much you do to protect the van. After all that is why you insure the van and your premium will factor in those local risk factors.

Modern vehicles are far harder to steal without the key/fob and anyone with the wherewithal to overcome that will almost certainly have the ability to defeat a road wheel lock. The 1st thing to consider where you have the keys stored as a significant cause of break-ins are to get the keys of the expensive car on the drive.

A full cover steering wheel lock has several benefits. 1, its visible. Shows you take security seriously and may have other covert devices. 2, harder to defeat than simple bar type where a bolt cutter on the wheel itself can get them off. 3, you stay dry and clean to fit it. If not on ramps turn the wheels to the next steering lock position off centre, makes it harder to drag the vehicle onto a low loader.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:06 pm

What Hairy said.

The Disklok and an alarm system (The Growler/Strikeback is very expensive, but very good) is all we use.

As Hairy so rightly said, if the professionals want your van, they will have it - period. Otherwise you take whatever measures make you feel secure against opportunist thieves, and a lot depends on your locality.

Alarm. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Nice campsite if you need to stay overnight for fitting.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:40 pm

This is such a personal thing, no right or wrong, some will know I posted this 100% true story here before.
Our nephew had a new swift pvc, disklok, steering lock, tracker and he was in bed directly above the van in his front gravelled drive in Reading, he even had a video camera.
A group of thieves came during the night, lifted the van on to a roller system, pushed it out on to a low loader, winched it on and drove away with it . Everything captured on video. The tracker was found in the hedge a few miles away and the van never seen again.
As Gromit says if they want it the professionals will have it. The casual thief may be a different story, it is how you equate that balance in your own mind.
Personally our van is only locked on the keys, not even the alarm, we do live in a very low crime area though and if someone is going to get in to our grounds to break in to the van to steal something then I would rather suffer as little damage as possible. If anyone manages to steal the whole thing they deserve it if they can get past the iron gates and other security features on the driveway! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Dbvwt and KPUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:32 pm

In your circumstance, I'd use a wheel clamp at home. Doesn't matter much which make as long as it fits.

It wouldn't enter my head to take it away in the van for holidays etc (what the van's for!) it'll be a royal pain to stow, guaranteed to rattle, very heavy.

Disklok is best IMHO
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 pm

I have always been a belt and braces type so do have a Disklok on the Steering wheel, a Nemesis wheel lock which I have added extensions on the claws which fit inside of the Alloys and on top of all that it has a factory fitted Outsmart alarm.
It sits behind bolted and locked gates as well, see belt and braces. oh of course I have self fitted hidden trackers with suitable signs on the windows.
Well it did cost more than I paid for my first 3 houses.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 am

With a new van of that value I wouldn’t mess about with locks that can be easily overcome, get it booked in with Eddie at Vanbitz for a Growler or Strikeback plus (my option). 
With their added ‘non start’ immobiliser, I’ve never felt uncomfortable leaving my pride and joy in some fairly remote spots while I’m off sea kayaking or climbing for the day.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:26 am

We’d like to thank everyone who took the time to share advice and experiences - all duly noted and very welcome!  

allthumbz

We’ll be looking to take reasonable precautions - without going nuts, or fixating on what could go wrong - the vehicle is being fitted with an alarm from new and we’ll be using both a steering wheel lock and wheel clamp (at least when it’s parked up here), plus we have a home CCTV system and security lights.  

At the same time we’re pragmatic people so will remain realistic about the limitations of these security measures.

Hopefully they'll never be needed...

Phil and Karen
KPUK
KPUK

Female

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down