The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

+10
IanH
Quilter
AutoSleepy_Don
Achilles heel
Gromit
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
burlingtonboaby
FreelanderUK
Brackjo
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. Empty Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 am

Dear All,

I'm back and nearly on the runway ready for take off... Sorry I'm in a Van and getting carried away.
Van is paid and to be collected next week.  hugegrins

Very excited and now considering the more practical things I still need to sort before the off, like ensuring:-

Sort Auto-sleeper tracker (in progress)
Diesel & LPG tank fill up at Shell garage

Get on hookup as soon as possible for batteries etc
Fridge on with electric hookup mains
Fit Mifi SIM card and check (Have sim card)
Check air suspension pressures 2.5bar recommended by a number of posts
Prep toilet ready for use ...Nice
Check tyre pressures (hopefully done before van handover)
Check engine essentials (should be fine but check anyway) 
Check Truma boiler works / cooker etc (Not sure if this is both gas & electric?)
Sort out cadac gas connection for van quick release (attach to gas hose ready for use) - Very important if the weather is ok  cold BBQ
Fit camping club stickers to windscreen
Water - what are the essential levels for travelling (do I part fill for weight ?) 
Make sure happy with controls panel operation (seen a vid so should be fine on this)
Do I need traction mats (I'm on a grass plot for first outing)
Do I need a windscreen cover to keep heat in for trip and when in storage, no idea if there is a bespoked one for the fairford
Do I need a windbreak - Gilly says we should if not for the van for the beach  cold
Keep insurance copy and breakdown docs in the van
Make sure site booking info is onboard, we are onboard and have some cash!!
& Obviously all Gilly's stuff - The pink jobs!! (Clothes, Pans, bedding etc etc)- PS not at all sexiest we just like certain jobs and they tend to be tradition Blue and Pink so it works well.

I'm sure there is loads more I need to think about, but I'm just wanting to make sure our first experience is a good one; and as long as nothing essential is forgotten we can learn what we need extra for the next outing.
Finally I hope the van drives OK...That will be the next challenge  twiddle_thumbs 

Anyway all you valued experienced members, if you spot an key issues or things I should definitely consider as an extra focus feel free laugh and to shout out what I'm doing wrong. 

Fortunately I've a few days and the Bank Holiday to sort the last minute bits you all flag

Cheers in advance 
Brackjo  smile!
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. Empty Re: Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Wine, beer ,glasses and a cork screw but most of all enjoy😀😀

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. Empty Re: Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO..

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks Chris 

Great advise and will be part of priority packing!!

Cheers 
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Hope you get some decent weather ,it's crap here on the east coast, still plenty of trippers in the local sites..
Enjoy your new van.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Don’t forget to top up the AdBlue as well as diesel and gas....rolleyes

Good luck.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Before you rush off anywhere, I'd suggest if possible you spend one or two nights in the van on your drive. That way, you can check if you have everything you need on board and if not, you haven't far to go to get it. Also this will give you the chance to test and familiarise yourself with all the built-in systems, again with the option of not having far to go if there is any major problem.

In terms of what extra bits & bobs you may need, I'd suggest wait until you've done a trip or three before deciding - my garage shelves contain loads of things I bought thinking I couldn't do without them and which I no longer bother to carry.

For grass pitches, traction mats are certainly a good idea - I have a set which also lock in the Fiamma Jumbo levellers where those are also needed but everyone on here has their favourites:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

AutoSleepy_Don likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Couldn't have put it better Roger.  up!

It's so easy to overlook the glaringly obvious, like forgetting the duvets for example.
I'm not joking either (I get into trouble if I do!  rolleyes)

It happened to a member on here a while ago, and it was the middle of winter. A practical run through all aspects on the front drive is a very sensible suggestion.

Dave

P.S. Except that I would advise Milenco Triples rather than the Fiamma levellers. I've had both, and in my opinion the Milenco ones are considerably better.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:59 pm

We have a packing list for the van. We tick stuff off as it goes in. 

But still, there's a spot a few miles from home where I always say "I wonder what we've forgotten...?"
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 pm

I think spending a night in the van on your drive is a good idea. Just one should do it. Learn how everything works in a safe environment,

I don't think you need be over concerned about Adblue unless you are going over a 1,000 miles. (I think you have a Peugeot, Fiat don't use Adblue)
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:26 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:I think spending a night in the van on your drive is a good idea. Just one should do it. Learn how everything works in a safe environment,

I don't think you need be over concerned about Adblue unless you are going over a 1,000 miles. (I think you have a Peugeot, Fiat don't use Adblue)
Oh, yes, they do! 

My thread in the dealers section re Marquis explains why I mentioned AdBlue.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
AutoSleepy_Don wrote:I think spending a night in the van on your drive is a good idea. Just one should do it. Learn how everything works in a safe environment,

Oh, yes, they do! 
Oh no they don't.   hugegrins

There is a clear 1,500 mile warning. No warning means they can cover at least 1,500 miles before running out. Enough things to worry about on a first trip without the irrelevant.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:33 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:

Oh, yes, they do! 

