The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

+10
IanH
Quilter
AutoSleepy_Don
Achilles heel
Gromit
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
burlingtonboaby
FreelanderUK
Brackjo
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:31 pm

I have just ordered this collapsible watering can that doubles as a bucket also 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

Post by IanH Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:00 pm

If it hasn't already got one, fit a solar panel and controller over the winter
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Re hoses. Everyone has their own ideas about these and within a few months you’ll be as dogmatic as everyone else.

We find a short length and a longer length best and the connectors to join them together should you need. No need then to get a great roll out when you’re just beside the tap.  We’ve gone through every type of hose and currently have a couple of the X hose type. 

You’ll find a standard tap adaptor ( or two) handy as well as a note to put on your steering wheel to remind you to collect it when you have finished using it. You’ll soon pick up a collection of more unusual connectors and adaptors for use on non- standard taps as often found in Europe. 

If you have a refillable gas cylinder or underslung tank then a pair of stout leather gardening gloves stop you freezing yourself when filling up.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:48 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:I have just ordered this collapsible watering can that doubles as a bucket also 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks Freelander UK
Taken your lead on this one and have also ordered
Regards
Brackjo  up!
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:50 pm

IanH wrote:If it hasn't already got one, fit a solar panel and controller over the winter
Hi IanH
I think I'm fortunate on this one as it has an 80w solar panel as stand. Not overly powerful however I suspect it will have been sized to be fit for purpose
Thanks for the post

Kind regards
Brackjo  smile!
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Quilter wrote:Re hoses. Everyone has their own ideas about these and within a few months you’ll be as dogmatic as everyone else.

We find a short length and a longer length best and the connectors to join them together should you need. No need then to get a great roll out when you’re just beside the tap.  We’ve gone through every type of hose and currently have a couple of the X hose type. 

You’ll find a standard tap adaptor ( or two) handy as well as a note to put on your steering wheel to remind you to collect it when you have finished using it. You’ll soon pick up a collection of more unusual connectors and adaptors for use on non- standard taps as often found in Europe. 

If you have a refillable gas cylinder or underslung tank then a pair of stout leather gardening gloves stop you freezing yourself when filling up.

Thanks Quilter,

Good idea.
I wondered if you or others had a view on the Whale water master. The van has a whale socket and it looks like you can just run out the hose and connect to the local tap.
Have you had any experience of these, or heard how people feel about them. I know they are a little pricey but if i look beyond that are they good, easy and reliable?

On another matter how much water should I travel with in the main water tank. Do I fill the tank or does it make more sense to put in an emergency amount only and wait until I get to the site and fill there to save the fuel costs of transportation?  think_smiley_46

Regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Brackjo wrote:

I wondered if you or others had a view on the Whale water master. 

On another matter how much water should I travel with in the main water tank. Do I fill the tank or does it make more sense to put in an emergency amount only and wait until I get to the site and fill there to save the fuel costs of transportation?  think_smiley_46

You'll find as many opinions on Whale and similar systems as there are views on hose types !

WE like ours; it means we can set the hose going while we get on with other jobs and we don't have to keep running in and out, with muddy shoes, to check water levels as it switches off automatically when the set level is reached. We don't leave it connected to the mains when we are on a serviced pitch however. It's easy enough to top up when away from the tap using the pump from a bucket rather than use a watering can and having to hold up the can.

That said, we have had no problems with it in 5 years of intensive use but, if it does go, then we have no convenient alternative to fill the tank ( ie via bucket or watering can ) Many people have the " old" alternative hole in the wall system fitted as well. We have dithered over this but it would take up space in the locker.

Where we are going to dictates how much water we carry in the tank. If we are travelling round then we cannot always rely on the site or aire to provide water when we want it so best to go with plenty for a day or two anyway. If we are going to an organised site then we will probably not fill up to the brim and rely on getting some when we get there. We tend to empty waste and fill with clean water as we leave a site to go to the next one and have not noticed any change to mpg. If you are close to your maximum permitted weight then travelling empty can save you 100 kg or thereabouts so worth remembering.  If you are going to Europe in winter then many aires and some sites switch off water in winter so you need to go prepared.  We don't drink the tank water and carry drinking water- same water- in 2/4 litre polythene milk bottles and make sure they are full before we move.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Quilter wrote:
Brackjo wrote:

I wondered if you or others had a view on the Whale water master. 

