The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Time Owner With Lots of Questions

+2
Paulmold
NewDuettoOwner
6 posters

Go down

First Time Owner With Lots of Questions Empty First Time Owner With Lots of Questions

Post by NewDuettoOwner Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Hello ASOF members and thank you for allowing me to join you. I have recently become the proud owner of a 1999 Duetto and so far am very pleased with it. Ive had it only a week and started  working through the list of mechanical and other fixes it needs. It is in very good condition for the year and mechanically sound. However, I need advice from people who have owned these machines and know them inside out. Im pretty particular about details, to the point that some folk might find it annoying, but, I like to think things through and want to look after this great van.

Here are a few things I would like to ask:

Where the plastic roof joins the metal body there is a black fascia that runs the length of the van. This is a sort of gutter but it seems water sits in it too long and has rotted the wood behind the fascia. Anyone had this problem? Looks like I will need to remove the fascia, pull out all the rotten wood then some how check no moisture has penetrated the inside of the roof etc and then reseal it and put back the fascia. Advice please.

Are all gaps in the washroom (i.e. wall joins, gaps between toilet and floor level sill etc) meant to be sealed with mastic? there are many gaps but they look like they have never been sealed, so im wondering if they are meant to be?

how long does it usually take the fridge to cool down using gas and 230v respectively?

Any idea the diameter of the fresh water inlet pipe that runs from the filler cap to the fresh water tank? (mine has a leak and I need to do a repair)

Is Puriclean the best option to sterilise the water system?

The thetford cassette toilet door works but the seller did not have a key for it, is it possible to get a generic key or do I need a new door?

I have the 3 bed infills but for the life of me cant get them to fit properly, its like doing some impossible jigsaw puzzle, and the manual doesnt help. One issue is that I cant get both drivers and passengers seat to the same height. Advice please

Any known issues with Duettos that I should be aware of?

Even if someone can only answer one of these questions it will be appreciated.

Daniel
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

First Time Owner With Lots of Questions Empty Re: First Time Owner With Lots of Questions

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm

The plastic roof joint fascia should have drain holes at the ends, so once you've repaired the wood , keep the drain holes clear.
Toilet cassette door - you can get replacement locks once you can get it open so no need to replace whole door.
Puriclean or Aquasol to sterilise water.
Overnight is best to get fridge down to temp before travelling.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

First Time Owner With Lots of Questions Empty Re: First Time Owner With Lots of Questions

Post by Achilles heel Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:54 pm

We have a 1996 Duetto. Re the bed, we push both cab seats forward as far as they'll go, and I "un-recline" the drivers seat.

Of the 3 bed infills, the one without a hard back goes behind the passenger seat, the one with the cutout goes in the middle, and the one with no cutout fits behind the drivers seat.

Only the drivers seat on our van is height adjustable, we've adjusted it so both seats are the same height.

Re washroom, as we are choosing not to use campsite showers for the time being, we will be using the van shower. I have mastic'd all the seams in the washroom as a precaution. Make sure the van is well ventilated when you do this! (ask me how I know...!)
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Re fridge, we find that by the time we've got where we're going, the fridge is nicely cool just on 12v; we don't bother to "pre-cool" it before setting off.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:09 am

Hi Daniel
Welcome to the forum from Bridington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 am

Paulmold wrote:The plastic roof joint fascia should have drain holes at the ends, so once you've repaired the wood , keep the drain holes clear.
Toilet cassette door - you can get replacement locks once you can get it open so no need to replace whole door.
Puriclean or Aquasol to sterilise water.
Overnight is best to get fridge down to temp before travelling.
Thank you Paul.

Daniel
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Daniel
Welcome to the forum from Bridington 
Boaby
very kind, thanks.

Daniel
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:42 am

Achilles heel wrote:We have a 1996 Duetto. Re the bed, we push both cab seats forward as far as they'll go, and I "un-recline" the drivers seat.

Of the 3 bed infills, the one without a hard back goes behind the passenger seat, the one with the cutout goes in the middle, and the one with no cutout fits behind the drivers seat.

