The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2

+2
Campievanner
Dolwen
6 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2 Empty Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2

Post by Dolwen Thu May 31, 2012 12:28 pm

I’ve been at it again, fiddling with the Stratford. The other half has started calling me Wesley Pegden, as something has moved or changed every time he gets in it!
Pics of the latest modifications can be seen by clicking on the link below. (Click next to advance the photos in order)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or to see all the photos including previous ones, click the WWW below my avatar.

1) I fitted a 70W GB-SOL semi flexible solar panel. The procedure is based on John Wickersham’s instructions in the latest edition of the Haynes Motorcaravan Manual, & I actually used the same make of solar panel.
The panel was bonded to the roof ridges using white Sikaflex 512 caravan sealant/adhesive. The van paint was lightly scuffed with 300 grit wet & dry to provide a key where adhesive was applied. The cable was run through the nearside b-pillar, behind the (former) microwave housing, then behind the sink splashback trim panel, into the void behind the kitchen unit, through the floor then protected with convoluted plastic tubing and routed under the van towards the battery compartment, back up through the floor to the regulator which was fitted near the battery. This solar panel is probably one of the most expensive you can get for a given wattage but it makes for a neat & descrete installation & fits exactly in the only space available on the Stratford’s roof, (& it’s made in Wales up! ).
A solar panel works really well in conjunction with a compressor fridge (which we found is the biggest drain on the leisure batteries in our van) as it provides the most power exactly when the fridge is working hardest, i.e on hot sunny days.

2) The Autosleeper cab seat covers have gone. The original peugeot van seats look much more in keeping with the cab area & the Autosleeper covers never looked like they fitted properly!

3) The truma heater controls have been moved so we can lounge on the sofa without them digging into our backs & being inadvertantly adjusted (or knocked off which happened a couple of times!)

4) Extra 230V socket added to the right of the kitchen unit.

5) Large table now ditched completely & I fitted a table leg socket in the floor between the sofas & reintroduced the intermediate sized cab table we originally ditched for use as the main table, this now stores neatly behind the driver seat in the same holders I fitted for the large table & the leg stores in the corner of the toilet compartment. The socket attached to the table was refitted off-centre so the table is multi adjustable.

6) The small rear sliding table is now removable (original sliding clip simply unscrewed & relocated) and an additional bar added to the left of the kitchen unit to clip it onto, this gives extra kitchen work surface. This table now stores on the shelf in the wardrobe.

7) Microwave removed!

8) Fiamma wind deflector fitted to front roof vent.

I’m running out of things to do now! think_smiley_46
Dolwen
Dolwen

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stratford

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2 Empty Re: Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2

Post by Campievanner Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 pm

You can come and change ours too :)

We too ditched the table but we cut a small one (as the cab mounted one) from our old table, bought a Fiamma plastic tripod and trimmed the leg ends. The table stores in the wardrobe in its proper mounting and the tripod in the bathroom.

Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2 Empty Re: Autosleeper Stratford modifications Part 2

Post by modelman Thu May 31, 2012 5:24 pm

A very nice van & a lot of very nice mods there Dolwen, what is there for you do 'do' next I wonder smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Campievanner Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Dolwen
I can think of one modification I would love to see you do. You put a great deal of such good work into your mods (we have all seen really dire examples on pre loved vans)

To fit the rear windows blinds as in the Kemerton on.
We are thinking of doing this and wonder what people think. Mainly would it be too dark ? although the rear curtains are a little naff really. We would look at fitting an extra board to make it look flush and the correct fabric.

We saw a pre loved Warwick on a dealers site for sale that had this mod done but couldn't really see how well it worked.

I know how much the blinds are from AS as I rang them up even have the part numbers at work on a jotter And the black surrounds they say you need too although wondered if this could be achieved with wood instead.
We looked at a Kemerton at Newark show and tried to work it out but hard to do with dealers on the prowl.

Anyone else thought about this ? The thing to work out is that the door angles on the inside.

Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolwen Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 am

Hi Campievanner,
Yes those awful rear curtains. We too have been looking at various options for fitting blinds to the rear doors. We looked at the Kemerton rear blinds & like the idea but think it might look a bit too much like a stuck on afterthought in the Stratford's lounge (it's fine in the Kemerton's washroom where it's not visible most of the time). It''l be something to ponder over the Jubilee weekend as we sit in the lounge, looking out at the rain no doubt! rainyday

..& a tripod for the table's a great idea & would mean we can use it outside, something else to add to the shopping list!

Thanks for the comments modelman.
Dolwen
Dolwen

Male

Member Age : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by snoman Sun May 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Dolwen.. Im a big fan of yr modifications, and i am constantly  tinkering with my own Stratford, but mainly on the interior furniture side of the van.. I notice yr latest flicker photographs now include the re-location of yr cooker and fridge, and the inclusion of a longer seating area.. What was the thinking/motive behind this (if you don't mind me asking ?) 

Thanks Ian
snoman
snoman

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2011 Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon May 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Note the previous post was three years ago.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by snoman Mon May 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes thanks Peter, I just thought he may still pop on now and again
snoman
snoman

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2011 Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Does your Sony radio work with the steering wheel controls?  The Peugeot radio with no bluetooth, usb or audio in is pretty rubbish.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down