You'll find as many opinions on Whale and similar systems as there are views on hose types !

WE like ours; it means we can set the hose going while we get on with other jobs and we don't have to keep running in and out, with muddy shoes, to check water levels as it switches off automatically when the set level is reached. We don't leave it connected to the mains when we are on a serviced pitch however. It's easy enough to top up when away from the tap using the pump from a bucket rather than use a watering can and having to hold up the can.

That said, we have had no problems with it in 5 years of intensive use but, if it does go, then we have no convenient alternative to fill the tank ( ie via bucket or watering can ) Many people have the " old" alternative hole in the wall system fitted as well. We have dithered over this but it would take up space in the locker.

Where we are going to dictates how much water we carry in the tank. If we are travelling round then we cannot always rely on the site or aire to provide water when we want it so best to go with plenty for a day or two anyway. If we are going to an organised site then we will probably not fill up to the brim and rely on getting some when we get there. We tend to empty waste and fill with clean water as we leave a site to go to the next one and have not noticed any change to mpg. If you are close to your maximum permitted weight then travelling empty can save you 100 kg or thereabouts so worth remembering.  If you are going to Europe in winter then many aires and some sites switch off water in winter so you need to go prepared.  We don't drink the tank water and carry drinking water- same water- in 2/4 litre polythene milk bottles and make sure they are full before we move.

Many thanks Quilter,

Some really good insight and I guess it very much each to their own. ie Technology if you want it, or simply fill the tank manually with a hose or bucket  timer
I'm finding my way around the forum and there seems to be loads on the Whale systems, so thats also provided loads of perspective.

To be honest the biggest issue I have currently is the supplier of my van is not very forthcoming with what is included, and they just drip feed me information. Some people seem to get both a Whale watermaster and whale pump you drop into a container with the van!!! 
I know I'm getting a 25m EHU so hope I get something for the water side, but if I don't then I know what to go and buy  studying

Many thanks
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:52 pm

If you were actively doing a period of touring say from one location to another, obviously your tank would have water from your last fill point. I think you have answered your last question relating to 'cost of transporting' weight you don't need as 1 litre of water is 1 kg. We travel with an empty tank but take a 5 litre container for drinking water. You will find everybody has their own preference that works best for them. However, I recall some mention of grey water tank empty, fresh water best full so as not to have water slopping about but don't know how valid that is. Good luck and enjoy your new van.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:11 pm

Consider the cost of transporting a few litres of water compared to the cost of buying the van and it sort of focuses the mind. 

I prefer the convenience of having my fresh tank fairly full when on the road. Besides, do we really want to be dumping perfectly usable fresh water down the drain before each journey?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Dear Paramedic and Tinwheeler,

Thanks for your comments they are very much appreciated. 
I really think our first outing is going to be informative and exciting.
Hopefully we’ve done enough prep to ensure it’s going to be a good 3 nights.
Going to Beadnell Bay which is close to places we’ve been on day trips and love the area, so should have a great time.
Cheers 
Brackjo  up!
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:15 pm

It’s good to see someone approaching motorhoming with so much thought, Brackjo. 

Remember that with most things it’s a matter of personal choice rather than the right or wrong way to do it.

Good luck on your maiden voyage.

Last edited by Tinwheeler on Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Enjoy your trip and I hope all goes well for you and the sun shines.

( Have you got a torch ? Always handy as most campsites are very dark at night and it's then that you run out of drinking water or the loo fills up. My OH finds a head torch useful )
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks both we will have a great time and can't wait to get off. 
Yes we have a torch and as an emergency backup also in our phones which have one built in.