Only the drivers seat on our van is height adjustable, we've adjusted it so both seats are the same height.

Re washroom, as we are choosing not to use campsite showers for the time being, we will be using the van shower. I have mastic'd all the seams in the washroom as a precaution. Make sure the van is well ventilated when you do this! (ask me how I know...!)
I think one problem Im having is the drivers seat wont push forward or lower as much as the passenger seat, based on what you have said there is obviously a problem with the seat. I'll have to sort that first.

Thank you for your response.

Daniel
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:43 am

Achilles heel wrote:Re fridge, we find that by the time we've got where we're going, the fridge is nicely cool just on 12v; we don't bother to "pre-cool" it before setting off.
And roughly how long does that take?

Daniel
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

Only an hour or two. Its a very efficient, well insulated fridge. On gas or EHU, particularly.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles heel Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am

Your query re water system; we only use the water in the tank for washing, washing up, and loo flushing.

For cooking and drinking water we keep a ?half gallon plastic Jerry can in the gas locker - fits beautifully.
Achilles heel
Achilles heel

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm

Achilles heel wrote:Only an hour or two. Its a very efficient, well insulated fridge. On gas or EHU, particularly.
I see, well I put mine on 12v whilst driving for an hour and it didnt feel cold at all. It was inspected by 2U services prior to purchase but im not sure they actually waited for the fridge to cool down for the inspection, they just checked the electrics worked etc.
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tee_cee Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

NewDuettoOwner wrote:
Achilles heel wrote:Only an hour or two. Its a very efficient, well insulated fridge. On gas or EHU, particularly.
I see, well I put mine on 12v whilst driving for an hour and it didnt feel cold at all. It was inspected by 2U services prior to purchase but im not sure they actually waited for the fridge to cool down for the inspection, they just checked the electrics worked etc.
In my 1998 Transit we have a RM4213S - it takes ages to cool down, overnight for a full fridge on EHU. I got a wireless thermometer to keep and eye on it. 12v & gas seem roughly on par, but I have only ever used when the fridge was cold to start with.
The drivers seat has 2 black levels on the right hand side to adjust the front/back height. I've only got round to looking at why my controls were not working - but the mess of levers and springs underneath put me off. So I sat on the seat, pulled the front lever up, and bounced up and down on the front of the seat and it shifted. Did the same with the back, and now the seat is same height as the passenger seat.
I guess if the mechanism is not used very often it seizes up a bit.
tee_cee
tee_cee

Male

Vehicle Year : 1998

dotsontour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:28 pm

Achilles heel wrote:Your query re water system; we only use the water in the tank for washing, washing up, and loo flushing.

For cooking and drinking water we keep a ?half gallon plastic Jerry can in the gas locker - fits beautifully.
thanks again.
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NewDuettoOwner Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:29 pm

tee_cee wrote:
NewDuettoOwner wrote:
In my 1998 Transit we have a RM4213S - it takes ages to cool down, overnight for a full fridge on EHU. I got a wireless thermometer to keep and eye on it. 12v & gas seem roughly on par, but I have only ever used when the fridge was cold to start with.
The drivers seat has 2 black levels on the right hand side to adjust the front/back height. I've only got round to looking at why my controls were not working - but the mess of levers and springs underneath put me off. So I sat on the seat, pulled the front lever up, and bounced up and down on the front of the seat and it shifted. Did the same with the back, and now the seat is same height as the passenger seat.
I guess if the mechanism is not used very often it seizes up a bit.

Thank you
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:58 am

Old Transits have a reputation for suffering terminal rust. The area around the rear wheel arches being particularly  prone. Those that have been regularly treated with protective underbody coating can reduce the risk.
The performance of fridges on 12V seems to vary tremendously, with some chilling down after a run and others barely able to maintain a cool temperature in a fridge already chilled by gas/240V. There can be all sorts of reasons for this. The 12V element may be u/s, or there could be a fault in the system supplying 12V power from the van's alternator. There are even people who don't realise that 12V only works on a fridge when the van engine is running.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down