There is a clear 1,500 mile warning. No warning means they can cover at least 1,500 miles before running out.

But if it’s not topped up at the factory or at the dealership during the PDI, you’re in trouble. That’s what happened to us. Hence my comment to Brackjo.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:41 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:
Oh, yes, they do! 

There is a clear 1,500 mile warning. No warning means they can cover at least 1,500 miles before running out.

But if it’s not topped up at the factory or at the dealership during the PDI, you’re in trouble. That’s what happened to us. Hence my comment to Brackjo.
I calculate my van was supplied with Adblue at 50%. I doubt any new van will be filled to 100%. It is nothing to worry about on your first trip.

My van has done 20,000 miles and it has never been full of Adblue.
There is a clear warning when you are down to 1,500 miles of Adblue.
I wait for the 1,500 mile warning message to come up then I stick 10 litres in (available at any filling station).
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:49 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:
AutoSleepy_Don wrote:

I calculate my van was supplied with Adblue at 50%. I doubt any new van will be filled to 100%. It is nothing to worry about on your first trip.

My van has done 20,000 miles and it has never been full of Adblue.
I wait for the 1,500 mile warning message to come up then I stick 10 litres in.

It was certainly something for us to worry about! Check out my story. The Fiat arrangement for warnings seems to work differently from Peugeot  shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

ClarkeM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Dear All,

Firstly big thanks to burlingtonboady, Tinwheeler, Roger, Gromit, Achilles Heel and Auto Sleepy Don. 
Some really excellent suggestions and specifically camping at home. We could perhaps get a night in on the drive before we trek off the very next day. I really should have thought of this before  scratch head We are booked for Thursday night at Beadnall Bay and get the Van Wednesday morning, so little opportunity but at least we'd have the mattresses!!

Thanks for ideas on the 'must haves', traction mats and wishes of a good time. I've added Adblue to my check list. It looks cheap enough so if the dealership haven't filled up I think I'll just do it anyway. Got to get fuel and gas etc and I think they sell Adblue on most forecourts.

PS. Going to put the TV in just in case the weather isn't good noting Boady's comment

Very best regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Stop the press - Gilly has just come in saying her friend at work has a campervan and they have wheel clamps and steering clamps fitted etc and suggested vans goes missing all the time!!

Should I be going out and getting these sharpish and if so what is the the best for my van. Would appreciate thoughts on this as clearly as much as its insured I'm also happy to take further precautions if thats considered the right move.

Regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:17 pm

The TV will likely need a wall bracket....

A steering wheel lock/clamp is, I think, a good idea but, in my opinion, a road wheel clamp will be a pain and they are quite easy to cut off as has been demonstrated by the determined few.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks Tinwheeler

Really appreciate the quick feedback. Is there a make that is thought to be the best for our type of van.
I guess it’s a good visual deterrent unless someone is really intent on taking it.

With the TV I’m going free standing for the sideboard as it will only be out occasionally.

Cheers Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:30 pm

The Disklok [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is considered about the best, and if you go for the yellow version it has the advantage of being highly visible.

It is a lump (good thing for added security!) and at first it seems quite cumbersome, but after a couple of attempts you realise it's actually quite easy to use once you have the knack. It can also be installed without the use of the key - which is also good so long as you don't lose it.  oh_blast!

Hide one of the spares in the van somewhere, just in case.

Dave

Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. RHDSMLYELLDSK_6   Preparing for the Off - Fairford Plus is GO.. RHDSMLYELLDSK_5
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Brilliant Dave.
I think I’m going to get one just for a little further price of mind.
Many thanks for the swift response.

Cheers
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi

Does anyone have an idea whether it’s a small or large for a Fairford Plus ?
Kind regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:14 pm

The size of the steering wheel dictates the size of the disklok, the WXL is 38.5CM so needs a medium and everywhere I have tried have no stock☹

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi Chris

Not good news but at least I know what size I need when one can be tracked down.
The reviews are good,  so hopefully the supplier will catch up on demand And I can get one very shortly.
I think your van is very similar to mine so the steering wheel will be the same size.

Thanks again
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:54 pm

Given you're on grass then a rubber door mat of some sort will stop you treading some of the grass clippings and mud into the van. Before you drive blithely onto the grass walk onto it first just to check it is not boggy.

Have you got your water hose or a bucket or watering can to refill the tank ?

Have you got some levelling blocks and- if on grass- some grip mats to put under them to stop them sinking in ?  ( Actually following several sets of levelling blocks- all makes- splitting and being told by Fiamma that we should not park on gravel, we always put grip mats under the levelling blocks no matter what surface we are parked on.)

Have you got a spirit level or some way of telling if you are flat ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Brackjo Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Brilliant Quilter,

Some great recommendations and from those you mention I have some levelling blocks and mats are on order, but don’t have a hose or watering can as I’d thought the site might have these. What’s best, one of those collapsible hoses on a real.

Good call for a mat to chuck outside. Gilly had mentioned a mat some time ago but I hadn’t added to my list. I have now.
I’ve a tiny spirit level in my tool kit so I can take this.

Thanks for sharing
Regards
Brackjo
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next