Best regards,
Brackjo

PS. I'll let you all know how we get on and anything which maybe useful for others in way of learnings
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:32 pm

your new van will have mini blade fuses and some spares but the lovely sargent electrics will have normal blade fuses so is best to get some spares.
most people have a container in the camper for drinking water. the tank is best full or empty to stop the movement of the water with a part filled tank as the tanks don't have any baffle plates inside 
my last camper had a check list before you drive off on the sun visor
as for the solar panel best read other post on this forum and this will help a lot as whats fitted is great for the sales man to help sale the van but the system fitted needs some mods as people that have found out
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:23 am

You'll need one of these soon! Best just get in it, make it go and enjoy, after all that's what its for! Hope all goes well and enjoy new toy!

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. - Page 2 Debon-c300-pair
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

AutoSleepy_Don likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 pm

glyne lock wrote:your new van will have mini blade fuses and some spares but the lovely sargent electrics will have normal blade fuses so is best to get some spares.
most people have a container in the camper for drinking water. the tank is best full or empty to stop the movement of the water with a part filled tank as the tanks don't have any baffle plates inside 
my last camper had a check list before you drive off on the sun visor
as for the solar panel best read other post on this forum and this will help a lot as whats fitted is great for the sales man to help sale the van but the system fitted needs some mods as people that have found out

Thanks Glyne
Getting the van Wednesday so will check out the fuse situation. 
Also thanks for the heads up on the solar panels  smile!

Cheers
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:29 pm

IanH wrote:You'll need one of these soon! Best just get in it, make it go and enjoy, after all that's what its for! Hope all goes well and enjoy new toy!

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. - Page 2 Debon-c300-pair

Hi IanH,

You're right. Thats it now. We are going and will learn from the experience!!!  lol4
Thanks for the message

Regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by superkendo Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Still working out what we need in our Fairford, on every outing. Do a thorough check and get a handover briefing when you pick it up, hopefully by one of the service team who should know most of the gripes you will encounter with a new van. Also keep your Auto sleeper owners forum password handy as you will definitely find help for any problem here. Happy Travels.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:40 pm

superkendo wrote:Still working out what we need in our Fairford, on every outing. Do a thorough check and get a handover briefing when you pick it up, hopefully by one of the service team who should know most of the gripes you will encounter with a new van. Also keep your Auto sleeper owners forum password handy as you will definitely find help for any problem here. Happy Travels.

Thanks Superkendo

Nice to hear from someone else with a Fairford still establishing what’s required.
Some great advise for the handover and I’ll see if I can swing that, although I suspect it will just be the person who sold me the van.

I have the forum on my iPhone so this will always be close at hand.
Members have been brilliant and really helped me so much to date.

Best regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

superkendo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by superkendo Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:53 pm

We have had the van since February but due to covid have had only 4 trips away. We have changed things around after every trip, and hopefully now have it sorted. The beauty of having the Fairford on the drive is that we can spend a day or so packing what we need for each trip and not having lockers full of everything just in case.

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. - Page 2 Empty Fridge

Post by ClarkeM Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:42 am

Check your fridge we have had nothing but problems with ours, The dealer keeps repairing it instead of just replacing it OK now fingers crossed and if your Sargent ec700 control panel stops working (we are on our second) you will have no power to the inside of the vehicle you can ring the help line but be patient they have limited opening times like 09.00 till 16.00 Monday to Thursday  shut 12.00 Friday and not open at weekends or bank holidays the time when most of us go away here is a quick fix our dealer did not know about it.
1 Turn on engine 
2 Press and hold left awning light switch for 40 secs
3 Awning lights will light up
4 You now have 12V to the vehicle 
5 Turn off engine and connect to mains if you wish for 230v
That's what they told us at Sargent and it worked, thank God as we were away . smile!
ClarkeM
ClarkeM

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Mark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi ClarkeM 

Great share and I'll write that 1-5 in my van black book  smile!

On the Fridge front we have a Thetford 4000N and I had this dealer replaced due to it failing to work from purchasing the van new. No issues touch wood since September, although owners with this fridge will likely know they are extremely sensitive. You must ideally ensure end to end / side to side is level within 2 degrees. The guidance suggests 2.5 but that's right on the limit for mine.

I use ramps most places, get a good level and no issues since  allthumbz

Cheers 
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2