The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIFTING AN ELECTRIC BIKE

5 posters

Go down

LIFTING AN ELECTRIC BIKE Empty LIFTING AN ELECTRIC BIKE

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:41 pm

I found it impossible to lift my 23Kg electric bike onto the Thule rack fitted to my Warwick Duo.  The solution shown here is offered to the several people who have expressed  difficulties in previous posts. It is essentially a 6ftx1"  removable aluminium tube and a four part pulley system.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
The Thule rack came with a long arm clamp and a short arm clamp.  The long clamp can be seen here holding the upper part of the "boom".  The short clamp is just visible placed to fasten to the seat post when the bike is lifted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This photo shows the bike almost at the top of the lift. It illustrates the harness which is designed for this bike but would need to be tailor made for a different bike.  It needs careful fettling to ensure the bike hangs evenly.

The lifting tackle is essentially a four part pully system. The theoretical explanation is that you have a four part mechanical advantage.  You pull the effort rope four feet and the bike rises one foot,  but the  effort you apply is only one fourth of the mass of the bike.  In the real world, friction makes that less favourable, but I am able to apply enough downforce to raise the bike using only one hand. The other hand is free to guide the bike into position.

I purchased one four sheave pulley, (bottom pulley) and one four sheave pulley with jammer and becket (top) plus a length of 8mm rope five times the length of the lift (plus an extra two metres for the harness).and a snap shackle for easy hitching of the harness shown above.  All available from Dinghy Shack, an online chandler who specializes in dinghy (lightweight) gear.

This photo of the upper pulley shows the effort rope through the jammer.  It is strongly recommended that you use this type of pulley as it means it will hold the bike suspended when you let go of the rope.  You need to let go to reach up for another pull. 

In my arrangement, the long clamp is now opened and swung out of the way and the bike pushed upright to engage the short clamp on the seat post.  After removing the two harness ropes, the aluminium boom can be lifted out complete with the pulley system, and stowed.

It takes about five minutes to load and a little less to unload.  The key consideration is that I couldn't do it any other way without help.
I'm willing to expand on any point if required.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

dotsontour, Tinwheeler, IanH, Bilbobaggins and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

LIFTING AN ELECTRIC BIKE Empty Re: LIFTING AN ELECTRIC BIKE

Post by Guest Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:58 pm

over ten years ago, i met a lovely elderly couple who were keen cyclists and he used a rack like this one
which lowered to an easy lifting height and then just glided up as he attached his drill to the winding mechanism....terrific bit of kit but more expensive than Keiths block and tackle....but far prettier too.
sorry Keith.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Our van swing means we only have to lift them up about 2ft.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:21 pm

J and P That's interesting.  Would you explain what a van swing is please.
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:27 am

Link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] clever bit is you just pull out a pin and can open the rear doors 

LIFTING AN ELECTRIC BIKE Uxp9UTI
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:17 am

bolero boy wrote:over ten years ago, i met a lovely elderly couple who were keen cyclists and he used a rack like this one
which lowered to an easy lifting height and then just glided up as he attached his drill to the winding mechanism....terrific bit of kit but more expensive than Keiths block and tackle....but far prettier too.
sorry Keith.
Wish I had seen that model before I bought our bike rack + lighting board + having electrics extended. I think it would have worked out a lot cheaper.

Mind you saying that, bikes, rack and board have been in the shed for last 12 -18 months collecting dust, just another thing I really didn't need to waste my pensions on scratch head

Anyway thanks for the post, should be of help to some and I know a lot less extra weight than a swing out type, allowing me, when able, to bring back loads of French wine again one day smile!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am

Looking at your picture again, not sure it would fit on Boxer door.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 am

Just an example of the type, Richard. im sure Fiamma make most of their racks in various sizes.allthumbz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:43 am

Richard

Latest, to us Duo came with one, see pic, we thought we'd use it, but we couldn't get the bikes easily up there either! Sold it on ebay!!!! BTW superb device for banging your head on, never fails!![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 pm

IanH wrote:Richard

Latest, to us Duo came with one, see pic, we thought we'd use it, but we couldn't get the bikes easily up there either! Sold it on ebay!!!! BTW superb device for banging your head on, never fails!![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yes I rather rushed into it, thinking we were young again, having a dog does not help, as only one can ride at once.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:24 pm

Richard

Purely out of interest, but how did you teach your dog to ride a bike?

hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Bilbobaggins and Tigger-tim like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 pm

I had one of the lifting Fiamma racks (shown in rgrmain's photo, 5 posts above this) fitted to my Nuevo as new. Works well, using a cheap drill. Takes our two heavy Kildermoes [Danish] sit-up-and-beg pushbikes without problem. Lifts the bikes such that all rear lights are not obstructed. I can lift bikes on to the lowered racks (about a foot off the ground) but couldn't manage much higher these days.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down