The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie needing help

+7
groundhog
IanH
Spospe
Pete Taylor
burlingtonboaby
Paramedic
al64
11 posters

Go down

Newbie needing help Empty Newbie needing help

Post by al64 Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Completly new to this, weve got a cotswold eb 2010, Do we need to purchase an aquaroll and a waste water colllector , also there is no pipes from the taps under the vehicle to drain waste from, thanks
al64
al64

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : cotswold
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Newbie needing help Empty Re: Newbie needing help

Post by Paramedic Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. This is what we do that works for us. Never travel with fresh water in tank due to limited user payload. Your Cotswold previous to our Broadway, will have larger payload. The Aquaroll enables 40 litres each time to be delivered to the van on site to fill the on board tank via the Whale filler. Grey water drains from tank into Fiamma for disposal. Not sure if your van takes in fresh water by conventional hose/watering can. Other members will give alternatives. I'm not sure regarding your "no pipes to taps"? Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi
Welcome to the forum from Bridington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum; I'm sure that someone will come along with an answer to your question, however, the title of your thread might not be the best way to get expert advice quickly, as it gives no clue about which vehicle you have. If you had put "2010 Cotswold" in the title, then someone who knows about those things would pop up. Many folks don't even read vaguely-titled  posts.  smile!

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by al64 Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm

Thankyou, basically do i need a pipe to attach to my waste oulet tap.
al64
al64

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm

al64 wrote:Thankyou, basically do i need a pipe to attach to my waste oulet tap.
If you have a tap under the van to drain waste water, just drive over the Motor Home service point grating at most sites and drain out the water as you leave. If you are on a Certified Location/Farm/Primitive site, take it home and drain out there.

Read the archive on this forum, read Google....

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm

Usually, the waste taps under the van are arranged so that you can either a) park the van over the drainage grid where you are staying, or b) you attach a drain hose to lead from the tap to the grid.

It is unusual for a motorhome to either carry, or need an Aquaroll. Why carry water when you can drive to the dump point?
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 pm

The spec for your van shows a payload of 645 Kg and a fresh water tank capacity of 102Kg.
I know we all differ on this, but we always travel full fresh (Warwick Duo BTW) full toilet flush, empty grey and empty loo cassette.
If you were to travel with just 1/2 a tank of fresh, 50 litres or so in your case,  you'd have about the same as us. In that way, when you arrive you have enough for a day or two, and, if on a site easy enough to top up the tank to full. If your plan A site is closed, or full or whatever, you then have some water to see you by.
I appreciate yours has a lot more space than ours internally, but the very last thing I'd want would be an Aquaroll and waste tank! Your waste water tank is 91Ltrs so why a waste tank as well?
However, each to his own, its your van you will make up your own mind after a few uses!
BTW, under the van should be a grey tap, attached to a grey hose, usually clipped to the underside, and a blue tap, attached to a blue hose, this for draining both tanks in an appropriate location. These have a drain you drive over , usually sloped, to allow the waste water to be safely disposed of. We always drain the fresh water, either just after the last stop pre homeward, or at home, refill before next trip. We never drink the water from the fresh tank
Just a few ideas, hope this helps!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by al64 Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Sorry for being a bit thick but do the waste tanks normally hold enough waste water after a few days of use such as showering washing up etc
al64
al64

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Or you can just park over any suitably located drain and open the tap to let the grey water out if you are not using sites. I have never attached a pipe to a drain valve in many years. If in a hot area we have even been known to drain the waste water (assuming it is not contaminated) into a container and water the trees and plants with it!  

Not sure what filling system you have on your van or how you intend to use it. If using sites all the time I see no need for a bulky aquaroll, however, if you are heading off into the wilds there may be a case for travelling with a full tank of water and having additional water in containers, Consider collapsible water containers, much easier when you don't need them. In France especially where the opportunity exists to go further off grid we carry two 25L plastic jerry cans plus a further 15L collapsible container. If using sites we would just leave them at home.

Ten different people will give you ten different answers but I wouldn't go buying lots of stuff because it exists or you are not sure if you will need, we all have garages full of bits like that gathering dust!

Hope that helps a little.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:30 pm

Not being thick at all. Different vans have different sized waste tanks but generally they should hold enough for a couple of days at least. If you want to PM me happy to answer any question as best I can.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:38 pm

According to the spec I'm reading, your fresh tank is 102 litres and the waste one is 91litres, so, assuming it starts off empty, you have plenty waste capacity IMHO.
As Groundhog says 10 people replying to this will have 11 different opinions!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by al64 Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your help
al64
al64

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:49 pm

Depending on the clearance between the ground and the waste outlet tap, you may be able to use one of these if you don't want to move off pitch to a service point to discharge grey water:

https://tinyurl.com/y3vk77wc

Alternatively, you could just use a collapsible bucket (widely available from camping or fishing outlets) and empty more regularly.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:59 am

rogerblack wrote:

Alternatively, you could just use a collapsible bucket (widely available from camping or fishing outlets) and empty more regularly.
This is what I do - bucket and chuck it.  If I'm on a CL it usually goes into the hedgerow but check with the owner first.  If the site has a dedicated grey water disposal point, it involves a few treks to it every day, the frequency depending on how much water is being used.  If you are on a site with a facilities block, your water usage might be quite low.  On my previous caravan which didn't have an on board grey water tank I took a wheeled grey water container and an assortment of long pipes to drain into a hedgerow but I don't bother with either of these now.

If you don't have a fresh water roll, I wouldn't go out and buy one yet.  The traditional methods of filling the on board fresh water tank are a hose and hand held container.  Depending on how much water you use and how far away you are from a tap, you may find a submersible pump and water roll a better way of transferring water into the on-board tank but try the traditional methods first.

Last edited by Caraman on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:15 am

al64 wrote:Sorry for being a bit thick but do the waste tanks normally hold enough waste water after a few days of use such as showering washing up etc
the short anwer is yes...but it depends on how big the tank is and how much water you use each day...
we have quite a large waste tank and, when away from sites, are pretty frugal with water, even when showering in the van..
a post above suggests you have a 91 ltr waste tank, which means you could easily manage for (say) 3/4 days before having to do anything about the waste situation.....
this means that, if your site stays are short, you could just visit the dump point on your way out and not bother with other containers....
of course, longer stays will mean a different approach...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 am

Unless you are profligate in water use the waste tank limiting factor is .ore likely to be a drain smell from the sinks and shower (there are no traps fitted) than waste tank capacity. So my advice is to empty as often as convenient, using a bucket if necessary

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 am

I have one of those black containers with a side cap as well, left from our Caravan days, they are quite a weight when full and as you get older. I find a bucket much easier for waste.

I have noticed over the years that Caravanners tend to place the waste container, the wheeled ones as well, and just let it fill up and flood over onto the pitch. Not a behavior that will make you very popular on the continent. Similarly the disposal of Grey Water down roadside Storm Drains which often go into Fresh Water streams or direct to the Sea. A good way to give Motor Homes a bad name.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down