The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham window leak

2 posters

Go down

Kingham window leak Empty Kingham window leak

Post by bristol170kj Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:28 am

My 14 plate Kingham has a slight leak on the side (sliding) door.  Noticed it for the first time last weekend when we were overnighting and had driving rain on that side of the van.  It hasn't happened again but we haven't had a lot of rain.  The leak appears at the top of the window and is immediately above the end (rear) of the plastic opening window guide.  So roughly half way along the window.

I took the van to a auto-window repair centre but was told to remove and re-bond the window may mean a new window.  Apparently the plastic drain to the opening window "sometimes" breaks as the wire removal tool is used to break the seal/bond.  New window in the region of £600 - ouch.

The guy recommend masking both window and bodywork and use a good quality silicone along the top of the window and down into the gap, as it isn't causing a major problem.  He recommended Unibond.  But looking at various products and wishing to choose black the options look scarce and the only Unibond I can see is the outside gutter product.  I've used in the past on a different application and not been too impressed.

I've looked at Sikaflex but am getting confused with the number of different products and applications.

Recommendations?  Anyone else had a similar issue and got a better solution.

The window guy did say that the windows come from the factory already tinted which goes against what I've heard - that AutoSleeper get it done separately???

Thanks in advance.

Keith
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Kingham window leak Empty Re: Kingham window leak

Post by NickJW Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi Keith, had the same problem! There's a detailed chain on this topic - see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers,

Nick
NickJW
NickJW

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down