The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work!

+3
Gromit
Paulmold
PitStopCrew
7 posters

Go down

Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work! Empty Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work!

Post by PitStopCrew Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:34 pm

AS 2018 Kingham - Just back from a week on the IOW (very pleasant too) and have noticed that it’s a real effort to lift the bed which I can only deduce is because the gas lift struts (one of each side of the bed at the mid-point) might have failed.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I’m thinking of making a strut (similar principal to the strut that holds a bonnet up on a vehicle) or updating the gas struts and replacing them as the bed +mattress is pretty hefty!  Has anyone else uprated their gas struts - any pointers on where to source them?  Or is this a warrantee job?  Thanks all
PitStopCrew
PitStopCrew

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work! Empty Re: Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work!

Post by Paulmold Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Our Duo was built with the car bonnet rod, so I put gas struts on myself. They come in varying lengths and strengths. Usually the strength in Newtons is marked on them. I can't remember what strength I got but you would probably need stronger ones for a Kinham bed. Cheapest are from China via eBay or Amazon, UK sourced ones are at least double the price.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work! Empty Re: Kingham - bed gas lift struts - don’t work!

Post by PitStopCrew Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks Paul, will start researching....  There’s no rush as the Mrs is quite good at holding the whole thing up while I load/unload all the campsite stuff from under the bed!  :-)
PitStopCrew
PitStopCrew

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:Our Duo was built with the car bonnet rod, so I put gas struts on myself. They come in varying lengths and strengths. Usually the strength in Newtons is marked on them. I can't remember what strength I got but you would probably need stronger ones for a Kinham bed. Cheapest are from China via eBay or Amazon, UK sourced ones are at least double the price.
I'd pay double, having had two of the cheapie Chinese ones fail within a couple of years.

It's not a job you want to be doing too often, and it's a pain if they give up at the start of a holiday.

I would suggest you make a car bonnet prop anyway and leave it loose in the bed box. Then if you do have a strut failure you can firtle in there without supporting the bed on your head!!  rolleyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Gromit wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Our Duo was built with the car bonnet rod, so I put gas struts on myself. They come in varying lengths and strengths. Usually the strength in Newtons is marked on them. I can't remember what strength I got but you would probably need stronger ones for a Kinham bed. Cheapest are from China via eBay or Amazon, UK sourced ones are at least double the price.
I'd pay double, having had two of the cheapie Chinese ones fail within a couple of years.

It's not a job you want to be doing too often, and it's a pain if they give up at the start of a holiday.

I would suggest you make a car bonnet prop anyway and leave it loose in the bed box. Then if you do have a strut failure you can firtle in there without supporting the bed on your head!!  rolleyes

Where are they double price ones made? hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Smithee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:19 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Gromit wrote:

Where are they double price ones made? hugegrins
I'll take a guess -  China !!!..

Perhaps I should have said, if you're not in a hurry get them from China but if you want them quick then China-made ones can be got from UK for double the price

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

rgermain and Smithee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronboyracer Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:04 am

Hi , yes the bed is quite heavy , if it's lifted with anything on top as well as bedding , it won't hold , it's a wise idea to have a back up , which is easy enough .cheers Ron
Ronboyracer
Ronboyracer

Male

Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:25 am

Try SGS based in Derby.
They offer either to refurbish your existing strutts and increase their lift if wanted of sell you new.
I used them to do the struts holding the rear door on a T5 VW really good.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

PitStopCrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Heanorboy wrote:Try SGS based in Derby.

I would also recommend SGS - I've had excellent after-sales service from them in the past.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

PitStopCrew likes this post

Back to top Go down